XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-16-2015, 02:20 AM   #1
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

MORE POWER/ Has anyone replaced the internals in our S63 TT

Trying to squeeze some more power out of my 2013 X5M. Already got a tune, downpipes, K&N Filters and currently running straight pipes.

Has anyone replaced the internals on the S63 TT system?

Open to suggestions as we are kind of limited to huge power gains with our fuel delivery system. It seems are intercoolers are reasonably suited to handle mild power gains but to what extent?

I'm thinking either a

1. turbo rebuild with a meth kit or

2. 2 new turbos, new intercooler, and meth kit

Open to suggestions. Got like 5-7k to play with and like I said I'm just trying to make some more power. I'm coming from a Jeep SRT8 that was pushing 850hp @12lbs and this BMW fuel delivery dilemma is a tough one to negotiate around. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis

1 more question
Is anyone one running a catch can on their TT setup? It seems illogical that we not run a catch can but I haven't seen anything aftermarket for the X5M. I had a custom Catch can on my Jeep that vented to the atmosphere. Would this throw any trouble codes? Problems with venting to the atmosphere as compared to a closed system?

Last edited by Travis1807; 12-16-2015 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: additional question to post
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Adding a meth injection kit, and a proper dyno based tune is going to net you some very nice gains. Even if it were just water injection too... It's also very affordable in the grand scheme of BMW specialty parts or M specialty parts.

Make sure to get a proper meth/water kit with proper safe guards!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
muddycharles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M sport

Don't forget the tranny

I did what you are suggesting to an audi allroad and ended up with a 450hp car and a broken tranny. That then required a race tranny which fortunately I was able to source but it was not cheap.

Make sure the tranny can handle it or else it will end very expensively.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
Crazy1323
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

One option could be the exhaust manifold off of the S63Tu. I think it can get some more power out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Travis,

Wow, you're ambitious! 850hp! Not sure you'll get, or want, that out of the S63. Like someone else posted, I imagine you'll run into driveline issue, (e.g. broken driveshaft, exploded tranny, etc.), but there's nothing wrong with a dream!

This is a link to an article that was posted by another forum member that I thought was informative and may give you some contacts or leads for your project:

http://www.***********.com/content.p...and-S63-motors

Regarding the catch can, I bought one from ECS:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...Can/ES2816993/

But in all honesty, I don't think "breaking the seal" really appeals to many here because of the obvious warranty issues and the potentially HIGH cost of failure. It would be interesting to see someone go nuts on the S63 and take it to its very limits, but it'll take someone with deep pockets! And being single would probably help too!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Any more info or pics of your catch can setup? You had a chance to see how much oil it's catching yet?
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
Any more info or pics of your catch can setup? You had a chance to see how much oil it's catching yet?

The installation is pretty straight forward and just about anyone with reasonable mechanical skills should have no problems. Having said that, in the spirit of full disclosure, I didn't do the install. SO, let me give a plug for the guys at http://europeanautogarage.com - they did the install.

Before you flame me, let me explain. I just moved to Knoxville and all my household goods are in storage so I don't have access to tools or a garage. If that were not the case I would have done this myself, so don't let that be a factor, this is definitely a DIY.

The return lines to the intakes are easily identifiable after the splitter. Cut the line where it comes out of the PCV port and then splice in the c/c. You can buy the hose and clamps at any auto store. I wanted to do s/s lines with aluminum fittings but there's nobody local who could manufacture them for me. With the cover you don't really see them anyway. The mounting points are drilled through the plastic bulkhead partition and fastened with the supplied screws.

Pretty easy install. Now you have something to do this weekend!

I've had the can on for about 1,500 miles and the dipstick was coated with dirty oil and had a "drip" at the end. Not sure if that's the actual level or just the condensed oil accumulating at the end. Either way it does work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Awesome! Definitely going to have to do this. You wouldn't happen to know the diameter of the hoses would you?

To the op sorry about the thread jack. jrmccain here is I think one of the first people to get a catch can fitted on an X5M so I wanted to get him before he ran away.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain View Post

I've had the can on for about 1,500 miles and the dipstick was coated with dirty oil and had a "drip" at the end. Not sure if that's the actual level or just the condensed oil accumulating at the end. Either way it does work.
First- this is an awesome mod I will definitely be doing...Second- a BMW with a dipstick??? where???
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #10
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
First- this is an awesome mod I will definitely be doing...Second- a BMW with a dipstick??? where???
No, my mistake, should have been more clear. The dipstick is on the catch can, (the small knob on the top), you can check to and see if you need to unscrew the can and empty it. Think of a jar with its lid screwed on, mounted to the wall ,with some hoses coming out of it. The jar just drops down and you empty it. Hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
Adding a meth injection kit, and a proper dyno based tune is going to net you some very nice gains. Even if it were just water injection too... It's also very affordable in the grand scheme of BMW specialty parts or M specialty parts.

Make sure to get a proper meth/water kit with proper safe guards!
What safe guards are you referring to? I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything b/c dealing with this engine is completely different from what I'm used to.

Do you have any recommendations for a meth/water kit? I used a snow performance kit on my jeep with great results.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 11:15 PM   #12
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Travis,

You said you had great success with you Jeep, how often did you find yourself having to fill the tank on your meth kit? I'm just wondering how much maintenance something like this would be on a daily driver. I realize that they don't spray unless there is a set amount of boost achieved but I'm curious to know on average how often between fill ups?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis1807 View Post
Trying to squeeze some more power out of my 2013 X5M. Already got a tune, downpipes, K&N Filters and currently running straight pipes.

Has anyone replaced the internals on the S63 TT system?

Open to suggestions as we are kind of limited to huge power gains with our fuel delivery system. It seems are intercoolers are reasonably suited to handle mild power gains but to what extent?

