XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-30-2022, 09:23 PM   #1
Jelabri
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d & E46 325i

E70 X5 diesel acceleration issues.

Hello my fellow bimmer friends. I have an E70 X5 35d and I am having issues with acceleration. When I'm at a light and push on the gas pedal the car takes a second for it to react. It almost feels like it's slipping a bit then it catches then I can feel the power. I mean my accel is worse than a 1999 Toyota Camry. Probably good to mention it has a Dinan Stage 3 tune with a custom cold air intake. It is not EGR/SCR/DPF/DEF deleted though. This frustrates me as it's super fast when any other time but when it's from a stop it lacks ALOT. It has almost gotten me in accident from merging onto a road and pushing the gas and the thing takes a second to go then all of a sudden it's FULL BOOST. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 03:41 PM   #2
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535d

LOL

By the sounds of your power situation (the only non-deleted DINAN stage3 M57 in existence) it must be your transmission slipping.
      09-01-2022, 03:44 PM   #3
Jelabri
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dubbs View Post
LOL

By the sounds of your power situation (the only non-deleted DINAN stage3 M57 in existence) it must be your transmission slipping.
Should I remove the tune until it's deleted? My buddy installed it as a surprise because he bought an X5 then sold it a week later. What can I do about my transmission slipping?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 12:55 AM   #4
conmar
Pegger
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d

Reminds me of the issues I had with my former diesel Saab (also tuned), could solve it with a transmission flush.
If not available at your area, at least have the oil changed.
Should the slipping continue you may as a last resort go for a revision of the automatic gear.
Honestly I do not see any relation to the tune, but others may have better insight re dinan.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 06:50 AM   #5
Jelabri
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by conmar View Post
Reminds me of the issues I had with my former diesel Saab (also tuned), could solve it with a transmission flush.
If not available at your area, at least have the oil changed.
Should the slipping continue you may as a last resort go for a revision of the automatic gear.
Honestly I do not see any relation to the tune, but others may have better insight re dinan.
Interesting. Thanks for your reply! A lot of people and the dealer ship do not recommend doing the transmission oil on these bmw since bmw said it's "life time" so the oil never got changed, so doing it now would cause a lot of damage according to people. Im going to my buddies today to get him to check the values on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 10:31 AM   #6
conmar
Pegger
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelabri View Post
Interesting. Thanks for your reply! A lot of people and the dealer ship do not recommend doing the transmission oil on these bmw since bmw said it's "life time" so the oil never got changed, so doing it now would cause a lot of damage according to people. Im going to my buddies today to get him to check the values on it.
You're welcome mate!
To be sure to really change all of the old oil and get ridd of residues have a transmission flush done, google e.g. for Tim Eckart method or Transmission flush Tim Eckart, to give you the idea, or have the oil changed twice, with a couple of hundred miles in between.
And forget all b.s. about lifetime oil/fillings whatsoever, it is merely marketing ballyhoo, to put it in nice words.
My ride is a 40d from 2010, currently at around 162.000 miles, the previous owner had the transmission oil changed at 118.000 miles, and I intend to have it flushed at 240.000 at the latest, earlier if need should be.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 10:53 AM   #7
Jelabri
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You're welcome mate!
To be sure to really change all of the old oil and get ridd of residues have a transmission flush done, google e.g. for Tim Eckart method or Transmission flush Tim Eckart, to give you the idea, or have the oil changed twice, with a couple of hundred miles in between.
And forget all b.s. about lifetime oil/fillings whatsoever, it is merely marketing ballyhoo, to put it in nice words.
My ride is a 40d from 2010, currently at around 162.000 miles, the previous owner had the transmission oil changed at 118.000 miles, and I intend to have it flushed at 240.000 at the latest, earlier if need should be.
I will look into that! I'm just scared to touch the trans because so many people advise me otherwise. I'm the second owner of my 35d and have all the maintenance records and it's never been done before. I'm sitting at 189,000kms
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 11:00 AM   #8
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep

If you have no maintenance records, I would start there.
Do the fluids/filters and have a good tech go through it for any missed maintenance items.

Mine is at 185kms and runs better than it did when I got it at 125kms.

where are you located in Canada?
      09-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #9
Jelabri
Rep

Quote:
If you have no maintenance records, I would start there.
Do the fluids/filters and have a good tech go through it for any missed maintenance items.

Mine is at 185kms and runs better than it did when I got it at 125kms.

where are you located in Canada?
I have all the maintenance records for my X5. And I'm in Calgary AB. That's probably a good idea to get it checked out either way to make sure everything's in line. The issue I mentioned was not happening when I first bought it. Would u recommend transmission service?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #10
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep

Quote:
I have all the maintenance records for my X5. And I'm in Calgary AB. That's probably a good idea to get it checked out either way to make sure everything's in line. The issue I mentioned was not happening when I first bought it. Would u recommend transmission service?
Yes, but the fluid may not fix it if there is a bigger issue on the table.

Mine has been serviced in Calgary by Vex Performance ( Jimmy Bailey) or at
LS Motorwerks (Sebastian Prucnal).

Either one of those shops can point you in the right direction. Vex does alot of bmw diesel stuff, they tuned my x5 (DUDMD software).
      09-03-2022, 09:34 AM   #11
Jelabri
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Either one of those shops can point you in the right direction. Vex does alot of bmw diesel stuff, they tuned my x5 (DUDMD software).
I went to my friends house yesterday and He checked the values on my transmission and everything looks great. Funny enough it was jimmy who does his tuning for his X5 diesel. He drove it as well and said That they are supposed to slip in first due to higher amounts of torque and that his X5 does the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 09:35 AM   #12
Jelabri
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Also how much did a delete cost you? Only reason I haven't yet is because it's a hefty $4k after parts, tuning and labour
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 11:18 AM   #13
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Quote:
I went to my friends house yesterday and He checked the values on my transmission and everything looks great. Funny enough it was jimmy who does his tuning for his X5 diesel. He drove it as well and said That they are supposed to slip in first due to higher amounts of torque and that his X5 does the same thing.
this is 100% false. the trans in my X5d with 185km has never slipped!

