XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
psalm40
Jet Black 135cic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Looking at an X6M...

I did try a search, but came up with nothing. I am sure this question has been asked a hundred times, so point me to a prior thread if necessary...

Anyways, I have been looking seriously into an X6M as a daily driver and really, as an all season answer to my prior 2009 GT-R. I really like what I have seen so far but wanted to hear from some actual owners.

Is the X6M just silly? I mean, does it fit a real niche, or should I keep my winter car and look at a 911 or M3? Does the 4-seater SUV with rediculous power make sense?

Once again, I apologise for such a vague thread, but the X6M seems very polarizing. Either people LOVE it or HATE it...and I have never actually talked with someone who has owned one or lived with one for an extended period of time!
      04-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
zaha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

I have had the x6m since last November (16 months now) and I love it!
It was amazing in the winter and went through snow storms faster than anything I have driven before. In the summer it is just as fun and even faster on those sunny days

I haven't driven the GTR but from what I hear it is one hell of a car. I doubt a truck will give you the same sense of speed as a smaller car. For example a non-turbo 911 feels a lot faster than the x6m imho.

Having only 4 seats has been annoying just twice and those times but otherwise people enjoy the space in the middle for their drinks

Hope that helps a bit
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
psalm40
Jet Black 135cic
United_States
Rep

Thanks zaha. Any input is helpful. I spent some time last night looking through older forum postings and found a few similar threads that helped me organize my thoughts. I would love to have the three seats in the rear, but don't really want to pay >$100k for a brand new one. I have my eye on a certain 2010 for which they want about $80K.....
      04-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm40 View Post
I did try a search, but came up with nothing. I am sure this question has been asked a hundred times, so point me to a prior thread if necessary...

Anyways, I have been looking seriously into an X6M as a daily driver and really, as an all season answer to my prior 2009 GT-R. I really like what I have seen so far but wanted to hear from some actual owners.

Is the X6M just silly? I mean, does it fit a real niche, or should I keep my winter car and look at a 911 or M3? Does the 4-seater SUV with rediculous power make sense?

Once again, I apologise for such a vague thread, but the X6M seems very polarizing. Either people LOVE it or HATE it...and I have never actually talked with someone who has owned one or lived with one for an extended period of time!

I'm sorry but can't let this pass (having extreme borg day), does a two seat sport car like a Porsche make sense (only seats two) ? not sure how the PC car thing got started but if you're a car guy "make sense " doesn't even come into play, it how does it make you feel when you stomp down on the accelerator.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
psalm40
Jet Black 135cic
United_States
Rep

Technically, a 911 has four seats, of course with the exception of the GT3, GT3RS, GT2, and GR2RS... What I need back seats for is a two year-old and a four year-old. Besides, a two seater car does make sense if you own two distinctly different cars. One being a functional SUV-style, and one being a sports car.

I don't follow the "PC car thing"? Meaning Politically Correct? I need a little clarification. Maybe you took my term "silly" as meaning non-practical/non fuel-efficient/self-indulgent? I am already all those things and more.

I suppose the root of my question is, "Can one have it all in a single package?"

or..."Can I honestly satisfy all my needs and desires with an X6M, or am I better off keeping my Subaru (winter car/kid hauler) and finding a replacement for the GT-R?"

By "silly" I meant, "Tries too hard to have it all and falls short on all fronts. Not a good SUV, not a good sports car, not good....its existence is silly and pointless, don't bother."

If all that mattered was how it made me feel when I stomped on the accelerator, then in this price range, I would be looking at a ZR1 or a 2012 GT-R.
      04-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

psalm40: Have you driven one yet? If not, I would really suggest trying one out at the dealer first. It's really a unique and monster of a vehicle! It's about as good of a compromise between the choices of cars you've listed. I've had mine for a year now and zero regrets. The only thing you'll be "compromising" on is the top speed and the agile feel that 2 seat (and +2s) sports cars/non SUV will provide. But hey, this thing weighs 5200 lbs and for it to accomplish what it does is AMAZING! Go try one out, it'll be fun! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Technically, a 911 has four seats, of course with the exception of the GT3, GT3RS, GT2, and GR2RS... What I need back seats for is a two year-old and a four year-old. Besides, a two seater car does make sense if you own two distinctly different cars. One being a functional SUV-style, and one being a sports car.

