XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #23
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Haha well they deserve special names, they're pretty unique cars after all. I think every 35i X6 could benefit from the look of the square tips, if only it wasn't a trade off. The noise doesn't bother me anymore, I honestly can't remember what it sounded like before. However, I have not yet taken it on the highway for more than 10 minutes at a time and it's usually not cruising - so I cannot comment on how annoying the drone is really.

I have another service appointment in 2 weeks for something else, but at that time I want to discuss the fitment again with everyone at the dealership and escalate it if needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #24
LK0008
Rep
Drives: BMW x6 M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doenermann View Post
Hello everyone,

as previously discussed here: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=exhaust+sound

I have taken in my car and asked the service staff to "fix" the exhaust tip fitment. I had mentioned that they were A - not horizontal B - one protruding further from the bumper and C - very low over all.

Here is what my invoice said in response to "customer states" blah blah blah:

Corrected Exhaust tip fitment. No Adjustment available for Exhaust tips.......

It looks like they may have have adjusted something or other, but I'm not sure what and whether or not it lasted. Please see the pics in the thread linked above and the 'real' photo below (before) compared to the cell pic I just took (about one week after the "fix")

On another note, I'm not sure about the sound. Supposedly (according to the BMW materials) it does not mention a change in sound, correct? Obviously it is louder and less responsive without the flap under 2k rpm (noticibly so, compared to before). I like the low rumble at idle, but don't care for the more noticable sound at freeway speeds when cruising at 2.5k rpm or so.

Could I contact BMW NA and complain about the fitment as well as the sound? Whether or not I end up keeping them is another story, but could I argue that the product is not working as specified / designed? End result being either a refund for parts and labor, or a discount (doubtful)?

TIA!
The solution is the BMW performance exhaust system for X6, its build to sound like actual V8 and car fills beefy at low speed. If you in US you can get this system on sale now from.
http://getbmwparts.com and its on sale now
I did research before getting it because of the valve removed and you will lose some low torque. with the performance exhaust system it changes everything you have on the stock model, and it also has its valve on one side, but the mufler is different as well that is how you get the V8 sound i think.
For yours which you already changed to V8 tips only, they do look wrong as a placement, i have seen the tips only changed they look centred not like on your pictures, whoever changed yours done something wrong, the tips only parts can only fit one way, and your V6 tips should be cut at specific place so they fit right. But don't get discouraged, it is not very hard to put the old valve from V6 pipe to the new one, its about $200 but take it to a proper exhaust shop not BMW, but you will lose the sound and go back to V6 sound.
below is the part and my car fitted with it and performance parts
Name:  X5exhPerf.png
Views: 309
Size:  41.1 KB
Name:  X6back.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  157.3 KB
Name:  X6frontside.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  124.7 KB

Last edited by LK0008; 01-05-2013 at 03:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #25
snipez999
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M50d

Over her in the UK I bought the 50i tips for my X6 40d.

The kit was around 440 GBP (650 USD??) and included everything on the above pictures, minus the muffler. It fitted perfectly with the stock pipes being simply cut with an airtool, then new pipes and end tips clamped on.

I have to say that I really didn't notice any distinct change in exhaust note, and certainly no loss of torque/performance. I only had them done for aesthetic reasons, to replace the wheelbarrow handles
Appreciate 0