XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

03-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #375
fourpointeight
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 4.8i E70

Wow, really liking the 599s on the M. Definitely something different and they pop more on a darker coloured truck
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #376
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy63 View Post
Getting together with another X5M owner with KWs installed to see if that is the route I want to take.

It is the route you want to take...
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 04:04 PM   #377
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

How is the ride quality with the 1.2 H&R's...bouncy? I may throw on the H&R 2'' I'm getting from my buddy but not sure if it will effect the ride quality...I'm not willing to sacrifice the OE ride quality since my 2 yr old daughter will be riding in the truck from time to time...I know the logical way to lower these trucks is going the KW route but over $3k for coil overs is ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #378
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
How is the ride quality with the 1.2 H&R's...bouncy? I may throw on the H&R 2'' I'm getting from my buddy but not sure if it will effect the ride quality...I'm not willing to sacrifice the OE ride quality since my 2 yr old daughter will be riding in the truck from time to time...I know the logical way to lower these trucks is going the KW route but over $3k for coil overs is ridiculous

3k for coilovers is ridiculous, but 5k for headlight retrofit is not?!?

Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #379
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5 guy View Post
3k for coilovers is ridiculous, but 5k for headlight retrofit is not?!?

Lol...you got me there
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #380
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just checking...

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #381
fourpointeight
Private
Canada
Rep

The 1.2" h&r drop or the eibach springs are a tad bit stiffer but nothing bad. If you do the 2" drop i suggest changing the struts to the bilstein sport because they are meant for the lowering springs.
As long as the rear sits higher than the front then it wont be bouncy. So just adjust the rake if you have the air suspension.
If you have springs in the back than u have nothing to worry about.
I am planning on going kw v3s but in the mean time im totally happy with the 1.2" and i also have a daughter turning 3 in may and she doesnt notice. Sleeps on most rides anyways
Another route ive been debating and really curious about is the D2 coilovers. For $1200 you get a full coilover kit. Definitely worth checking out since it already cost me $800 to purchase and install the h&rs.
I dont know about the quality but the 3 people i know who have them say it rides great and dampening is adjustable. Maybe not a good option for the M guys but for the economy versions of the e70s it could be justifiable LOL
Here is a pic of the D2s installed... pretty sexy lol
Attached Images

MODS: K&N drop-in air filters, USMILLWORKS adjustable plate mount, aerodynamic kit, vinyl wrapped gloss black interior trim, one off custom rear trunk spoiler, tinted tails, magnaflow free flow mufflers, H&R 1.2" Lowering springs with adjustable links +many more
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #382
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Id really like to see BC Racing develop a coilover setup for the X5. Had them on my E60 M5 and they were amazing, even better than the KWs I had on my E60 545.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #383
fourpointeight
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
Id really like to see BC Racing develop a coilover setup for the X5. Had them on my E60 M5 and they were amazing, even better than the KWs I had on my E60 545.
I would jump on BCs instantly, have only ever heard good things about them
MODS: K&N drop-in air filters, USMILLWORKS adjustable plate mount, aerodynamic kit, vinyl wrapped gloss black interior trim, one off custom rear trunk spoiler, tinted tails, magnaflow free flow mufflers, H&R 1.2" Lowering springs with adjustable links +many more
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #384
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
It is the route you want to take...
My ride quality pretty much remained unchanged from stock with the H&R 1.2s, but cornering improved and there is less body roll + better looks = win.
So how did you feel about losing the EDC functionality?
Why do you think KWs are so much better?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #385
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My ride quality pretty much remained unchanged from stock with the H&R 1.2s, but cornering improved and there is less body roll + better looks = win.
So how did you feel about losing the EDC functionality?
Why do you think KWs are so much better?
Winter is coming...

Never cared for edc personally. I like to have my suspension be repeatable in its actions every time. Makes it more predictable. Since you went with the less drop springs I'm sure the ride isn't that bad. The 2 inch ones would really shake things up. What it ultimately comes down to suspension wise is a set of parts that have been designed to work together from the outset. This pairing is what is going to get you the extra wow factor performance wise.

All springs can ever do is be stiffer than stock since they have to limit suspension travel. Basically your stock shock is now in a constant state of compression at a point is what not designed to be. As such the full range of motion can never be achieved leading to some unbalance dampening in certain conditions.

