XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 35i X6

Universal garage door opener

Hello everyone,
I have followed the manual to program universal garage door opener button on the mirror but still it is not working. Even BMW dealer couldn't do it. Anybody has any idea what should i do? Should I start thinking of some how changing the transmitter in the mirror?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Definately don't change mirror

I had no problem with the X6, however I had a real problem on my last vehicle.(non-BMW). I had to call Homelink on there 800 number and they walked me thru it. I am not sure if the BMW unit is Homelink, check the Manual. One other thought. It would be cheaper and less hassle to change the garage door opener than it would to change the BMW mirror, in my opinion. Best of Luck
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by watoowatoo View Post
Hello everyone,
I have followed the manual to program universal garage door opener button on the mirror but still it is not working. Even BMW dealer couldn't do it. Anybody has any idea what should i do? Should I start thinking of some how changing the transmitter in the mirror?
You should probably also post what garage door opener you are trying to program into the unit so that people can try and help you with it. Make and model number might help!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Some garage door openers scramble the codes (mine does). I had to program the original opener to the car then the car to the opener. Also the first time I did it I had to reset the car( two outside buttons for 20 secs I think).
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Some garage door openers scramble the codes (mine does). I had to program the original opener to the car then the car to the opener. Also the first time I did it I had to reset the car( two outside buttons for 20 secs I think).
Some garage door openers also have a dedicated remote for 'learning' purposes. It's a special remote used only to train the scrambling sequence to other remotes (e.g. the one in your car).
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

To BAK: The manual says BMW is using Homelink. I am not able to change the door opener itself since I am living in an apartment and everyone else is gonna get stuck.

I will check the brand of the door opener and if there is any learning remote available and get back to you.

Thanks for all replies so far!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Watoowatoo,
I am sure you will get the factory mirror/remote to work, it will just take some persistence. This is printed from my wife's car.
Hope this helps:

"Canadian radio-frequency laws require transmitter signal to time out or quit after several seconds of transmission. This may not be long enough for Universal Home Remote to pick up the signal during programming. If you live in Canada and are having difficulty programming replace step 3 under programming with the following.

Continue to press and hold the Universal Home Remote button while you press and release every two seconds (cycle) the hand-held transmitter buton until the frequency signal has been successfully accepted by the Universal Home Remote. The Universal Remote indiocator light will flash slowly at first and then rapidly. Proceed with step 4 under "Programming Universal Remote" to complete".

I am not sure if these operation #s will align with the manual in the BMW. I know I had a hell of a time and not till I called 1.800.355.3515 was I able to get it working. It also references www.homelink.com. If you decide to call, do it from the car near the door/gate that you are trying to program. I have never not been able to get it going when I called. This includes a H2, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, VW Touareg and of course X6.

Best,
BAK

Sorry I just realized you are not from Monteal, Canada. I doubt the 800 # I gave you will work.
I guess the only thing left is to see if you can get a number for your area or the website. Good Luck

Last edited by bak; 03-29-2009 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Not complete
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak View Post
Watoowatoo,
I am sure you will get the factory mirror/remote to work, it will just take some persistence. This is printed from my wife's car.
Hope this helps:

"Canadian radio-frequency laws require transmitter signal to time out or quit after several seconds of transmission. This may not be long enough for Universal Home Remote to pick up the signal during programming. If you live in Canada and are having difficulty programming replace step 3 under programming with the following.

Continue to press and hold the Universal Home Remote button while you press and release every two seconds (cycle) the hand-held transmitter buton until the frequency signal has been successfully accepted by the Universal Home Remote. The Universal Remote indiocator light will flash slowly at first and then rapidly. Proceed with step 4 under "Programming Universal Remote" to complete".

I am not sure if these operation #s will align with the manual in the BMW. I know I had a hell of a time and not till I called 1.800.355.3515 was I able to get it working. It also references www.homelink.com. If you decide to call, do it from the car near the door/gate that you are trying to program. I have never not been able to get it going when I called. This includes a H2, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, VW Touareg and of course X6.

Best,
BAK

Sorry I just realized you are not from Monteal, Canada. I doubt the 800 # I gave you will work.
I guess the only thing left is to see if you can get a number for your area or the website. Good Luck
Thanks for the information BAK. Good info to keep in mind

I think watoowatoo lives in Montreal AND Tehran ?!?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
leonelm3
SHOCKINVIBES MOTORSPORTS !
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001AA SC E46M3+09AudiQ7 Sline

Great info.

i am having the same issue and came to the conclusion that my garage door opener must be scrambling the codes because i read the code in the bmw manual that says if the light flashes then you have a scrambling code and you must .......blah,blah,blah. that did not work so calling homelinks 800# is my next move when i get some time
2008 BMW X6 xDrive 50i
on 22's
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonelm3 View Post
Great info.

i am having the same issue and came to the conclusion that my garage door opener must be scrambling the codes because i read the code in the bmw manual that says if the light flashes then you have a scrambling code and you must .......blah,blah,blah. that did not work so calling homelinks 800# is my next move when i get some time
Great. Let us know how you made out and what the people from HomeLink suggested you do!

leonelm3: I think this has been asked before, did you ever post pictures of your X6 with all the Extensive Performance & Custom upgrades on 22's? I don't recall having seen any pictures yet. I would love to see them
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Ok, I found the brand names of some of the equipments:
Manaras I think I the motor brand and
the receiver is KEYSTONE UNIVERSAL RECEIVER MODEL # P294-K.

thanks for all the info and let me know if you can help me with this!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #12
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Thanks for the information BAK. Good info to keep in mind

I think watoowatoo lives in Montreal AND Tehran ?!?
Haha, sorry for the confusion. I do live in Montreal now and I will give the phone numbers a try for sure. I visit Tehran as much as I can and want to make sure people from Tehran say hi!
Appreciate 0