XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
muhanda1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 320d E90 MY10

2010 X5 delay to take off

Bought the X5 second hand just over 3 months ago.
There is a considerable delay to take off when the accelerator is pressed.
Dealer said its normal in turbo charge system.
I do not know whether its true. Is there anyone with similar experience?
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
What X5? Gasser, diesel?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Beakster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M2 w/3 pedals

Try putting the trans in sport mode (move shift lever to the left)...this forces the trans into 1st gear when you come to a stop. If yours is like mine, many times, the trans starts off in 2nd gear from a stop. In my opinion, this is what is causing the lack of responsiveness off the line.
      09-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
muhanda1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 320d E90 MY10

Thanks gents for spending your time to reply me.
It's a diesel.
Yes that's exactly how It feels like starting from 2nd gear. Never thought of that. Is there a way to check which gear it's in?
This is my wife's car. It's not easy to explain to her to pick up in sports mode then change to auto. But it's a good alternative for me when I drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:03 AM   #5
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
DS mode for diesel doesn't really work. All it does is keep gears longer. Torque is just not in higher RPMs for diesels.

I found the vehicle behaves differently depending how hard accelerator is pressed from standstill. If you punch it, it will delay (to spool turbos?). If pressed normally, usually no delay that I notice.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
Beakster
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
DS mode for diesel doesn't really work. All it does is keep gears longer. Torque is just not in higher RPMs for diesels.

I found the vehicle behaves differently depending how hard accelerator is pressed from standstill. If you punch it, it will delay (to spool turbos?). If pressed normally, usually no delay that I notice.
I agree with you for the most part, but Sport mode shifts the trans into 1st gear everytime. Normal mode does not. DS eliminates the delay on acceleration from a dead stop. I believe the delay the OP is referencing is a trans issue, not turbo lag.

I am somewhat of an expert on turbo lag as my daily driver is a Subaru WRX
      09-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
Beakster
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhanda1 View Post
Thanks gents for spending your time to reply me.
It's a diesel.
Yes that's exactly how It feels like starting from 2nd gear. Never thought of that. Is there a way to check which gear it's in?
This is my wife's car. It's not easy to explain to her to pick up in sports mode then change to auto. But it's a good alternative for me when I drive.
I think you can shift into DS mode at a full stop (display will show "DS" on dash) and then pull the lever towards the rear...it should show a "M3" indicating the trans was in "2" (The "M" means you are in manual mode). The display may only indicate "M3" for a short time and then revert to "2" or "M2" as I don't think you can start in 3rd gear. This is all from memory as my wife doesn't let me drive her rig very often!!

DS mode still acts as an automatic...it just holds the gear longer before shifting. I seem to recall it also will not shift into 6th gear, but I am not 100% sure. It is also much more aggressive on downshifting.

Being in DS does slightly complicate shifting into reverse as you must first move the lever to the right to get into D mode and then shift into reverse.

To simplify things for your wife, when at a complete stop, have her move the lever into DS and then back to S mode. This puts the trans into 1st gear.