XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #177
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

I'm not sure what you mean by ignition...why would it be on with the ignition off? Go into the sound settings on both your factory iDrive and the Android unit (it's in two different locations) and make sure gains, bass, treble, etc are set to zero and then tweak as needed. Mine sounds great and I've read about people trying to install Viper4Android but that's just overkill for me. Time resetting has been documented here and on the XDA Developers forums...there's a way around it if you read up.

Nothing new here, you've just gotta read the 8 pages here and however many are on the XDA page and you'll be good :-)

Other than the occasional time where Waze alerts plays through the dashboard speaker only or it plays through all speakers, I'm loving this thing the way I've got it setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #178
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35D

can i option for a lte moden for this android advice? im want it to sync to my phone.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #179
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
I received my unit today.
I have noticed that my screen only comes on with ignition on.
Also heavy distortion from AUX plug and time keeps reseting

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

You're saying the screen doesn't work in ACC mode? IE: start button pressed w/o foot on brake..
      01-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #180
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
You're saying the screen doesn't work in ACC mode? IE: start button pressed w/o foot on brake..
Sorted
My battery was low so kept switching off to save power.
Distortion on AUX turned out to be aux ground on combox.
Set time to original time.
JB4 working as well
So all is well!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:57 PM   #181
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Loving the JB4 on the screen
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 10:12 PM   #182
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I can't get mine to connect to my JB4 (mounted in the ECU box) yet it'll connect to the tablet that's 2' further away!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #183
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I can't get mine to connect to my JB4 (mounted in the ECU box) yet it'll connect to the tablet that's 2' further away!
This is all on the list...Avin, JB4, Meth...I need a second job. Is it bad that I dream about installing this stuff? Full on excitement, then aggravation when it goes wrong, then I get it to work and I'm happy again, then wake up and it was all a dream.

I'm sure you'll get it to work M5James

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #184
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
I just decided to use the USB to serial cable works alot faster, no issues
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #185
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ahh, I hadn't considered that. I'll have to look into if the JB4 can do both since I don't wanna lose one for the other. I want the option of running it on the screen just to see it when I'm not already watching videos, Waze, etc but ultimately the tablet is easier since it's dedicated.

Last edited by m5james; 01-30-2018 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 03:56 PM   #186
jellish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

I had nothing but issues with my JB4 and don't think I will be getting another for my x6m since Terry won't support it. Flash tune only for me. I am interested in the Avin unit though.
      01-31-2018, 04:25 PM   #187
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Was yours an actual JB4 flashed with S63 firmware by Terry or the N63 flashed yourself? I'm not saying it's you, but I wouldn't put it past them to leave some detail out about flashing the N63 version to "work" on an S63. While I don't use it to it's full potential because I simply don't know how to, I occasionally shut it off and it's truly a night a day difference. Halim makes awesome tunes, that's known...but the JB4 can manipulate even the lowest tune into something better due to how it changes signal.

Get the AVIN though, you'll love it. Music and a huge Waze screen everywhere I go occasionally watch some TV on Showbox during lunch, kids in the car, etc...totally worth it and it looks soo much better than stock and a no glare viewing angle for my 6'4" self which has been a problem in every screened BMW in the past. I'm getting their E39/E53 version for my E38 (will require a little cutting to fit) as well once I get off my ass and finish the 6spd swap.
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 01-31-2018 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:32 PM   #188
jellish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Quote:
Was yours an actual JB4 flashed with S63 firmware by Terry or the N63 flashed yourself? I'm not saying it's you, but I wouldn't put it past them to leave some detail out about flashing the N63 version to "work" on an S63. While I don't use it to it's full potential because I simply don't know how to, I occasionally shut it off and it's truly a night a day difference. Halim makes awesome tunes, that's known...but the JB4 can manipulate even the lowest tune into something better due to how it changes signal.

