XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-11-2024, 09:36 PM   #133
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post
Interesting you are still talking out of your @$&; Come and try to buy a house in CA genius LOLL. Nowadays there is no such thing as middle class, since we have an idiot of a president (which you can relate to) and certain state governments (like dumbass newsom) eff’d that up for us normal folk.

So ya, anything below 150k doesn’t buy you even a decent sized house, but a damn shack.
I don't live there, but my son and his wife bought a modest place in San Diego last year for $1.2M. I also stayed in a Holiday Inn last night, so... feeling like I might not be completely ignorant about Cali.

You hate Biden and Newsom too? Sheeet! We'd probably get along great! Not that I have a horse in the US race, but our dumbass gubberment up here is just as bad, probably worse!

Quote:
Again, talking out of your @$&; Do you even own an EV? If so, you would know it costs almost nothing to charge those cars at your house, even at a charging station it costs like nothing (15-25 bucks for a full charge) when comparing to gas. Understand genius?
Nope, don't own one and have no desire to currently. I know several people who own them, most like them, and I've driven lots of EVs all the way back to the OG Tesla Roadster. EVs are great where they work, and not where they don't. My son just bought a MY Performance, great car for San Diego. Loves everything except the tech. Misses the real U/S sensors from his 2015 3-Series, the camera based systems in the Tesla are crap, apparently.

Quote:
Loll very happy for you, good job! 👍

Just because I mentioned how Toyota turns to bmw to build them a sports car you took that as something completely different! Was trying to make a point that they can’t make a proper gas or EV car 😉 (the only tech they know is hybrid ) I mean they do only have ONE EV and it’s absolute garbage. And once again they did turn to bmw for their Supra, so what does that tell you genius.

Kid you have absolutely no brain cells, in fact you’re pretty dumb for taking that as a compliment. Only proves that you are still a virgin with nothing better to do than to TRY to troll people and feel significant about themselves. Do you feel like a big boy now? Feel good about yourself little one? Sounds like someone needs a nap

Lmao youthful energy 😂
OUCH! Get trolled much?

Dude, if we met at a cruise night we'd probably get along. Unfortunately you are too efficient at getting butthurt and turning hot air into keystrokes. I actually am tired... on the East Coast it's bed time. Take care bud, you and your free electrons take it easy now.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 09:44 PM   #134
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
Whatever happens, after owning the R1S I will hold my F82 until a all electric M4 drops.
You are comparing caveman tech to computerized precision when comparing ice to EV.Turbos are 60-70 years old!
Unfortunately, chassis development lacks because the technology is too modern. I know BMW will figure it all out.
Right now it seems the M4 may not make it that far. If the all electric M car makes it into production it seems it will be a sedan only. At least for now. That’s another reason why there is a good chance BMW will extend ICE production and possibly develop a new engine for M products because that’s one of the only ways the M4 might survive.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 08:54 AM   #135
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (G82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxx View Post
Right now it seems the M4 may not make it that far. If the all electric M car makes it into production it seems it will be a sedan only. At least for now. That’s another reason why there is a good chance BMW will extend ICE production and possibly develop a new engine for M products because that’s one of the only ways the M4 might survive.
There will not be another M designated engine after the S58.
Which leads to the conclusion, that there will be either electrified S58-hybrid M cars or fully electric.
Also, BMW clearly stated that the G87 M2 is (and will be) the last model with pure ICE drivetrain.

Incoming: 2023 F40 M135i xDrive in indiv. Tansanite Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 09:08 AM   #136
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebor View Post
There will not be another M designated engine after the S58.
Which leads to the conclusion, that there will be either electrified S58-hybrid M cars or fully electric.
Also, BMW clearly stated that the G87 M2 is (and will be) the last model with pure ICE drivetrain.
That was the plan, but as previously mentioned, BMW, along with other automakers, have been quickly recalculating their strategy due to recent trends and changes in the political environment with regards to EV regulations and mandates being reduced/delayed.

Check out the article below, this is just another example, and people I know in the industry have mentioned that this may not be the exact plan, but BMW is hedging their bet and also developing a new ICE M car due recent declines in EV demand and naturally increasing demand for ICE vehicles. So we may not see both pure "M" cars make it into production, but BMW is indeed looking into extending the ICE program.

https://www.motor1.com/news/711596/b...-and-electric/
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 11:53 AM   #137
frankatcheson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1976 2002 2005 e46 cpe

2024 BMW i5 Charging Flap wont open

I was able to assist a client of mine by getting him to do a reset by pressing and holding down the volume roller till everything is off on the screens / he went back to the Flap and it worked
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 01:30 PM   #138
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Toyota is wiping the floor with every other automaker. That brand has gone absolutely insane over the past 4 years, in the best possible way for them. They were the only brand last month that was able to increase their average per vehicle sale price YoY. They also took the number one spot and sold more vehicles than Tesla globally, first time in nearly 18 months. So as they say, the numbers don’t lie, and they are doing better than just about everyone out there.

