XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

What hi-fi system?!

I know Audi offers an option for Bang & Olufsen hi-fi sound system. Lexus used to offer Nakamichi and I think they offer now Harman Kardon. Who's making a similar system for BMW?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Crown335xi
Private
Rep
Drives: black 335xi coupe

i believe its the logic 7 system. I would assume Logic 7 is the brand name but i dont know much about car audio
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown335xi View Post
i believe its the logic 7 system. I would assume Logic 7 is the brand name but i dont know much about car audio
BMW uses Harman Kardon. If you select the HIFI Professional system, you will get the Harman Kardon system including Harman Kardon speakers. Logic 7 is a trademark of Harman International Industries.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
BMW uses Harman Kardon. If you select the HIFI Professional system, you will get the Harman Kardon system including Harman Kardon speakers. Logic 7 is a trademark of Harman International Industries.
+1 Also, the upgraded sound system gives you 600 watts of power versus around 300. A necessity in a larger cabin or when tail gating.
      10-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
I know Audi offers an option for Bang & Olufsen hi-fi sound system. Lexus used to offer Nakamichi and I think they offer now Harman Kardon. Who's making a similar system for BMW?
Lexus actually now uses Mark Levinson for their hi-fi systems and IMO they sound better than the Premium sound in the X6. Don't get me wrong, the Premium Sound sounds great in the X6 but not as good as the Mark Levinson system that was in my old Lexus IS350. Part of that my also be that the IS350 was a smaller car but the bass response and clearity when played loud was also better.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
+1!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
Low Note
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3/2010 X6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Lexus actually now uses Mark Levinson for their hi-fi systems and IMO they sound better than the Premium sound in the X6. Don't get me wrong, the Premium Sound sounds great in the X6 but not as good as the Mark Levinson system that was in my old Lexus IS350. Part of that my also be that the IS350 was a smaller car but the bass response and clearity when played loud was also better.
The Mark Levinson sound system used in various Lexus vehicles is designed and manufactured by Harman International. It is nothing more than a slightly better quality Harman Kardon stock system. Harman owns the Mark Levinson trade name (I actually know the original Mark Levinson, since I used to review his equipment for Stereophile magazine), but the quality of the auto systems are nowhere close to what is offered for the home (and even then, the new Mark Levinson home gear is not what it used to be). If you really want to hear a good car audio system, take a listen to the new Burmester system in the 2010 Porsche Panamera. I know Dieter Burmester well, and have owned his home audio components. This is beyond a doubt the best car audio system ever designed...and for a lot less than most of the aftermarket crap I see put into high end cars all the time for ridiculously huge amounts of money.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
thooooorgal
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 = delivery feb 2008

On 2010 X6, there is a new hifi system above the logic 7 one, which is called individual system (same as for M3).

But i have no idea which manufacturer is behind this system.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 05:27 AM   #9
minime388
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5L

i change all speakers to rockford it's super nice
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Measured bass response of professional system

I put a CD full of test tones onto my iPod and took it and a Radio Shack sound level meter out to the car and measured the bass response with all tone controls set to flat. I found it was down 3db at 40 Hz and down 16 db at 30 Hz. Even down that far at 30 Hz, I could turn the volume up far enough to make something in the car vibrate, not sure what. Any lower than 30 Hz, the speakers make bad noises when pushed. This is indeed a good sounding system but there is room for improvement at the low end. I've been thinking about a subwoofer in the spare tire cavity....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Low Note
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thooooorgal View Post
On 2010 X6, there is a new hifi system above the logic 7 one, which is called individual system (same as for M3).

But i have no idea which manufacturer is behind this system.
Harman Kardon Logic 7 system is the only upgraded audio system currently available in the US spec X6 35 and 5.0. However, I believe that the components in the X6m (US version) are slightly better. You probably have some different options in your European market (like the diesel X6 which is being built here in South Carolina but is not available for us to purchase!).
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Low Note
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
I put a CD full of test tones onto my iPod and took it and a Radio Shack sound level meter out to the car and measured the bass response with all tone controls set to flat. I found it was down 3db at 40 Hz and down 16 db at 30 Hz. Even down that far at 30 Hz, I could turn the volume up far enough to make something in the car vibrate, not sure what. Any lower than 30 Hz, the speakers make bad noises when pushed. This is indeed a good sounding system but there is room for improvement at the low end. I've been thinking about a subwoofer in the spare tire cavity....
HK uses a multi-channel class D switching amplifier in the BMW X6 Logic 7 system. The 600 watt rating that they publicize is a bit of smoke and mirrors since the common power supply for the output stage is puny. This is the main reason why any program material under 40 Hz (give or take a few Hz) audibly distorts when the subwoofers are pushed. The amp begins to clip at output levels well below the rating of 125 wpc for each subwoofer. Even the much bragged about B&O system in the high end Audi vehicles use ICE amps, which are class D. The only manufacturer I know of currently producing high quality class D amps is Halcro, who does not, to my knowledge, manufacture car audio systems. If you want to hear a really first class car audio system using analog amps with beefy power supplies, take a listen to the Burmester system option in the 2010 Porsche Panamera. Sounds almost as good as his 100K+ home audio systems.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Low Note
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Note View Post
HK uses a multi-channel class D switching amplifier in the BMW X6 Logic 7 system. The 600 watt rating that they publicize is a bit of smoke and mirrors since the common power supply for the output stage is puny. This is the main reason why any program material under 40 Hz (give or take a few Hz) audibly distorts when the subwoofers are pushed. The amp begins to clip at output levels well below the rating of 125 wpc for each subwoofer. Even the much bragged about B&O system in the high end Audi vehicles use ICE amps, which are class D. The only manufacturer I know of currently producing high quality class D amps is Halcro, who does not, to my knowledge, manufacture car audio systems. If you want to hear a really first class car audio system using analog amps with beefy power supplies, take a listen to the Burmester system option in the 2010 Porsche Panamera. Sounds almost as good as his 100K+ home audio systems.
Looks like I have to eat my words. Just took delivery of my new 2010 X6 5.0 with the HK Logic 7 premium system upgrade (two grand), and it sounds entirely different than the ones I heard in two 2009 X6's. I had heard that the Lexicon branch of HK had been working on some new class D amp technology as well as much higher sampling rate DSP, but this system has to be heard to be believed. I did a direct A/B between my Logic 7 system and a B&O 6.5 grand option system in an Audi Q7. The B&O had a harsh, metallic quality no matter what program material I used, and the low end was very inconsistent. On the other hand, the Logic 7 system in my X6 reproduces low end without any audible distortion at reasonably high levels down into the low 30 Hz range. Clarity and harmonic of voice and instruments is superb. Very low IM distortion as well. I design very high end audio systems, home theaters, and professional studios, and what i'm hearing in my mobile Logic 7 system is damn close to some of the best studio setups I've designed.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
klerk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32

2011 X6 50i EQ settings

have a friend who just took delivery of a loaded X6 50i. anyone have a good starting place for her Logic 7 settings? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
newdadkel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M CBM

+1. What should the EQ settings be? Im not an audio expert so just "tuned" it to what sounded good, but would like to hearfrom someone who knows a lot more than I do on this.
Appreciate 0