Get the AVIN though, you'll love it. Music and a huge Waze screen everywhere I go occasionally watch some TV on Showbox during lunch, kids in the car, etc...totally worth it and it looks soo much better than stock and a no glare viewing angle for my 6'4" self which has been a problem in every screened BMW in the past. I'm getting their E39/E53 version for my E38 (will require a little cutting to fit) as well once I get off my ass and finish the 6spd swap.
Yeah it was the N63 unit converted. I think you helped with it a bit. I was on a 2010 X5M, on to a 2013 X6M now. Will get the Avin unit for sure. Does it work okay with the side view cameras and 360 cameras?
      01-31-2018, 10:26 PM   #189
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, sorry it fight didn't work out :/

It does everything the factory iDrive did, only in 10.25" vs 8.8" so there's zero changes, but it's better in every way...vehicle info, FM radio, CD, DVD, factory nav, etc. Then you've got the limitless world of Android after you choose to use those features for everything else when you switch to that screen.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #190
emeacuna
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 e70

help please

Hello friend, I was reading this publication and I want to ask for your help.
buy the unit avin for my bmw x5 e70, with system ccc. the installation was not difficult and my unit works fine, but I have a problem with the sound of the android unit, it is really bad and very low, if I change to the original unit it sounds pretty good. when installing the unit I did not have to make any modification to the aux input, that is, at this moment, the aux oem and aux function of android. I can make some modification for the android sound to enter the aux oem function and thus improve the sound quality. thank you very much for your help
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #191
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep

I am not against anything but.. is maintaining a factory look that important to you guys?
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 1.27.01 PM.png
Views: 1477
Size:  1.16 MB
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #192
TheUtahX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardR0404 View Post
I am not against anything but.. is maintaining a factory look that important to you guys?
Attachment 1764161
This is just my opinion:

The factory look is important and the Avin unit accomplishes that, but also has the desired integration.

The unit you posted looks too Audi and out of place. I would not want that in my X5.
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      02-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #193
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUtahX5M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardR0404 View Post
Attachment 1764161
This is just my opinion:

The factory look is important and the Avin unit accomplishes that, but also has the desired integration.

The unit you posted looks too Audi and out of place. I would not want that in my X5.
^ I agree
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #194
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
^ I agree
Ditto! I'm ready to buy. Anybody know when the next gen Avinusa screen is coming out?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #195
argento
Captain
Rep

Installed...my notes...and issues....

Installed this over the weekend in my 2013 X5M. It went well, but still have some issues. I think I've worn my welcome at AVIN with all my questions b/c responses are getting slower and slower. Hence I'll post here in case anyone can help.

First, physical install notes:
1. When removing the climate control face plate, keep in mind that the radio face plate is meant to be removed after the climate control face plate is removed...it slides left and then out. There are two tabs/catches on top and two on bottom. Note, it doesn't remove completely b/c there is a ribbon cable keeping them tethered. If you pull on the climate control face plate WITHOUT keeping the radio face plate in place, then you'll break the radio face plate upper tabs/catches...or at least I did. Good thing is that the lower ones remained and the climate control face plate keeps it all tight upon reinstallation
2. This is now obvious to me, but the GPS splitter got me confused b/c I didn't realize the gps antenna plugs into the back of the radio...for some reason I thought it was on the oem monitor. Ok, so one splitter connector on the oem gps antenna connector, one splitter connector to the radio, and the last splitter connection to the monitor.
3. I ran USB and AUX cables along the inner driver side of the center console to the armrest console. There is a nice spot that goes up to the area under the shifter assembly and then to the armrest console. I filed two U shaped holes on the edge of inner trim pc that removes from the armrest console. This inner trim pc holds the aux/usb connector and lighter, square in shape. I aligned the cables in the cutout u-holes and pressed the inner trim pc back in place. I had to file away a bit on the console trey. Only the aux input cable and carplay module are in my center console. I considered buying a second aux/usb connector and hiding the aux connection...but didn't want to wait for a second connector.
4. The OEM nav monitor has a rectangular oem connector that, to my knowledge, does not get used. I tucked it away.
5. WONDERING...I had originally planned to also replace my cup holder assembly, BUT there is no way to get the knee pad bolt closest to dash, no clearance...do you really have to partially disassemble the dash to get access to this bolt??? I know...search...
6. Optical cable installation...I unwrapped the friction tape on the main radio harness and cut a slit as far back as I could in the sheething...then I pulled the optical cable through the slit and rewrapped the friction tape. I wasn't sure if this was keyed in the new avin harness, so take a picture of your oem radio harness to capture original optical cable config, THEN remove the optical cable and install the same config on the avin harness.
7. I disconnected the negative battery cable before installation. After installation I reconnected the battery cable and I got yellow warnings for BRAKE, STEERING, 4X4, and the steering was very hard and required effort to move. I rolled and clocked full left, then right...drove about 40 yards and it all cleared out.
8. Due to my aux cable issues and routing to armrest console, I wish I would have pulled on the aux cable (from next to the accelerator pedal) as I pushed the radio into place. That way I might have a chance to replace the aux cable w/o complete disassembly. I still may be able to get access tho (fingers crossed)...
9. Double check all your connectors are 'clicked' in place and properly installed. I re-installed everything and found no FM or AM stations...disassembled and luckily it was just my FM connector on the back of the radio wasn't properly connected and it had disconnected.

