XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #1
mikcin
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 5.0i

Post BMW X6 Glove Box Information

Background: Recently was changing over the factory interior bulbs in my 2011 X6 5.0i. Last one to be done, the glove box. Of course when removing the bulb I shorted out the harness and unbeknownst to me - blew the fuse (more on this later). I had already removed all the paperwork and not thinking - closed the glove box (first mistake). Since it's an electrical circuit (and lesson learned ) - do not attempt to pry the door open, won't happen and you'll be buying another glove box if you keep trying. Of course the fuse layout sheet in the trunk area is of no help - gives the layout but not specifics.
#1 - The emergency release for the X6 is totally different than the X5. The X5 uses a release cable. For the X6 you have to remove the passenger side dash vent closest to the door - there you will find the release button, press it and your glove box will reopen.
#2 - The fuse is located under the knee panel on the passenger side - held in place by three screws, remove then look towards the right side and you will see the fuse panel - locked in place by a green screw, turn it (it will not come out completely) and swing down the fuse panel. Yes they are mini fuses, yes it's all the way in the back, so be prepared to work in the blind when removing the fuse.

Lesson learned - if you are changing the bulb and blow the fuse - DO NOT close the glove box unless you absolutely have to, until you get another fuse. You can always remove the dash vent in a pinch if you need to get the box back open if you have not replaced the fuse.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
Blackland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X6M  [0.00]
I did the same thing once, very frustrating!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:05 AM   #3
peter2772000
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6 35i Sport

Me three LOL. That's how I found the BMW forum(s).

Worst part is, I did nothing wrong. Turns out that the glovebox light circuit is allergic to LED's....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
steely50
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6M E71

Hi, i got the same problem after fitting a new led to the glove box, now its locked and blown a fuse or module, does anyone know the no: of the fuse or wear the module is ? i have found the fuse box under the passengers side but do not know the no: of the fuse, Please help!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #5
peter2772000
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6 35i Sport

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1105579
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
mikcin
Rep

Vey back of the fuse panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely50 View Post
Hi, i got the same problem after fitting a new led to the glove box, now its locked and blown a fuse or module, does anyone know the no: of the fuse or wear the module is ? i have found the fuse box under the passengers side but do not know the no: of the fuse, Please help!
When you swing down the fuse panel, it's all the way in the back, the fuse remover is in the trunk area on the right side where the other fuse panel is
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #7
mikcin
Rep

This will post twice - when you swing the panel down the fuse is all the way in the back, will need small hands and a flashlight, believe it's a 5a fuse
Appreciate 0