We are also seeing targets and mandates for EVs relax, being delayed, or outright cancelled. This is due to multiple reasons, but Toyota is the one now cashing in on their decisions, while the others (except Tesla) are still trying to figure out how to make EVs work.
Only outselling VW by 1 million units is far from "wiping the floor" with the other manufacturers.

https://www.factorywarrantylist.com/...ufacturer.html

Toyota is, and consistently has been, behind other manufacturers for years in innovation, and new technology. Sales is only one measure of "getting it right" and the vision for the future. Co-opting other people's technology cannot be the plan for the future. That's the "Enron" approach.

Saying sales is the only measure of an automobile manufacturer is saying that Walmart is the worlds best retailer. It does have the most sales, but so?

When Toyota can't independently manufacture it's own EV, or it's best sport cars without the assistance of another manufacturer, I question the "wiping the floor" assertion. Toyota is very very good at manufacturing and sales - innovation not so much. The hybrids have been good, but up until now, have been sow pig ugly.

I can't say toyota is crap. I just can't. But, if I had to rely on modern Toyota engineers to design the future, that would be a sad sad day. Everyone driving a GR Camry would just be....yeeeech.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 03:32 PM   #139
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Quote:
All it is going to take is high gas prices and we will be right back to where we were a couple of years ago. OPEC has been keeping gas prices low to get people to stay in their ICE mindset. Once gas gets up again to 5-6 dollars, it's the end for it. But I get it, not everyone has the luxury to charge at home.

Last edited by NSX2M4; 04-12-2024 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2024, 04:45 PM   #140
tsbrown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
I can confirm BMW EV's are sitting on lots and dealers are desperate to give them away in Vancouver, Canada. I never come across with BMW Canada offer that low lease interest rate (1.99%)
So because I was bored I decided to look at what dealership inventory looks like. I started locally then just expanded to include a total of 63 dealers nationwide on new 2024 car inventory. All the Center of Excellence dealers plus others are included here.

I'm not in the market for a new car other than possible G60 540i so I haven't really paid attention to what's out there other than those models. I separated out between the ICE and BEV models based on how the dealer filter works. Very interesting to see that dealers are loaded with i4/i5/i7 models at over 60% of the total, but if you're looking for a 430i or M440i then good luck. Want an i4? They are everywhere.

Also notice where the incentives are right now. You don't give away $ on a product that is selling well on it's own. 7series is in its 2nd model year and 5er is only 6 months in from launch. Having lots of inventory says either you're planning on selling a huge volume or what you built isn't selling. What this will look like in another 3 months is anyone's guess.

Model/Series....qty.......%Total..............Incentives
4ser...................455.....10%
5ser...................936.....20%................ ..3.99% APR + $1000 credit
7ser...................382.......8%.....38%....... 3.99% APR + $4000 credit
i4......................1725......37%............. ....3.99% APR + $5000 credit
i5........................816......17%............ ......3.99% APR + $5000 credit
i7........................401........9%.....62%... ...3.99% APR + $7500 credit
Grand Total.....4715
Appreciate 4
Vmaxx271.50
Ibiza3612.50
eugenebmw1482.00
      04-12-2024, 09:34 PM   #141
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Only outselling VW by 1 million units is far from "wiping the floor" with the other manufacturers.

https://www.factorywarrantylist.com/...ufacturer.html

Toyota is, and consistently has been, behind other manufacturers for years in innovation, and new technology. Sales is only one measure of "getting it right" and the vision for the future. Co-opting other people's technology cannot be the plan for the future. That's the "Enron" approach.

Saying sales is the only measure of an automobile manufacturer is saying that Walmart is the worlds best retailer. It does have the most sales, but so?

When Toyota can't independently manufacture it's own EV, or it's best sport cars without the assistance of another manufacturer, I question the "wiping the floor" assertion. Toyota is very very good at manufacturing and sales - innovation not so much. The hybrids have been good, but up until now, have been sow pig ugly.

I can't say toyota is crap. I just can't. But, if I had to rely on modern Toyota engineers to design the future, that would be a sad sad day. Everyone driving a GR Camry would just be....yeeeech.

