XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #23
tniermeyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Have these scratches and ordered the Novus kit in hopes that it works.

Has anybody tried the Tech 21 Impact Shield or Evo Glass screen protection kit that Apple sells? We've had them installed on iPhones/iPads and they are the only kits that look perfect that I've found and are extremely durable. I would think they would work well for this application as well but there is nothing on their site regarding auto displays and would need to be cut to size.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #24
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Gotta say, I like this thread!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 06:18 AM   #25
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I just had a go at my screen with the Novus 7100 kit and I'm delighted with the results.

But rather than remove the screen, I masked around it with masking tape and then used the cleaner and included cloth. I was amazed that this step alone removed all the scratched anti-glare coating, except for right at the edges. to address that, I bought some pink pencil erasers (the small ones with the tapered edges at each end), wrapped the cloth around the end, sprayed it with cleaner, and cleaned up the edges. The pointy end of the eraser gets right in the corners and its soft so it won't damage your screen. In retrospect, I think the masking tape may have been unnecessary as the cleaner should not damage the trim around the screen. I didn't mask the edges last night when using the eraser to clean up that hard to get at area.

So far, the improvement is huge, so much so that if the screen was in its current condition when I purchased the car, it would never have bothered me. It looks brand new for all intents and purposes. And I haven't had to use either of the polishes that came with the kit to get this result. My total investment = cost of the kit + $1.00 for a pack of erasers + some masking tape I had lying around + 30 minutes after dinner.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 06-26-2017 at 07:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #26
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I just had a go at my screen with the Novus 7100 kit and I'm delighted with the results.

But rather than remove the screen, I masked around it with masking tape and then used the cleaner and included cloth. I was amazed that this step alone removed all the scratched anti-glare coating, except for right at the edges. to address that, I bought some pink pencil erasers (the small ones with the tapered edges at each end), wrapped the cloth around the end, sprayed it with cleaner, and cleaned up the edges. The pointy end of the eraser gets right in the corners and its soft so it won't damage your screen. In retrospect, I think the masking tape may have been unnecessary as the cleaner should not damage the trim around the screen. I didn't mask the edges last night when using the eraser to clean up that hard to get at area.

So far, the improvement is huge, so much so that if the screen was in its current condition when I purchased the car, it would never have bothered me. It looks brand new for all intents and purposes. And I haven't had to use either of the polishes that came with the kit to get this result. I have no clue why my local BMW dealer wouldn't do this for me - the good will it would provide is immeasurable. My total investment = cost of the kit + $1.00 for a pack of erasers + some masking tape I had lying around + 30 minutes after dinner.
this sounds awesome, I have to do this to my screen as well, just afraid I wouldn't want to move to NBT after this
how much was the kit and where did u get it from?
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #27
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
this sounds awesome, I have to do this to my screen as well, just afraid I wouldn't want to move to NBT after this
how much was the kit and where did u get it from?
Thank you!
Its the Novus 7100 kit and it was $19.95 plus shipping from Amazon. I couldn't get it locally so I had to order on line. With any luck there may be a store in your area so you can get your hands on it right away.

Appreciate 1
boneca1999.50