XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
KreativeX6
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 50i

Blinding Headlights X6 and X3

Today is the 3rd time somebody has flashed me with high beams since owning the X6 on Friday. I have the same problem with my wife's 2009 X3. In both cars I drive in "A mode" with lower driving lights on.

Are these headlights just really bright? Maybe due to the height of the X's?

When they flash me, I just hit em hard with the high beams.

Just curious if others have the same experience.

Never had this problem in my M5.

Bryan B
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

They are probably just jealous at your nice looking car.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I get this periodically and like you just flash back with my high beams to let them know they are not on. I think it depends on what they are driving and how low it rides, never get this from pickup trucks.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
KreativeX6
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I get this periodically and like you just flash back with my high beams to let them know they are not on. I think it depends on what they are driving and how low it rides, never get this from pickup trucks.
It recently happened this evening. The other car across the street was a minivan. My wife was asking me why they are flashing their high beams, I explained to her that it has happend already a couple of times in the X6 and frequently in the X3.

Oh well, just thought I would ask if this was a common occurrence with X owners.

Bryan
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Ikendiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeX6 View Post
with lower driving lights on.
Maybe its the fog lights?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
KreativeX6
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikendiken View Post
Maybe its the fog lights?
Right? Who knows
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
wildaz
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 50i

It's just people who don't realize the difference between halogen and HID bulbs so they think your brights are on. It has happened to me many times in all the bmw's I have owned including my M5. Just blind them with your true high beams and they will learn.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Today is the 3rd time somebody has flashed me with high beams since owning the X6 on Friday. I have the same problem with my wife's 2009 X3. In both cars I drive in "A mode" with lower driving lights on.

Bryan B
This is quite common in areas where luxury cars with fancy headlights are the exception and not the norm. I am surprised you are having this issue in Germany though.
      11-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
GJM
Xdrive
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6 35d/X5 3d

Bryan, isn't it illegal to drive in Europe with the lower(Fog lights) on unless foggy. I was pulled over by the local police and warned on my last visit.
      11-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:

Bryan B
BMW headlights are the best I ever had, my wife owns an Audi Q7, and it is the opposite, I have to use the high beam all the time and even in high beam the light is poor, low beam on my X6 has better light than high beam from the Audi, both cars comes with bi-xenon just in case you were wondering, they changed me (by warranty) both headlamps ( the whole lamp not just the bulbs) and the new ones are the same story, so be happy when someone flashes you.....
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
coodem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M335d

It's the self leveling system causing the issues, but nothing you can do about it. Once the car inclines up or down, the headlights will level the opposite direction to avoid blinding people and keep your lights pointing on the road.

Let's say your car just dipped down, lights would adjust up, then your car goes back up, at that moment it would blind oncoming people, while the lights adjust down. But only for a very short period
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
KreativeX6
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coodem View Post
It's the self leveling system causing the issues, but nothing you can do about it. Once the car inclines up or down, the headlights will level the opposite direction to avoid blinding people and keep your lights pointing on the road.

Let's say your car just dipped down, lights would adjust up, then your car goes back up, at that moment it would blind oncoming people, while the lights adjust down. But only for a very short period

I think your comment sounds about right, never thought about that. As far as the lower lights, I thought our lower lights were driving lights and not fog lights. My X6 is US Spec, but I still have to abide by German Laws.

The only thing I remember was a no-no, is driving in normal weather with your rear foul weather light on. My winter beater Audi has this selection but I don't think the US Spec X6 has it. ( Yes I have an Audi for the winter, it was because I stored my M5 in the garage during winter )
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #13
LLH
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 X40D

Hi, I have only had my X6 for 2 weeks and haven't been flashed yet, however I have noticed that the lights do point up a lot higher on the X6 compared to my e46 M3. I just put it down to the height of the X6 from the ground
Appreciate 0