AVIN operation issues next post....

Last edited by argento; 02-11-2018 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #196
argento
Captain
Rep

AVIN operation issues...

While there is a lot to like about the Avin, I'm still troubleshooting so I'll only list what's wrong.

1. Does rebooting the avin consist of turning off the car power and waiting? Or is there some button to press...there's a tiny hole on the left of the monitor...
2. Changing car settings is supposed to be safe, but I've had it restarted distorted beyond operational. Eventually after swiping or touching it returns just enough to get back to the menu to change. After changing tonight, I now have a 2" strip that seems to stay in the background...no matter if I go back to the original setting where it was clean. I know I'm supposed to reboot after each change, but see item #1...this may be my fault.
3. Aux Audio is very faint and hissy...even with oem aux volume maxed out. Maybe it's a bad aux audio cable? I have to turn the volume WAY up to hear a little bit. I thought I checked the aux audio connection before reassembly, but it appears I only checked the monitor audio...so definitely perform this check.
4. Carplay sometimes does not recognize that my phone is already connected to usb and no audio. I connected to the avin via USB and then carplay audio worked. But then the next time I'm in my car it doesn't work. And aux audio is still virtually non-existant.
5. When I would press the CAR INFO icon, it always sends me back to the oem window for split screen content.
6. I connected to my hotspot, but it doesn't automatically reconnect and always initially says out of range.

That's all I'll list for now...

Thanks to everyone's comments on this thread...very helpful.

Jeremy
      02-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #197
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
While there is a lot to like about the Avin, I'm still troubleshooting so I'll only list what's wrong.

1. Does rebooting the avin consist of turning off the car power and waiting? Or is there some button to press...there's a tiny hole on the left of the monitor...
2. Changing car settings is supposed to be safe, but I've had it restarted distorted beyond operational. Eventually after swiping or touching it returns just enough to get back to the menu to change. After changing tonight, I now have a 2" strip that seems to stay in the background...no matter if I go back to the original setting where it was clean. I know I'm supposed to reboot after each change, but see item #1...this may be my fault.
3. Aux Audio is very faint and hissy...even with oem aux volume maxed out. Maybe it's a bad aux audio cable? I have to turn the volume WAY up to hear a little bit. I thought I checked the aux audio connection before reassembly, but it appears I only checked the monitor audio...so definitely perform this check.
4. Carplay sometimes does not recognize that my phone is already connected to usb and no audio. I connected to the avin via USB and then carplay audio worked. But then the next time I'm in my car it doesn't work. And aux audio is still virtually non-existant.
5. When I would press the CAR INFO icon, it always sends me back to the oem window for split screen content.
6. I connected to my hotspot, but it doesn't automatically reconnect and always initially says out of range.

That's all I'll list for now...

Thanks to everyone's comments on this thread...very helpful.

Jeremy
congrats on u unit, I'll try to answer some:

Yes to reboot the unit you do need to turn off the car and turn it back on (at one point I was looking for app that will do the reboot of Android without turning off the car and I think I was close to finding what I was looking for but then I gave up as I didn't have a need for such for awhile)

that tiny hole on the side is actually microphone so don't stick anything in there
it's crappy microphone but still...

I've changed my setting multiple times but never had an issue with screen distortion, u might want to ask Avin about it and also u might want to try to update firmware (latest 20180108)

I have yet to connect my Aux cable (I've had my Avin unit for 5mths) but I heard that cable that comes with the unit isn't the best quality so I have another one waiting to be installed

I've heard similar complains about CarPlay, I don't have one personally, I was trying to decide if I want to get it at one time but decided against it at least for the time beeing...

Yes it does.

Yes unfortunately this is how it works with hotspot, u need to reconnect every time u get in the car, one of the reasons I went with USB modem and never looked back

hope some answers were useful, good luck with u unit
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #198
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUtahX5M View Post
This is just my opinion:

Oh sad to say I developed my unit myself. I am pretty sure your fancy Avin unit can't control your sunroof, aircond, door lock, window, and remote access/start.
Appreciate 0