XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Chamberlin
Green Beemers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 27 BMWs...and counting

Garage List
Engine cover discoloration on X6M

Hello, I am looking at picking up a used X6, or possibly an X6M - I have noticed that the engine covers on the 50i's are usually always very clean. A few of the X6Ms however, have their plastic engine covers heavily discolored, apparently from heat. I used to have a 850Ci and know that the M70 and M73 engines always had that burnt cosmoline look to the intake runners after a few years. Guys spent days figuring out a good way to get rid of the discoloration...

My question for the X6M guys though: Should I be worried that there is excessive plastic discoloration on the 2 grey motor cover "wings" when looking at used vehicles? I know that engine has to be a hot runner in general, but just wondering if it is an indicator of anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Phipsibear42
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Garage List
Nothing out of the ordinary, mine has the same issue and it can't be fixed. You can always paing the cover with heat resistent paint as well. I have done that and it's fine. I paint it once a year though lol but it's a quick fix.
      05-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Chamberlin
Green Beemers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 27 BMWs...and counting

Garage List
thank you for the first hand insight, had a feeling it was normal for the model.... anything else to look for other than the obvious stuff (mileage, leather condition, paint, etc.)?
Appreciate 0