Shawn
That data is for 2023 and I have been referring to recent trends thru Q1 of this year. Especially March where almost every automaker saw flat or declining sales while also experiencing lower avg. sale price per vehicle. However, the trend for Toyota continues upwards while others decline, and they not only continue to capture more market share, but they have also been able to charge more for their vehicles while nearly everyone else is lowering their prices. That’s an extremely strong position to be in, and reiterates the strong demand for their products.

With regards to sales, we are talking about a company as a whole, not just one aspect of a company. I never said Toyota makes the best vehicles on the road, I mentioned their success with regards to what they have accomplished in the past 4yrs. They have continued to gain more market share, while increasing their prices and maintaining sales growth YoY. That’s not easy these days! Toyota makes good (perhaps not great) vehicles, but they understand how to leverage their strategy to ensure they are here for the long haul.

They have a wholistic approach, they are not focused too heavily on any one aspect of their operation. Their vehicles are not for the niche and are certainly not an ‘Ultimate Driving Machine’ because they are designed for the masses, so one could argue they will always be behind with regards to innovation.

Take BMW for example, they certainly rocked the boat with their innovative design changes on recent models and their new tech in vehicles. Some long time customers were less than thrilled with these changes, and although some eventually came around to liking these changes, others have decided to move onto to something different. So there is more risk involved with pushing innovation because it involves change and people are usually reluctant to change. People want more of the recipe they like, but just slightly better, which limits innovation. Toyota understands this, and has taken advantage of this characteristic in people. It may not be for everyone, but it’s for the majority.

So someone else may have a better designed vehicle, a more innovative vehicle, or even a more affordable vehicle, but ultimately if you are not selling said vehicles you won’t have a company for long. Automotive sales are much different than retail sales. Toyota selling 1M more vehicles than VW is substantial because it is not easy to shift that much market share YoY, that takes time and represents the very strong demand for their products. Also, automakers can’t easily swap out products on shelves like Walmart can. If an automaker has just one bad generation of vehicles it can bankrupt them or take them years to recover (Infiniti is one example).

Ultimately, you will hear most people in the industry wish they were in the position Toyota is in! And a close second is selling used Toyotas lol. Even a luxury brand dealer will get excited when they find out a potential customer is trading in a Toyota, and the total opposite if they find out it’s an EV they are trading in.

Last edited by Vmaxx; 04-13-2024 at 03:17 AM..
Appreciate 3
shawnhayes1834.00
Blue Angel1000.50
eugenebmw1482.00
      04-12-2024, 09:42 PM   #142
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
All it is going to take is high gas prices and we will be right back to where we were a couple of years ago. OPEC has been keeping gas prices low to get people to stay in their ICE mindset. Once gas gets up again to 5-6 dollars, it's the end for it. But I get it, not everyone has the luxury to charge at home.
I agree we’ll see some changes in demand as gas prices change, but not as much as before. We’ve seen in recent fuel price spikes that although demand for ICE vehicles may decline a bit, the percentage of SUVs and trucks within those sales didn’t change much. So it seems people still buy what they want regardless of the gas prices. Also, the cost to charge an EV away from home has increased significantly over the years and is no longer much cheaper than fueling up an ICE vehicle.

Last edited by Vmaxx; 04-13-2024 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 06:34 AM   #143
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I agree we’ll see some changes in demand as gas prices change, but not as much as before. We’ve seen in recent fuel price spikes that although demand for ICE vehicles may decline a bit, the percentage of SUVs and trucks within those sales didn’t change much. So it seems people still buy what they want regardless of the gas prices. Also, the cost to charge an EV away from home has increased significantly over the years and is no longer much cheaper than fueling up an ICE vehicle.
When fuel costs rose leading up to 2008 people were dumping trucks like crazy; new truck sales slowed to a crawl and you couldn’t give away a used one. The “lifestyle truck” market wasn’t as entrenched in society back then, but was well underway.

If the economy doesn’t take a drastic turn for the better soon, I think we’re going to see the same thing happen. I doubt it will drive much EV sales as the entry cost is still very high. I could see the value of cheaper used EVs increasing, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 09:01 AM   #144
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
When fuel costs rose leading up to 2008 people were dumping trucks like crazy; new truck sales slowed to a crawl and you couldn’t give away a used one. The “lifestyle truck” market wasn’t as entrenched in society back then, but was well underway.