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 01:47 PM   #14
conmar
Pegger
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
this is 100% false. the trans in my X5d with 185km has never slipped!
Second this, nor did mine with 261.000 km.

Last edited by conmar; 09-03-2022 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 01:58 PM   #15
conmar
Pegger
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
I understand you are scared to touch the transmission, but to believe this explanation is, well, not the best way to proceed, sorry.
How about contacting ZF, the manufacturer of the transmission and get some insight re transmission oil change from them? In Europe they do offer this service for private customers too.
Used to live in Manitoba and Bring Cash a couple of years ago, afair ZF is located in Ontario, you could give them at least a call for your peace of mind.

Another thought: how much torque does your car have now and how much torque can your tranny handle? Should this really be the behaviour to be expected, I would start to worry.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #16
Jelabri
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I understand you are scared to touch the transmission, but to believe this explanation is, well, not the best way to proceed, sorry.
How about contacting ZF, the manufacturer of the transmission and get some insight re transmission oil change from them? In Europe they do offer this service for private customers too.
Used to live in Manitoba and Bring Cash a couple of years ago, afair ZF is located in Ontario, you could give them at least a call for your peace of mind.

Another thought: how much torque does your car have now and how much torque can your tranny handle? Should this really be the behaviour to be expected, I would start to worry.
I just contracted ZF via Email. Let's hope for a timely reply. On the other note I have 572 ft-lbs of torque. What boggles me is that these transmissions are known to handle torque in the ball park of the 900-1000 stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 11:02 PM   #17
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Hello my fellow bimmer friends. I have an E70 X5 35d and I am having issues with acceleration. When I'm at a light and push on the gas pedal the car takes a second for it to react. It almost feels like it's slipping a bit then it catches then I can feel the power. I mean my accel is worse than a 1999 Toyota Camry. Probably good to mention it has a Dinan Stage 3 tune with a custom cold air intake. It is not EGR/SCR/DPF/DEF deleted though. This frustrates me as it's super fast when any other time but when it's from a stop it lacks ALOT. It has almost gotten me in accident from merging onto a road and pushing the gas and the thing takes a second to go then all of a sudden it's FULL BOOST. Any help would be appreciated.
Probably an injector issue if you're having an initial hesitation on acceleration. Could also be a vacuum system leak. The trans *shouldnt* slip when you first accelerate but the torque converter will take awhile to lock up completely, so it'll free rev and eventually drop rpms, lock up and pull. I can't remember what it felt like stock tbh. If you think it's the trans you should try the xhp trans tune or sutphin trans tune. The stock tuning SUCKS. Both my x5d and 335d had the xhp stage 3 immediately. I also drive in m-mode with it starting in 2nd gear.
But my guess would be injectors
      09-04-2022, 01:14 AM   #18
Jelabri
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Quote:
Probably an injector issue if you're having an initial hesitation on acceleration. Could also be a vacuum system leak. The trans *shouldnt* slip when you first accelerate but the torque converter will take awhile to lock up completely, so it'll free rev and eventually drop rpms, lock up and pull. I can't remember what it felt like stock tbh. If you think it's the trans you should try the xhp trans tune or sutphin trans tune. The stock tuning SUCKS. Both my x5d and 335d had the xhp stage 3 immediately. I also drive in m-mode with it starting in 2nd gear.
But my guess would be injectors
Thanks for your help! When my friend took it for a drive he said my Injectors sound tiered. So maybe that's my culprit. We checked values on the transmission and everything's working perfect. He also suggested a transmission tune because he said the same thing. It sucks from factory.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 07:19 AM   #19
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Thanks for your help! When my friend took it for a drive he said my Injectors sound tiered. So maybe that's my culprit. We checked values on the transmission and everything's working perfect. He also suggested a transmission tune because he said the same thing. It sucks from factory.
No problem. You could start by trying an additive at every fill up to see if that helps clean the injectors. Me personally I run a mixture of optilube xpd and optilube boost, then in winter (live in Maine) mix in optilube winter blend too. Most additives don't do shit but this one seems to actually do what it says. I know that because I use to have an old 7.3 powerstroke and that stuff literally saved me in the winter with 10 F below start ups and cleaning the stock injectors in a +200k mileage truck. I went through 2 other additives brands before I found that stuff that didn't do shit. And not only that but also fixed an injector issue I had in my 335d where the idle would jump a little bit on cold starts when I first bought it at 89k.
The fuel in the US is terrible quality, not very well lubricated, they don't seem to put additives to help with fuel gelling, plus the minimum cetane rating is something like 41 (bmw actually calls for a cetane rating of like 52 on the m57, I might be off a point maybe someone will correct me). This is also the reason the newer n57 cp4 are having so many issues grenading, which is also in newer diesel pickups.
It sucks to have to spend the extra money on shit like that with these ridiculous fuel prices, but also cheaper insurance than having to replaced injectors/fuel system parts because of shitty fuel quality.
      09-04-2022, 04:20 PM   #20
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Additional possibilities:

Boost leak that turbo is able to overcome at higher rpm?

Turbo changeover valve issue (someone said vacuum leak above which could cause this - also other possible causes in this thread:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1268209)
Appreciate 0