I don't follow the "PC car thing"? Meaning Politically Correct? I need a little clarification. Maybe you took my term "silly" as meaning non-practical/non fuel-efficient/self-indulgent? I am already all those things and more.

I suppose the root of my question is, "Can one have it all in a single package?"

or..."Can I honestly satisfy all my needs and desires with an X6M, or am I better off keeping my Subaru (winter car/kid hauler) and finding a replacement for the GT-R?"

By "silly" I meant, "Tries too hard to have it all and falls short on all fronts. Not a good SUV, not a good sports car, not good....its existence is silly and pointless, don't bother."

If all that mattered was how it made me feel when I stomped on the accelerator, then in this price range, I would be looking at a ZR1 or a 2012 GT-R.

Ok sorry guess I misunderstood, so what I get is you have two kids and live where there is significant snow. My kids are grown (well out of the house anyway) and I live in California so I think your questions are better answered by someone that has an X6 and deals with snow issues.

I have read here in the forums about people that have major snow having two sets of wheels and tires so I guess owning an X6 in snow country may give people a different view on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
psalm40
Jet Black 135cic
United_States
Rep

Yeah, the snow is the killer. I have a job which necessitates me being able to get to work in ALL Wisconsin road conditions, 90 degrees and sunny or -20 with 10 inches of fresh snow. I have a somewhat local dealer with a used X5M which I'll have to test drive, I imagine the X6M will drive like a X5M and sit like an X6? I probably won't be able to test drive an X6M, being that I live in a fairly "rural" area (1.5 hours to Minneapolis and 2.5 hours to Madison) and they are fairly rare to begin with. There are several in Chicago, but that is a 5 hour hike for a test drive...
      04-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
..... I imagine the X6M will drive like a X5M and sit like an X6?......
The only thing I don't know is if the X5M got the rear end that is in the X6 which puts more power to outside rear wheel in turns (granted in snow not likely something you would push the limit on) , this is what helps make the 5200 beast handle so well. Hopefully someone can clarify that.

" The BMW X6 comes as standard with BMW’s intelligent xDrive all-wheel drive technology and is the first vehicle in the world to offer Dynamic Performance Control for unique agility, tracking stability, precision and traction in every situation. Variable distribution of drive power is thus ensured not just between the front and rear axle – by xDrive – but also, through Dynamic Performance Control, between the two rear wheels left and right. This maintains a superior stabilising function even under sudden load change and in overrun."
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
STIto335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

Hey psalm40, I'm an active member on NAGTROC and your name sounds familiar.
I'm supposed to get my X5M this week so i'll let you know my impressions of it and how it compares to the GTR.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
psalm40
Jet Black 135cic
United_States
Rep

Thanks STI-
You sound pretty familiar too! I really liked the GT-R, but was ready for something different. I sold it last fall before the 2012's came around, hoping to get the best resale on it. I did OK on the resale, considering it was an original 2009 MSRP car. I can't believe that the 2012's are running $95K!
      04-19-2011, 12:06 AM   #12
dajimba
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 m6

psalm40, I too had a GTR, mine was a 2010... one hell of a car indeed... Unfortunately I live in Canada, and it turns out rare sports cars are difficult for winter time... I just couldnt stomach driving it in the winter, and hated storing it... a no win situation.

I now have a 2010 monte carlo blue x5m... I have to say, without question this is my favourite car I have had so far (previous cars: e46 m3, 996 turbo, 04 cayenne turbo, 06 m5, 07 m6, 2010 GTR) The finish, the sound, the drive quality, the acceleration, the overall performance, and the technology is just crazy. The ride is fast, but smooth... you can drive it moderately or hard, whatever you want... Its just a great all around vehicle, and in a way caters to all of your needs... I personally went with the x5m because i wanted a larger back seat. I have used the full back seat a bunch of times, also, sometimes I LOVE the rear of the x6, and other times I HATE IT... Either way, here is my input, if you have any direct questions or comparisons ask, ill answer them as honest as I can... Hope this help

One last thing I wanted to add: The only thing you lack in getting an "all in one vehicle" is the thrill of driving something different and fun once in a while. There was a time when I had a 996 turbo, and a denali... I loved the denali, but when I drove the turbo, i literally got excited. I loved the feeling of driving such a sick car, but realistically couldnt drive it everyday. BUT, if you have decided that you def. want a single car as a everyday "all in one" vehicle... x5m/x6m is the way to go!! No question!!

