XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
pturecki
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 M

BMW X5M battery issue

Hi everyone
I'm asking all of you for an advice regarding the problem with my car battery.
I have 2011 BMW X5M with 18.500 miles on it with warranty. For the first time last year I noticed the "increased battery discharge" sign, I took my car to my dealer and they told me that I forgot to remove my radar detector from the slot (this is not true because I never leave it on and once the car is off it doesn't work anyways) It happened again few weeks ago and I noticed it happens always when it's cold outside. Now they told me that the key was in slot and I left my ignition on. Which again it's not true since I have a keyless entry system (smart key) so I NEVER use a key slot. They charged the battery and they told me that if it happens again they can't charge it because one of the cells is dead.
Basically they don't won't to replace the battery saying that this is my fault.
I know that there is a problem with the battery and I read that some people had it replaced. Have you ever had a similar issue and how was it resolved.
Any ideas of how to prove them that there is a battery problem.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

the search feature is your friend... anyway here is a big thread discussing this problem:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...tery+discharge

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pturecki View Post
Hi everyone
I'm asking all of you for an advice regarding the problem with my car battery.
I have 2011 BMW X5M with 18.500 miles on it with warranty. For the first time last year I noticed the "increased battery discharge" sign, I took my car to my dealer and they told me that I forgot to remove my radar detector from the slot (this is not true because I never leave it on and once the car is off it doesn't work anyways) It happened again few weeks ago and I noticed it happens always when it's cold outside. Now they told me that the key was in slot and I left my ignition on. Which again it's not true since I have a keyless entry system (smart key) so I NEVER use a key slot. They charged the battery and they told me that if it happens again they can't charge it because one of the cells is dead.
Basically they don't won't to replace the battery saying that this is my fault.
I know that there is a problem with the battery and I read that some people had it replaced. Have you ever had a similar issue and how was it resolved.
Any ideas of how to prove them that there is a battery problem.
Thanks
I feel for you man,,,know what you are going through because I went through the same thing with my 2011 X5 50i....started with the "increased battery discharge" message,,,took it in,,,they charged the battery and said it was good to go,,,next morning,,,same thing,,,,took it back, they "deep charged" it and said it was good to go,,,,2 days later,,,same thing. This time I took it in and they kept for a week,,,replaced a few modules, charged it and said it was good to go,,,,,next day same thing,,,this time,,not only did I return it to the dealer,,,I also called BMW and filed a complaint. Bottom line without going into boring details,,,,they kept my vehicle for 90 days,,,replaced numerous modules, sensors,,door handles, battery, alternator, some kind of a generator, rear heater control, wiring, new nav screen,,,the bottom line as to what the problem was,,,according to them the radio. Even though it was turned off,,and "sleeping"...it really was not! The total bill was just north of $13,000 which included labor and was covered under warranty. I got a new 750 to drive and then got a 35d to use after 45 days in the 750...not too hapy aabout the experience,,but at least it was fixed. That was over 5 months ago and no issues since!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

As noted, it is a common issue - right around the miles you have on the truck.

I had a CTEK 4.3 and put it on in the Recondition mode over a weekend. Have yet to have the problem again. I highly recommend this charger (did not at first!).

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-864-Ba...words=ctek+4.3
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
5seriesHB
In The Game!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 535 Msprt/12 X5 5.0 Msprt

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
I feel for you man,,,know what you are going through because I went through the same thing with my 2011 X5 50i....started with the "increased battery discharge" message,,,took it in,,,they charged the battery and said it was good to go,,,next morning,,,same thing,,,,took it back, they "deep charged" it and said it was good to go,,,,2 days later,,,same thing. This time I took it in and they kept for a week,,,replaced a few modules, charged it and said it was good to go,,,,,next day same thing,,,this time,,not only did I return it to the dealer,,,I also called BMW and filed a complaint. Bottom line without going into boring details,,,,they kept my vehicle for 90 days,,,replaced numerous modules, sensors,,door handles, battery, alternator, some kind of a generator, rear heater control, wiring, new nav screen,,,the bottom line as to what the problem was,,,according to them the radio. Even though it was turned off,,and "sleeping"...it really was not! The total bill was just north of $13,000 which included labor and was covered under warranty. I got a new 750 to drive and then got a 35d to use after 45 days in the 750...not too hapy aabout the experience,,but at least it was fixed. That was over 5 months ago and no issues since!
ummm if that happened to me id be out of that vehicle already! can u say buy back!
pm if u ever run into this scenario again! i hope not
Cheers
Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
ummm if that happened to me id be out of that vehicle already! can u say buy back!
pm if u ever run into this scenario again! i hope not
Cheers
Rob
I'll keep you in mind......thanks....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

I had this issue recently, and fortunately for me, a BMW engineer was at the dealership when this was occuring. They put in a new battery, and it still happened the next morning when the tech started it. Turns out the determined it was the IBS cable, which was replaced a few weeks back and (knock on wood) its been fine since. I even left it out for a week when I went on vacation, so it didn't get started for a week and sat out in 5 degree temps, and it has been fine.
      01-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #8
BimmerJeep
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 2007 3.0 Diesel

battery low

I have had ,similar problems. Battery is every other day low. Starting is a a tuff business in cold weathers.

thx for the info, IŽll check with my dealer to see if this cable could be the source in my car. I have to charge it once a month now :/
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
I had this issue recently, and fortunately for me, a BMW engineer was at the dealership when this was occuring. They put in a new battery, and it still happened the next morning when the tech started it. Turns out the determined it was the IBS cable, which was replaced a few weeks back and (knock on wood) its been fine since. I even left it out for a week when I went on vacation, so it didn't get started for a week and sat out in 5 degree temps, and it has been fine.
Acronyms are very convenient...if we know that they mean.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Acronyms are very convenient...if we know that they mean.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bmw+ibs+cable

Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #11
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

I just had my battery replaced, fortunately my IBS cable was fine
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #12
radx5m
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Garage List
I had similar problem when purchased from out of state dealer and had car shipped. My 2012 x5m had 9k miles on when purchased. excess battery discharge light came on almost immediately after my pickup and attempted recharge at local BMW dealer. Not sure how true this is, but my local dealer "scanned" my key and told me the battery was not "maintained correctly" as they could prove excessive door opening, interior lights on etc without starting car/driving during time frame car sat on other dealer lot. Finally got other dealer to pay up after convincing them it would be in their best interest to pay rather than take poor web reviews and report to better business bureau. Have to check my receipt if cable was replaced but no problems since new battery.
      12-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #13
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Had an issue with my battery, short in the comfort access(handle was warm to the touch)