XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
kumar911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M & 2014 Cayenne Diesel

Cleaning the Engine Compartment X6 Hybrid

Hi Guys,

I was wondering of how I would go about cleaning the engine compartment of my X6. I have asked my Parkview dealer and they don't want to try it because they are worried some electrical stuff might get damaged. So I don't really know what to do when the experts don't even want to get close to cleaning it, its not a huge deal but I love my car and want to keep it in the best condition possible. Please let me know of what I should do...

Thanks in advance,

Karthic
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Google is a wonderful thing. The very first response on google was this...

http://www.autogeek.net/engine-guide.html

Just in case that wasn't good enough... here is another one..

http://www.autoeducation.com/carcare/engine.htm

Engine cleaning is an extremely general topic. Posting about engine cleaning in a X6 specific area is not the most advantageous way to use these forums...

Besides google... there is a wonderful tab on the top bar with the word "Search". Chances are your questions have been asked before. This isn't askjeeves or cha-cha answers, this is a library of information/misinformation about all different types of topics.

Here is a link to the search results when "Engine Cleaning" was entered. You are an adult. Next time please do this yourself.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...rchid=15541286

Hope I helped..

Last edited by NYCGP; 02-16-2011 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
kumar911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thanks for your help, but my problem is that since it is a hybrid I'm a bit scared to meddle with the engine compartment myself. Its a bit different from a normal engine as you may know since there are a lot of electrical components.

I was just wondering if anyone here have cleaned their hybrid engine themselves or should I just ignore cleaning it because it may not be safe.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar911 View Post
Thanks for your help, but my problem is that since it is a hybrid I'm a bit scared to meddle with the engine compartment myself. Its a bit different from a normal engine as you may know since there are a lot of electrical components.

I was just wondering if anyone here have cleaned their hybrid engine themselves or should I just ignore cleaning it because it may not be safe.

Thanks
You are the only person I have ever encountered that has one. It is a really cool car, imho. I would recommend getting a bunch of throwaway rags/cloth. Using them to clean your engine by hand. Honestly, this is the most time intensive way to do it. But, it should also be the safest. A damp cloth should be able to get most of the dirt and grime off the engine compartment. There is also the option of removing all the plastic covers and cleaning them outside the car. This is easily achieved. There are tons of manuals available on the internet if you search for them. This is the route I would go.
      02-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
kumar911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I will definitely try that, thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0