This why certain companies that truly understand this, like Dinan for example, will offer a revised bumpstop based solution and/or revised tophat. It is an attempt to get you back into the stock shocks ideal compression/rebound range. This is also why their drop springs offer the least amount of lowering. The stock shock simply can not output at 100% anymore when compressed past it's 'normal' height do to drop springs.

The other solution is to add sport shocks such as bilstein/koni to your springs. Still not an actual pairing, but at least the shock will be in a more natural compressed height than stock.

KW's eliminate this since they are designed together. This is also why KW sets a limit on how much to lower them. Sure, KW has threads that will let you slam her, but that is well past the ideal suspension travel designed in the pairing. As such ride and performance will suffer, transitions might not work as well, mid corner bumps might not soak up, etc. Further aiding into this is the fact that the shock itself is adjustable. This allows you to tailor your feel, though based on my experience, adjusting more than a few clicks either way past the recommended settings will again put the pairing out of balance.

There is simply no way that we will ever know the constant changing forces acting on the shock and the spring rates required to effectively handle the movement. To think that we would, or that an aftermarket company only providing springs would be able to figure out the edc's continuous variable compression/rebound forces over different terrain is foolish to be quite frank.

The two single biggest improvements to these cars handling wise is a set of KW's adjusted correctly (give my specs a try), and Powerflex's 'black' thrust arm bushings. We are talking night and day, summer and winter. If you can try and talk to Jest. I believe he is the only other one here who went this route. I'm sure he could chime in. Or perhaps Cattivo could drive his beast and report on it.

And yes I like suspension.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #386
gixxerboy63
Rep

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
^excellent write up!
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #387
fourpointeight
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Winter is coming...

Never cared for edc personally. I like to have my suspension be repeatable in its actions every time. Makes it more predictable. Since you went with the less drop springs I'm sure the ride isn't that bad. The 2 inch ones would really shake things up. What it ultimately comes down to suspension wise is a set of parts that have been designed to work together from the outset. This pairing is what is going to get you the extra wow factor performance wise.

All springs can ever do is be stiffer than stock since they have to limit suspension travel. Basically your stock shock is now in a constant state of compression at a point is what not designed to be. As such the full range of motion can never be achieved leading to some unbalance dampening in certain conditions.

This why certain companies that truly understand this, like Dinan for example, will offer a revised bumpstop based solution and/or revised tophat. It is an attempt to get you back into the stock shocks ideal compression/rebound range. This is also why their drop springs offer the least amount of lowering. The stock shock simply can not output at 100% anymore when compressed past it's 'normal' height do to drop springs.

The other solution is to add sport shocks such as bilstein/koni to your springs. Still not an actual pairing, but at least the shock will be in a more natural compressed height than stock.

KW's eliminate this since they are designed together. This is also why KW sets a limit on how much to lower them. Sure, KW has threads that will let you slam her, but that is well past the ideal suspension travel designed in the pairing. As such ride and performance will suffer, transitions might not work as well, mid corner bumps might not soak up, etc. Further aiding into this is the fact that the shock itself is adjustable. This allows you to tailor your feel, though based on my experience, adjusting more than a few clicks either way past the recommended settings will again put the pairing out of balance.

There is simply no way that we will ever know the constant changing forces acting on the shock and the spring rates required to effectively handle the movement. To think that we would, or that an aftermarket company only providing springs would be able to figure out the edc's continuous variable compression/rebound forces over different terrain is foolish to be quite frank.

The two single biggest improvements to these cars handling wise is a set of KW's adjusted correctly (give my specs a try), and Powerflex's 'black' thrust arm bushings. We are talking night and day, summer and winter. If you can try and talk to Jest. I believe he is the only other one here who went this route. I'm sure he could chime in. Or perhaps Cattivo could drive his beast and report on it.

