BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Kip Keino
Rep
Drives: 1M, E46 330 ZSP

Smart Charger Hookup

I have a Deltran charger I want to hook up to my 1M this winter while in storage. Most threads (and the manual) encourages use of charging posts under the hood. My problem is that I want to use the eyelet leads and not the clamp leads on the charger as the eyelet leads provide a more secure connection. It is obvious how to hook up the eyelet leads on the battery, but no so obvious under the hood. Any suggestions?

Apologies in advance if this has already been posted but couldn't find a precise answer to my question.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

At the charging post, a little lower, but hard to see is a nut and bolt that you could use to attach an eylet big enough..

OR

you could simply drill a hole in the charging post !! easy / clean / simple . and we are talking a 1/4 in hole at best so no worries there.. the ground can go to the simple ground lead / lug near buy..
      12-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Kip Keino
Rep
Drives: 1M, E46 330 ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
At the charging post, a little lower, but hard to see is a nut and bolt that you could use to attach an eylet big enough..

OR

you could simply drill a hole in the charging post !! easy / clean / simple . and we are talking a 1/4 in hole at best so no worries there.. the ground can go to the simple ground lead / lug near buy..
Thanks for the info and suggestion. I assume the charging post is hot and some care is called for when drilling - yes?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Keino View Post
Thanks for the info and suggestion. I assume the charging post is hot and some care is called for when drilling - yes?
yup... from memory i think you could put a piece of wood behind the post so the drill does not hit anything o the other side..

ive seen alot worse done.. on a scale of 1 to 5 this is easily a 1.5 / 2 at best..
      12-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I agree that bolting it down is more secure. But do you need it (kids running around that might screw with it, or expect mice under the hood or something), or just feel like doing more work? I'm not giving you crap just suggesting that if you don't actually need to put more work into it then - don't.
Appreciate 0