XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
rusty racer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB, 2011 R8 v10 spy

x5m in southern snow

Hi,
I have searched and read the threads on winter tires etc. but all seem to be bassed on winters in the northeast.

I live in the southeast (north carolina). We are currently looking at a 2013 x5m to replace a hummer h3 alpha. Mainly driven by wife to and from work about 5 miles each way. So low use. Then used for road trips n people moving (at rapid speed ;-) )

However, one of the big saves the hummer has provided in the past 2 years is getting me to work (40 mile commute) when we get the one or two snows a year in NC.

Obviously, snow is rare in NC but does happen occassionally. So what do you southern X5M owners do in the winter? Winter tires? Or do the stock tires work well enough for that one snow or two?

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5m

I would recommend getting all seasons.
      12-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

i have actually driven mine in snow with summer tires and it'll get you to where you need to go. just give yourself plenty of space between cars and slow down earlier. not worth getting new tires for 1 or 2 snowfalls

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
my911fixxx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
i have actually driven mine in snow with summer tires and it'll get you to where you need to go. just give yourself plenty of space between cars and slow down earlier. not worth getting new tires for 1 or 2 snowfalls
Ditto. Its not the getting started.... its the stopping. Biggest thing is watching out for all the other dumb A$$es!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Disagree- I would get all seasons for the winter. No way you want to drive on summer tires in the snow for 40 miles - even 20 is bad. It is not only stopping, but turning and even going that will cause problems. Unless you are going to park it on those days, get different tires for the winter or always.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
donho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63s AMG

I know no one will agree with me. But take it from someone who actually drove with the summer tires in a storm, it was not that bad.

I know everyone will say, you will not stop, turn, accelerate and so on. But the fact of the matter was, it was fine. and the drifts were deep. Deep enough that the front valance became a snowplow and I ended up losing a tow hitch plug.

I now have Conti DWS, but only because they were ordered last Oct and the freak snow storm hit at the end of Oct. I drove alot during the storm and it was never an issue. Yeah in theory you should not do it, but it was fine.
Last year after I had the DWS installed, it never snowed again!!! Now we are at the end of december and still no snow again!!??
But I also wanted them to get rid of rotating mass.

You live in NC, the little if any snow you get is usually minimal. I would leave the summer tires and if it gets blizzard bad, take the day off! Why swap tires for a slim chance of needing them. Let me zipper up my flame suit now........
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

I am in Charlotte as well and decided to go with the all season Conti DWS. Read any of my threads about the merits that include links to videos, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

All Seasons are PERFECT for our weather in this area. The DWS's in particular are VERY good for the periodic weekend in the mountains.

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-18-2012 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
ek1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty racer View Post
Hi,
I have searched and read the threads on winter tires etc. but all seem to be bassed on winters in the northeast.

I live in the southeast (north carolina). We are currently looking at a 2013 x5m to replace a hummer h3 alpha. Mainly driven by wife to and from work about 5 miles each way. So low use. Then used for road trips n people moving (at rapid speed ;-) )

However, one of the big saves the hummer has provided in the past 2 years is getting me to work (40 mile commute) when we get the one or two snows a year in NC.

Obviously, snow is rare in NC but does happen occassionally. So what do you southern X5M owners do in the winter? Winter tires? Or do the stock tires work well enough for that one snow or two?

Thanks for the help
The truth is that stock X5M tires are very useless (and dangerous) in the snow. And I am not even talking about deep snow - never mind that. If you hit a patch of packed snow and try to stop, the traction control will go on, but the car will just keep going (with slightly slower speed). I got my X5M in January 2012 and we had a snowstorm literally a few days later. I did a couple of tests and based on what I remember, if you are going around 30Mph, it will take you a long distance (like 20ft) to come to a stop on packed snow. Definitely not a good feeling.

I was lucky enough to find a tire shop that took my Dunlops with 300 miles on them (plus $300 cash) and exchanged them for a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS. These tires are awesome! The ride is super quiet and solid, grip is 95% of stock tires and they are great on packed snow (have not tried anything deeper than 3-4" yet.

By the way, make sure you order a spare tire with your X5M. It's only $150, but goes a long way. If you switch to non-runflats, having a spare tire gets you that peace of mind we all love.

Then again, like the other poster said, if you can just take a few days off and wait out the snow, then stock tires will work fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
PbPedis
Rep
Drives: 2013 Monte Carlo Blue X5M

I'll never understand why people will risk life & limb by running summer tires in the snow. Some summer tires will perform better than others, but the bottom line is that any summer tire is downright dangerous. Even if you don't care about smacking up your expensive vehicle, I'm sure you care about your safety as well as your passengers. Don't do it.
Appreciate 0