XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-24-2017, 12:10 AM   #1
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X6, MHD Stage 2

Guys I need your opinion (Tires)

Right now I have NON-run flats installed

Yesterday I had a bad flat and puncture hole is big (right side-rear). So I'm planning to change it to a new one to be on the safe side.

Problem is, here in my country, my tire size Dunlop 325/30/21 is now only available in RUN FLAT Version.

Couldn't find a Dunlop NON Run Flat Version of this size anywhere, even online. Other brands of this size are also RUN FLAT only.

So basically, would it be ok for me to have 3 NON run flat Tire and 1 RUN flat tire? will that affect the car i.e. XDrive?

I don't plan to change all 4 because I still have lots of thread left on the other 3 tires. (since I dont use my car that often)
and new RUN Flat tires are expensive.

P.S. There are Michelin Non Run Flats in Tire rack, but that is also not an option cause
1. they don't ship outside US
2. and even if they do, if it arrives here in my country, taxes will be exorbitantly high.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 05:11 AM   #2
peter2772000
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6 35i Sport

I was in the same situation a couple of years ago with our X6. The dealer was adamant that it was dangerous to mix run-flats with non-run-flats. Something about handling issues.

Where do you live?
2019 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X6, MHD Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter2772000 View Post
I was in the same situation a couple of years ago with our X6. The dealer was adamant that it was dangerous to mix run-flats with non-run-flats. Something about handling issues.

Where do you live?
Thanks for your reply,
I'm from Asia, here in my place X6's are very rare.

So tires for my car 285/325 21'' are not readily available on tire shops and even BMW dealers themselves. Cause if I'm not mistaken all of the very few X6's here are only spec'd with 19'' wheels and are not staggered. X5's here also come in 19''. Size 21'' is basically non existent here in our local tire market.

So now I asked local Dunlop dealer, they said they could order me a 325/30/21 but only in run flat version. Other brands here dont have the 325 size.

I also cant sell my Non run flat tires cause no one will probably buy them.

Feels bad that I have to change all 4 relatively new tires cause of 1 bad puncture.

Besides the handling part,
Am quite concerned how will it affect XDrive?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #4
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstve View Post
Thanks for your reply,
I'm from Asia, here in my place X6's are very rare.

So tires for my car 285/325 21'' are not readily available on tire shops and even BMW dealers themselves. Cause if I'm not mistaken all of the very few X6's here are only spec'd with 19'' wheels and are not staggered. X5's here also come in 19''. Size 21'' is basically non existent here in our local tire market.

So now I asked local Dunlop dealer, they said they could order me a 325/30/21 but only in run flat version. Other brands here dont have the 325 size.

I also cant sell my Non run flat tires cause no one will probably buy them.

Feels bad that I have to change all 4 relatively new tires cause of 1 bad puncture.

Besides the handling part,
Am quite concerned how will it affect XDrive?
My 2cents: I will either replace all 4, or get a carrier/shipper that is willing to import the non-RFT tire for you from US to Asia at a cost.

Rationale is that RFT is measurably heavier than normal tire, with the additional mass on the outermost side of the rim, and hence creating a sizeable moment delta on one side of the axle. This can't be good for your ABS/X-drive/handling.
Appreciate 0