And yes I like suspension.
I totally agree, ive had the powerflex black thrust bushings saved on my homescreen ever since i read a post that u made before even installing them. My thrust bushings are shot and im waiting until warmer weather to order them and put them on. Biggest plus is that you dont need a press to get them in.
As for the suspension i personally feel 1.2" is comfortable and safe enough for everyday driving. If i were to go 2" i would definitely go with bilstein sport shocks to pair them. At the price it costs for the sport shocks and lowering springs and installation (1500-2000 here in toronto) it is still a huge jump to the 2799.99 USD kw v3s cost. (4000 CAD plus shipping and installation)
Of course nothing will compare to coilovers, but for those of us that dont drive hard and dont have money that grows on trees and are satisfied enough with a nice stance that may be stiffer than stock it is most definitely a viable option.
I personally would love to put KWs on my 4.8 but i dont feel like i would ever drive it hard enough to put them to good use and their full potential. M's on the other hand i would not trust on anything lower than 1.2" lowering springs unless its air or kWs.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #388
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray · E70 X5M

If this were a vehicle that see's some competitive track driving I could justify Kw's... but its far from that. I see few advantages for me personally in KW that just doesn't bring nearly enough value to cost. For those that want to go lower I can see it because the 2" ride quality is crap from what i've seen in another guy local to me.

I could certainly seeing the KW's apply to Gixxers NEW setup. I would assume he may want a slightly more aggressive setup to offset the aggressive wheels. KW's would be winner here. I personally just want a clean ride that appears stock to most and clearly modded to few.
      03-08-2016, 07:52 PM   #389
socale39
Major
Rep

If gixxer can afford adv.1 wheels something tells me KWs shouldnt be too much of a cost issue
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #390
gixxerboy63
Rep

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
The anticipation is driving me crazy.

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White

Last edited by gixxerboy63; 03-08-2016 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:05 AM   #391
socale39
Major
Rep

When are the wheels expected to be delivered?

Get my PM?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 02:49 AM   #392
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
(Fingers crossed that their less than stellar reputation is now behind them)
It's not. I've got iForged 20's on my E53 X5 and ADV1 22's on my Harley F150...after a year of just simple DD'ing, three of the iForged's had to be fixed and all of the ADV1's did as well. I'm damn near sworn off forged custom wheels and considering cast wheels or something stiffer just to avoid wheel repair, barrel replacement and/or powdercoating again after said repairs. I've never had so many wheel problems until I went forged...now I drive them around like I'm on eggshells and it's simply not worth the headache, especially considering their price. Seems lightweight forged wheels/barrels aren't suited for SUV vs cars that easily weight 1000lbs less.
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 03-09-2016 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 02:59 AM   #393
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourpointeight View Post
Maybe not a good option for the M guys but for the economy versions of the e70s it could be justifiable
I've written D2 and BC, both of which have said they have no intentions of making coilovers for the X5M. What I'm curious about is the differences between the X5 and X5M in regards to their suspension and what would prevent me from just ditching the airbag system all together and having coilovers only...but no ones done it yet, so I'm guessing that's for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 03:01 AM   #394
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had BC's on my E53 X5 and they were great...DD vehicle, two Bimmerfests being driven from Seattle to Hollywood and back, never an issue. Soft settings for DD purposes, harder settings for when I'm out on BMW meets. I too wish they'd make an X5M setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #395
gixxerboy63
Rep

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
When are the wheels expected to be delivered?

Get my PM?
Yes I did. Thank you for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
It's not. I've got iForged 20's on my E53 X5 and ADV1 22's on my Harley F150...after a year of just simple DD'ing, three of the iForged's had to be fixed and all of the ADV1's did as well. I'm damn near sworn off forged custom wheels and considering cast wheels or something stiffer just to avoid wheel repair, barrel replacement and/or powdercoating again after said repairs. I've never had so many wheel problems until I went forged...now I drive them around like I'm on eggshells and it's simply not worth the headache, especially considering their price. Seems lightweight forged wheels/barrels aren't suited for SUV vs cars that easily weight 1000lbs less.
Thanks for your vote of confidence in my decision to buy custom forged wheels.

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #396
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your vote of confidence in my decision to buy custom forged wheels.
I started reading this thread to get caught up around page 15, so I missed you'd already purchased until later. Sorry, you asked though. Hindsight I did searches after having to get repairs and found forums reiterating their experiences as well. My ADV1's were originally purchased in early 2013, so hopefully they've gotten better since.
Appreciate 0