XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #177
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

I'm not sure if you're being a smartass or a know it all newbie with your 5 posts, but if you'd read what I said, I didn't lose the race...if anything it was filler to explain what situation I was in that caused it, which a similar situation that caused my stock set to fail months earlier. If you read the thread from beginning to end, you'll also see I know exactly what the recall is because I've had it done. I haven't lost power 100%, it's intermittent along black sooting and accompanied with a reduced power warning...the exact same thing myself and others reported when their injectors failed.

Last edited by m5james; 03-23-2016 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 12:48 AM   #178
Fats
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Has anyone had their newer Index 11+ injectors fail on them? I've got 12's now, but earlier this week was running a GTO (walked him) but shortly after I exhibited the same surging, puting and black sooting on the rear of the truck from when my 07's accompanied with the same reduced power warning and all. I haven't washed the car since to give myself a clean slate, but I swear it feels like I'm down on power, boost takes longer to build and the engine feels rougher. I don't have a CEL, which from what I've read, sounds like it's the only way to get BMW involved in replacing these injectors in general, let alone if they'd do it a second time.
M5james, my 2 cents: I suggest you taking a look at your crankcase breather/vent lines, if you haven't already. One vent line per bank (x2), one filter per side (x2) and a connector lineline. One or more of these may be cracked/and or unservicable from the intense heat the engine produces.

This could explain the soot, putting, surging during low load/idle situations re-introducing too much unburned fuel by way of blow-by back into the cylinders.

This would also explain why you have no issues at high loads (e,g. Walking a GTO )

PS: Whoa. Just saw the previous comment. Rest assured, I'm not attempting to be a know-it-all. I just happen to be going through the same thing myself and thought I'd contribute. Hoping to be a part of the community.

Last edited by Fats; 03-24-2016 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 01:09 AM   #179
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Touche...I've already replaced assemblies #1 and #8 from the RH picture with brand new parts because they were either weeping oil or loose fitting around the #2 gasket feeding directly into the turbos themselves. #1 (broke when my buddy was doing the injectors) and #3 (typical crack that leaked down the oil bridge) from the LH picture we're replaced with used lines while at the dealership, but he said all three lines needed replacing because they were brittle and broke two simply doing work in the area, so I'll be ordering everything from there LH picture from FCP Groton since I've got credit there and will be doing a complete suspension rebuild before Bimmerfest 2016.

PS - That reply was directed to X-static for the first sentence in his reply to my question.
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 03-24-2016 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #180
donho(FL)
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fats View Post
M5james, my 2 cents: I suggest you taking a look at your crankcase breather/vent lines, if you haven't already. One vent line per bank (x2), one filter per side (x2) and a connector lineline. One or more of these may be cracked/and or unservicable from the intense heat the engine produces.

This could explain the soot, putting, surging during low load/idle situations re-introducing too much unburned fuel by way of blow-by back into the cylinders.

This would also explain why you have no issues at high loads (e,g. Walking a GTO )

PS: Whoa. Just saw the previous comment. Rest assured, I'm not attempting to be a know-it-all. I just happen to be going through the same thing myself and thought I'd contribute. Hoping to be a part of the community.
This happened to me just after I had been driving hard and fast in M mode. The car idled terribly and would sputter and lurch at traffic lights. I got a CEL but no other message. It turned out to be one of the breather lines. By the way, the ECU had to be reset after the line was replaced.

I did receive a "reduced power" message a couple of years ago when one of the fuel pumps was failing. Both were replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:27 PM   #181
xpl0sive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

got my letter today. What's interesting is that myBMW still says I don't have any recalls... Dropping my car off on Monday next week. I think I already have index 11 injectors, so they may not end up changing them at all. We'll see what happens I guess...

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #182
jflow30
Rep
Drives: x5m

They change my injectors and I feel a big difference in fuel economy and no more black smoke
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #183
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

called dealer told them i got the letter provided and they finally took my car in.

this was after 4 attempts over the past 2 years to get them replaced..
      04-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #184
JeST
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BMW of North America is giving me grief on reimbursing me of what I had to pay last year to replace my injectors (CEL). I'm glad to read its emissions related. I will be pursuing them further if they deny my claim again.

