XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-02-2024, 01:29 PM   #1
Nibi2004
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i 2006

X5M 2A98 error

Having a problem with my X5M 2011 with the S63 engine.
One day oil level sensor stopped working and at same time I got engine malfunction light. Among others, I Got a BSD communication dtc. Long story short, I changed Tja1050 transceivers in DME, alternator and oil level sensor. Now all BSD errors are gone and oil sensor level worked.
After 1 hour driving, engine malfunction light came back and got dtc 2A98. And now the car says oil below minimum, but oil is fine and sensor is new. pulled the oil to measure the oil level cause car doesn’t have dipstick.
Back to 2A98 (crank-intake can reference). When going through the ISTA test plan I checked the VANOS solenoid function and intake solenoid bank 1 didn’t adjust when tested, just stuck at 120 degrees. Changed the solenoid, same fault. Changed the other 3, just to be sure, but same fault came back.
Now when doing the VANOS test in ISTA, sometimes it adjust perfect and sometimes intake solenoid in bank 1 is stuck a 120 degrees again.
Oil sensor still showing oil below minimum and periodic has a IBS sensor missing error. IBS is part of the BSD line.
Any one dealt with this issue before?
Could the BSD error and engine fault be ‘connected’? Seems odd to me that both problems happened at the exact same time
My next step would probably be checking the VANOS plugs for bad connection and after that check timing..
The engine fault is not permanent and engine runs fine, just reduced power when fault appears. Sometimes I can drive half hour before getting the fault and other times I get it at start up
Appreciate 0