XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
ebmwthusiast
Be Happy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6M

Low engine oil at 2000 km

I picked up my X6M a month ago and now have about 2100 km on it.

Yesterday the low engine oil light came on when I switched off the engine. When I started the engine again (with the key in my pocket), the warning wasn't there. Today I started the car with the key in the key slot and the warning came on again. After I arrived at my destination, I switched off the engine and another warning came on, which says "the engine oil level is at a minimum level". That is scary.

Half an hour later I started the engine (with the key in my pocket), but the warning did not come on. Today it's a Sunday so there are no service people at the dealership. I ended up calling the sales guy (who previously was an SA) and he told me that since the engine is breaking in, it will burn a lot of oil. He said it's not abnormal that I would need to top up the engine oil at 2000 km, and he is not sure if that will be included in the free service provision.

I will take my car to the dealer tomorrow morning for a check up.

I have owned numerous BMWs before (but this is my first M car) and it has never happend to me. Wonder if anybody on the forum has had similar experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
My M is still at almost max level, while my ODO is about 5K
I doubt these cars will need any oil before 7K
2K is definetelly BS, especially when we talk kilometers
It almost seems that your car is reporting oil level incorrectly sporadically
Maybe bad sensor, maybe you fob has something going on?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
ebmwthusiast
Be Happy
Canada
Rep

I also suspect it is a sensor problem or there is something wrong with my key fob. I will take it to the dealer soon and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Did you look in iDrive to see the graphic display of your oil level? Is it full when the warning is not there or is it showing partial level? The warning comes on when it is missing aproximately 1 quart (US spec) of oil. If the graphic display shows that it is pretty low then it is probably right. It's not uncommon for cars to use up a quart of oil in that distance. Especially during break in and how it is driven during those miles/kilometers. I definelty don't think it has to do with the key. It has more to do with the temperature, vehicle position, and how the oil is pooling back into the pan after/before a drive. The oil level is probably on the borederline of activating the sensor, so it's like on one time and off another. Once it is way below the low level, then the warning will stay on.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The oil sensor needs you to drive a certain distance at the revs above 1,500RPM before it can determine the oil level. So it usually wont show the warning at startup or if it was just a short drive.
      08-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
ebmwthusiast
Be Happy
Canada
Rep

Went to the dealer and the SA said it's normal to require another quart of engine oil for anywhere between 1,000 Km and 4,000 km, depending on driving style and whether trips are short or long (frequent short trips will burn more oil). In fact, a bottle of engine oil is included the pack in the trunk (which the sales guy never alerted me to during delivery). So the SA just took that bottle and put it into the engine. The oil indicator on iDrive then moved up to "MAX".

The SA said that after the first thousand kms (he didn't call it break-in though because the engine has already been broken in by BMW in the factory), the engine oil consumption should slow down. But will see.

Thanks for all the advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #7
donho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63s AMG

I picked up my X5 with 4k on the clock from a BMW dealer. It was fully inspected including fluid levels.

I had it for 1k miles and the oil light started coming on and off.

When I checked the level with the Idrive, it was down one qt. I topped it off and all is well. no big deal. It is not like the truck is blowing blue smoke. it just consumes oil based on how hard you drive it. Alot of performance vehicles do this.
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0