Bastids.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 12:59 AM   #185
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

Anyone able to actually scan their BMW letter and upload?

Might see where they stand in AU.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #186
xpl0sive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

I took a picture of my BMW letter... see above.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 01:36 AM   #187
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Update

Took car in for some work. SA said there's a recall on injectors. Replaced that afternoon on the house.

This by the way after calling several dealers that denied the recall. Just bring your ride in. They will take care of it. It's worth the short drive.
      04-12-2016, 11:27 PM   #188
Bimmermanx5m
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey M5james what was the outcome of your issue? My x5m also still idling rough after injector and spark plug replacement?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 11:46 PM   #189
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I haven't done anything because I've been waiting to see what Travis1807 does in terms of deleting as much plastic as possible and using a catch can setup instead. I wanna get rid of the random warning because I'm tired of the part/heavy throttle stumbling I feel right before the error message goes off, but then it'd be just my luck that I spend $100 +/- and then he'd release his kit :-)

Last edited by m5james; 05-23-2016 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #190
BAKZOOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 - X5M - Melbourne

Took car in for brake noise. Was told of injector recall. They replaced all injectors. Didn't receive a notice though.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #191
Bimmermanx5m
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks M5james. Was hoping for a solution. My idling issue seems to be intermittent and I have replaced vent pipes, connecting lines, and both filtered air ducts in your diagram and still no luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #192
xxdinoxx
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Of course they come out with a recall after I had to fight with them for 2 months to have my injectors replaced. They made me pay 20% of the bill in Nov. '15 and in Jan. '16 they recall the damn injectors.
Anyone know how I would go about getting reimbursed?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #193
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

Here you go!
http://www.bmw-rp.com/production/isg...nsf/submit.xsp
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 12:17 AM   #194
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdinoxx View Post
Of course they come out with a recall after I had to fight with them for 2 months to have my injectors replaced. They made me pay 20% of the bill in Nov. '15 and in Jan. '16 they recall the damn injectors.
Anyone know how I would go about getting reimbursed?
I'd contact BMWNA. They'll probably have you send them a copy of your invoice.

I just had mine replaced when they replaced my driveshaft. They originally booked it under "investigate" and they must have needed to be replaced
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #195
gleech
Rep
Drives: BMW E46M

Anybody knows what is the warranty on the new injector?

Dealer changed all the injector last summer under the recall and sometime in fall, I experienced a CEL twice and it runs rough, and after restarting it, it runs fine. Scanned it and there's a misfire, forgot what cylinder but cylinder 1 stuck on my head, so I just cleared it and it runs smooth, so I thought that's one of the clear the code and it will go away, that happens twice to me.

And now that it is winter, I get the CEL more often and having a misfire on cylinder 3 & 6, so I'm thinking its probably the new injector, only thing that has been done is the new injectors and never had a problem prior to the new injector.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if the problem is with the spark plug or coil then it should run rough all the time, but when I don't have the CEL it runs smooth, then when it runs rough it will throw the CEL.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #196
gleech
Rep
Drives: BMW E46M

Ok, so I took my M to the dealer. And the night before, I rescanned and just getting misfire on cylinder 6. Upon opening the hood while the vehicle is running. I noticed right away that there's some weird noise. I know how the sound of BMW injector, I'm not new to the sound, and this sound is way different, the tick tick sound of the injector has more interval into it, not like a fast pace one. I noticed the fuel line going into injector 6 has a strong vibration and once you hold it you can feel it right away that it is loose. Tried to push the injector and the sound changed to the normal fast pace tick tick.

So I told it to the dealer and even showed it to them. So they changed injector 5 and 6. So right when I got to the dealer to pick it up. They told me the engine malfunction went on. And they need to do more testing.

Fast forward. I got email from my SA telling me that the cylinder head needs replacement. Turns out the injector pitted the injector bore. I asked on who will shoulder the cost and he said there's no cost to me. but I will drop by to talk to them personally. I don't want any surprises.

So if you hear something weird on your injector, check it right away. I have a video on how it sounds with loose injector and once I push it in.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #197
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Slightly unrelated but I finally fixed my reduced power warnings.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...php?p=20806604
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #198
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Couple months later, still error free...such a huge and minor relief at the same time.
Appreciate 0