XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
PM48
Rep
Drives: 325i 2006

Tpms Malfunction

Hi everyone,
Here is my ? that can be posted on any BMW model make.
I have 2012 X6. OEM tiers were completely worn out after only 16k (70k warranty not covered by DUNLOP because they came as OEM, go figure) I was happy in the way to replace those bricks with softer rubber. I got new set/install at Wal-Mart last September (2016). Love the ride now. In February or so I started getting random message: tire pressure monitor malfunction for a few seconds especially on rougher pavement and higher speeds.
Finally took to the dealership for diagnostics along with a front driveshaft factory recall. Anyway, just got a phone call from service man with report that all 4 TPMS sensors in rims must have been damaged during tire installation and need to be replaced.
Is it possible? I guess yes, but why did it take 5 months to start malfunction. Was it vibration that did them finally in?
Called Wal-Mart and explained what happen. I was told that they (Wal-Mart) can put new (universal) TPMS sensors in and adopt them to my car free of charge.
Has anyone had this experience and will those sensors work with my rig?
Appreciate any input as usual!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 05:23 AM   #2
peter2772000
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6 35i Sport

How the heck do you damage the sensors during a tire change? And it showed up only 6 months later? AND, all four sensors? I call BS...

One sensor prolly took a dump, I'm sure it's happened before. As far as WallyMart goes, I wouldn't bring my vehicle there. I'd rather go to a trusted indy who has good references, or the Stealership.
2019 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 11:28 PM   #3
Badgeman737
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 xDrive 50i

I had a "generic" TPM sensor installed in my Dodge Nitro once. The TPMS was always going off whenever I started my Nitro. "TPMS Error" but the pressure would be reporting. In short, have BMW look at this and have BMW TPM sensors installed if one them went bad. They send specific BMW signals to the TPMS ECU. That's the way all car companies keep you buying their parts. Sucks, but true.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
PM48
Rep
Drives: 325i 2006

I picked my car from the dealership back at the end of July and their diagnostics stated that al 4 tires that I had from Wal-Mart were badly out of round and were causing vibration. They recommended replacing tires and sensors in all 4 wheels. I went back to wall mart and had them put new tires on that were bmw recommended. Wal-Mart was good about it and only charged me the price difference on the tires and no charge for the installation. The TPM malfunction went away and I put quite a few miles on since that time but 2 week ago started getting it again. I drove for 1h and had the error message pop up 4 times. I stopped at the store for about 45 min then resumed my driving for another hour and the message did not come back. I think it is some kind of glitch in the computer system itself. Well I can live with it as long as it does not pop up every 5 minutes. Drove straight for almost 3 h last week end and no error message popped up
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
eDubz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM48 View Post
I picked my car from the dealership back at the end of July and their diagnostics stated that al 4 tires that I had from Wal-Mart were badly out of round and were causing vibration. They recommended replacing tires and sensors in all 4 wheels. I went back to wall mart and had them put new tires on that were bmw recommended. Wal-Mart was good about it and only charged me the price difference on the tires and no charge for the installation. The TPM malfunction went away and I put quite a few miles on since that time but 2 week ago started getting it again. I drove for 1h and had the error message pop up 4 times. I stopped at the store for about 45 min then resumed my driving for another hour and the message did not come back. I think it is some kind of glitch in the computer system itself. Well I can live with it as long as it does not pop up every 5 minutes. Drove straight for almost 3 h last week end and no error message popped up
Did you ever get this resolved? Exact same issue with my 12 X5M.

2013 X3 35i M-Sport
Appreciate 0