XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
DBohan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X6 xdrive 3.5

Tires

Has anyone else had a problem with a rear wide tire wearing out prematurely? I have had the X6 since new in June of 2008 and only put about 13,000 miles on the summer tires. I have the sport package so the rear tires are 315/35ZR20 Dunlop Sport tires. My passenger rear tire wore out to the fabric on the inside of the tire. Alignment is good, no running at reduced air pressure or any other problems. BMW says that there is nothing they can do, Dunlop says it's not a mfg defect... I just had to spend $1400 for 4 new summer tires. I am thinking that since this was the first year of the model, the engineers may have put oversized tires on this vehicle in error but have not seen another sport model here in Alaska. I had, supposedly, the first X6 on the road up here...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

I had the same problem with my wife's 08 X5 with the same size wheel and tire. They lasted about 10k miles and weren't even driven hard. I then switched to the Bridgestone Duelers H/P Sport (Runflats), which is what came stock on my 2010 X6 M. The Bridgestones cost a lot less then the Dunlops and last a lot longer. The set on my wife's X5 lasted just about 30k, which I am satified with.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
DBohan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X6 xdrive 3.5

Thanks very much, the Bridgestone's are the tires that I recently purchased. Shame that BMW didn't even offer to help with the cost of the new tires...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohan View Post
Has anyone else had a problem with a rear wide tire wearing out prematurely? I have had the X6 since new in June of 2008 and only put about 13,000 miles on the summer tires. I have the sport package so the rear tires are 315/35ZR20 Dunlop Sport tires. My passenger rear tire wore out to the fabric on the inside of the tire. Alignment is good, no running at reduced air pressure or any other problems. BMW says that there is nothing they can do, Dunlop says it's not a mfg defect... I just had to spend $1400 for 4 new summer tires. I am thinking that since this was the first year of the model, the engineers may have put oversized tires on this vehicle in error but have not seen another sport model here in Alaska. I had, supposedly, the first X6 on the road up here...
Probably you have run-flats from factory, usually treadware reading is low in the range of 240-280 thats a very soft tire and life is short. You can switch to regular tires with treadware numbers in the range of 380-420 like the Toyo Proxes 1 and 2 models, also they cost a lot less than RF's
Appreciate 0