I'm thinking either a

1. turbo rebuild with a meth kit or

2. 2 new turbos, new intercooler, and meth kit

Open to suggestions. Got like 5-7k to play with and like I said I'm just trying to make some more power. I'm coming from a Jeep SRT8 that was pushing 850hp @12lbs and this BMW fuel delivery dilemma is a tough one to negotiate around. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis

1 more question
Is anyone one running a catch can on their TT setup? It seems illogical that we not run a catch can but I haven't seen anything aftermarket for the X5M. I had a custom Catch can on my Jeep that vented to the atmosphere. Would this throw any trouble codes? Problems with venting to the atmosphere as compared to a closed system?
pp performance turbo up grades brings you to 850 hp....7k will get no where, i think their kit is 30k
      12-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #14
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
What safe guards are you referring to? I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything b/c dealing with this engine is completely different from what I'm used to.

Do you have any recommendations for a meth/water kit? I used a snow performance kit on my jeep with great results.
Snow does a pretty good kit, and very cost competitive. Obviously if you spend more, you get more. Something like AquaMist offers more features and safety failsales. CoolingMist had a very nice integrated system to check out if dash space is a premium.

Here is a great writeup by I think an employee of AquaMist, and he's done a great job of not showing any bias, just posting facts and specs of all models of kits
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958995
      12-30-2015, 05:06 AM   #15
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Meth Kit usage

Quote:
Travis,

You said you had great success with you Jeep, how often did you find yourself having to fill the tank on your meth kit? I'm just wondering how much maintenance something like this would be on a daily driver. I realize that they don't spray unless there is a set amount of boost achieved but I'm curious to know on average how often between fill ups?
I had a 2 gallon tank for the meth kit and I believe that I probably went a bit to big for my actual needs. The jeep wasn't a daily driver so I only had the meth kit set up so it would come on when i was running my race tune. All and all I only filled the thing up a handful of times.

To answer your question it really depends on the size of tank you get with your meth kit and under what conditions you'll be using it. I've seen 35 gallon reservoirs that have been mounted in semi's and 3 qt. reservoirs mounted under the hood of a VW Bug so it really depends on your space limitations and the amount of use it will see. hope that helped I know that my answer was pretty subjective.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #16
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had a 2 gallon tank for the meth kit and I believe that I probably went a bit to big for my actual needs. The jeep wasn't a daily driver so I only had the meth kit set up so it would come on when i was running my race tune. All and all I only filled the thing up a handful of times.

To answer your question it really depends on the size of tank you get with your meth kit and under what conditions you'll be using it. I've seen 35 gallon reservoirs that have been mounted in semi's and 3 qt. reservoirs mounted under the hood of a VW Bug so it really depends on your space limitations and the amount of use it will see. hope that helped I know that my answer was pretty subjective.
Thanks! Yeah, that helps. I looked around the internet and found that your answer was the general consensus - user specific.

I'll have to do some more research - hopefully I'll run into someone with this setup - before I make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #17
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The installation is pretty straight forward and just about anyone with reasonable mechanical skills should have no problems. Having said that, in the spirit of full disclosure, I didn't do the install. SO, let me give a plug for the guys at http://europeanautogarage.com - they did the install.

Before you flame me, let me explain. I just moved to Knoxville and all my household goods are in storage so I don't have access to tools or a garage. If that were not the case I would have done this myself, so don't let that be a factor, this is definitely a DIY.

The return lines to the intakes are easily identifiable after the splitter. Cut the line where it comes out of the PCV port and then splice in the c/c. You can buy the hose and clamps at any auto store. I wanted to do s/s lines with aluminum fittings but there's nobody local who could manufacture them for me. With the cover you don't really see them anyway. The mounting points are drilled through the plastic bulkhead partition and fastened with the supplied screws.

Pretty easy install. Now you have something to do this weekend!

I'm working on my catchcan set up and I'm hoping you could clear a couple things up for me. In your comments you said "to cut the line where it comes out of the PCV port and then splice in the catchcan". Your picture reflects your catchcan plumbed into the system before the PCV. Unless I'm mistaken the PCV valve is that plastic hump that is just before the air intake duct? I have a new thread posted entitled "Breakdown:X5M CCV system & dual catch can plans" that summarizes my theory on how our CCV sys. works and if you have time maybe you could read it. I just want to know if there is something that I have wrong before I start installing my catchcans. Please don't think I'm trying to start a pissing contest b/c I will be the first to admit I'm not real familiar with these engines. I'm just trying to figure this out so I don't do something stupid.

I came to my conclusion by taking apart that plastic hump and seeing the flapper valve inside which is a one way check valve or a PCV valve. I know that some engines have PCV valves built into them at the fitting where the pipe for the CCV system connects to the crankcase. I looked and didn't see any kind of PCV valve at either of the fittings that connect into the CCV sys. from the engine on the upper portion of the motor.

The way you have yours plumbed now with the catch can behind the 3 to 1 fitting won't you will only be catching vapors from that 1 exit point from the engine?

If you placed the inlet pipe of the catchcan on the middle pipe on the 3 side of the 3 to 1 fitting after the PCV valve and then the exit pipe from the catch can to the air intake duct I think you would clean all the blow-by and oil vapor from not only the 5-8 side but also the 1-4 side.

The point for insertion I just outlined for the catchcan resides after the connecting pipe from the 1-4 side so won't it help to clean both sides?

I guess the biggest thing is just to clear up where the PCV valve is b/c that will make a lot more sense out of all of this.
      04-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #18
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Travis,

No offense taken. Especially if I'm doing something stupid! ;-)

I will take a look your thread and try to determine if my setup it correct.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #19
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Do we need a catch can per bank, two in total?
Appreciate 0