If the economy doesn’t take a drastic turn for the better soon, I think we’re going to see the same thing happen. I doubt it will drive much EV sales as the entry cost is still very high. I could see the value of cheaper used EVs increasing, though.
We shall see, but another big difference between then and now is the fact that manufacturers pivoted away from cars and now have more suvs and trucks in their vehicle lineup. Take Ford for example, they don’t even really sell cars anymore with the exception of the Mustang. So we may just see some killer deals on trucks and SUVs but I honestly don’t think we’ll see them drastically slow down as much as we saw back then.
Appreciate 1
Blue Angel1000.50
      04-13-2024, 12:04 PM   #145
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep

All great points! Let’s hope things don’t go badly and we don’t have to find out!

EDIT: right after posting that, realized a company like Toyota with smaller vehicles to offer is in a good position if things do go badly and more efficient vehicles are in demand.
Appreciate 1
Vmaxx271.50
      04-13-2024, 01:45 PM   #146
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
All great points! Let’s hope things don’t go badly and we don’t have to find out!

EDIT: right after posting that, realized a company like Toyota with smaller vehicles to offer is in a good position if things do go badly and more efficient vehicles are in demand.
Agreed. I have no desire to go back to $60-$70 fill-ups on a 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 02:13 PM   #147
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
NSX2M4 wroteRIMAC is a much, MUCH smaller company than BMW. They would be better off hiring RIMAC designers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Exactly as technically it's a JV originally started as Bugatti Rimac so deep pockets already. Porsche then bought in 45%. So now it's 55% ownership by the Rimac Group and 45% Porsche.

So to your point far from small and Mate Rimac through the original JV is also the CEO of Bugatti. In other words deep pockets all around and no incentive for BMW to try and buy out Rimac or hire their developers.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 06:36 PM   #148
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Any word on whether this effort will include IP they lic from SLDP?
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 07:37 PM   #149
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Except if you need a vehicle that has none of the many drawbacks of an EV, but still want the efficiency of an EV for daily commuting. PHEV makes perfect sense and the market seems to agree.
Plug in hybrid might make perfect sense for a second car.

But I personally will never own one.
      04-15-2024, 07:48 PM   #150
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
What do you mean electric is clearly way beyong anything ICE has to offer [non-performance cars]? Just looking to understand your viewpoint
I personally am against the complexity of a hybrid. I’d much rather drive full electric.

But in certain parts of the world people want a performance gas car, but they’re gonna need electric when they drive into the city. For an example London.

So you drive into the city on full electric and then once you leave the city, you can fire up the fire breathing dragon again… 🤣

Once weight of the battery and the platforms can be reduced to something reasonable and the suspension and the tires aren’t being taxed by the extra weight then I believe the ice platform will drop off the face of the Earth.

I’m on my fifth EV in 10+ years.

My M car will eventually be replaced by an electric sports car, it’s just a matter of time. I have my eye on the upcoming Porsche 718 electric as the replacement.
      04-15-2024, 07:54 PM   #151
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
What does that even mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
I can confirm BMW EV's are sitting on lots and dealers are desperate to give them away in Vancouver, Canada. I never come across with BMW Canada offer that low lease interest rate (1.99%)
It’s not just EV’s… They have to give huge incentives right now including low rates because the bank rates are ridiculous
      04-15-2024, 10:43 PM   #152
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Once weight of the battery and the platforms can be reduced to something reasonable and the suspension and the tires aren’t being taxed by the extra weight then I believe the ice platform will drop off the face of the Earth.
I agree. Eventually EV will make more sense once battery tech achieves a certain cost/energy density, we'll hit a tipping point and the market will shift.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN17504.00
      04-16-2024, 12:28 AM   #153
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
I agree. Eventually EV will make more sense once battery tech achieves a certain cost/energy density, we'll hit a tipping point and the market will shift.
Absolutely, it’s just a matter of time

The dominos are already in motion… 💨
      04-16-2024, 06:44 AM   #154
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
I personally am against the complexity of a hybrid. I’d much rather drive full electric.

But in certain parts of the world people want a performance gas car, but they’re gonna need electric when they drive into the city. For an example London.

So you drive into the city on full electric and then once you leave the city, you can fire up the fire breathing dragon again… 🤣

I’m on my fifth EV in 10+ years.

My M car will eventually be replaced by an electric sports car, it’s just a matter of time. I have my eye on the upcoming Porsche 718 electric as the replacement.
All fair points. I am very much in agreement that the complexity of a hybrid (essentially you have 2 drivetrains / 2 engines) is not good. But imo, non-electric enthusiasts, will want it to overcome range exiety especially as infrastructure is built out. In that meantime dealerships, indy shops, and DIY youtube pages will be working overtime to pickup the elevated service demand.

I may disagree that the ice platform drops off the planet, the suburbs and country regions will hold onto them for a long time.

Best,
Antz
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN17504.00