Last edited by dajimba; 04-19-2011 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
ZKA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 M

if u want a quick answer... i wanted all cars in one and got it. But if i had crazy money i would have many more cars. hope this answers ur question
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
STIto335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
The only thing I don't know is if the X5M got the rear end that is in the X6 which puts more power to outside rear wheel in turns (granted in snow not likely something you would push the limit on) , this is what helps make the 5200 beast handle so well. Hopefully someone can clarify that.

" The BMW X6 comes as standard with BMW’s intelligent xDrive all-wheel drive technology and is the first vehicle in the world to offer Dynamic Performance Control for unique agility, tracking stability, precision and traction in every situation. Variable distribution of drive power is thus ensured not just between the front and rear axle – by xDrive – but also, through Dynamic Performance Control, between the two rear wheels left and right. This maintains a superior stabilising function even under sudden load change and in overrun."
Their is no significant drivetrain difference between the X5M and X6M.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIto335 View Post
Their is no significant drivetrain difference between the X5M and X6M.
That's true
However, 6 will out-handle 5
It also feels closer to a car compared to 5 in all respects
Much more dynamic
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
psalm40
Jet Black 135cic
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I spoke to the Morristown, NJ dealer today regarding their 2010 "new" (279 miles) carbon/silverstone X6M. Let's just say that there is a reason that they have a two year-old car on their lot that they have had since new! They were not looking to negotiate at all (in my mind) and offered it at $88,500. My wife and extended family is from NJ and we are going there next month, so it would not be out of the question.
I am looking into ordering a new one, but HATE to spend that kind of $ on an "SUV"....
      04-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If you in the market for MY2010, you have lot's of choices
This car within 12K miles should not be more than 75K
Most likely even less if older build date
I just missed one that was sold for 75K by 15min!
It was 102K MSRP car, super clean with 11k miles, Jan 2010 build date
I was so upset...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #18
psalm40
Jet Black 135cic
United_States
Rep

The newer the better, but with my tendency to turn cars over fairly quickly, I prefer for someone else to take the biggest depreciation hit. I'd like a three seat second row, which would push me into a 2012, but I could swing a standard second row if necessary, and if I got a killer deal on a '10 or '11.
I've been watching the BMW website, Cars.com, and eBay.
      04-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #19
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

x6m

I actually think I know the car you saw at the Morristown dealership. I came in for a test drive and they would literaly let me drive it for two blocks. They seemed like a goood dealership though, I just couldn't get around the fact that they were so super protective of the car.

I ended up buying from Paul Miller in NJ - they let me take both the 5.0 and the M for a spin for half an hour each (not kidding). Give them a shot if you are in the market.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #20
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
I actually think I know the car you saw at the Morristown dealership. I came in for a test drive and they would literaly let me drive it for two blocks. They seemed like a goood dealership though, I just couldn't get around the fact that they were so super protective of the car.

I ended up buying from Paul Miller in NJ - they let me take both the 5.0 and the M for a spin for half an hour each (not kidding). Give them a shot if you are in the market.
That's it
It was Paul Miller's X6M with black leather and loaded

I gave up on searching after this miss and ordered '12
Bench seat and over 6K off MSRP did the trick
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #21
psalm40
Jet Black 135cic
United_States
Rep

I have a call into the salesman that I just bought my wife's 135cic from. He is a REAL SALESMAN, but kinda "slow" and easy to get a deal from. He is putting together an offer on a new '12 for me.
Audrey-
Would you mind telling me/us what you got the car for? PM would be fine. I have heard of $500 over invoice for the 5.0's, but I haven't heard much yet about what the '12 X6M's are going for.
      04-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #22
dajimba
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 m6

Call 708-239-0100... they have a sick white one with black interior 11,000 miles and a 2010, asking $83,000

708-239-0100... they also have a red one with black and 5,000 miles, asking same money...
Appreciate 0