XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-14-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Post your gremlins - we all got em

Maybe a single location to help each other.

Here is mine for now: Just got the communications box updated and now my texts do not display on the screen. No icon - nothing. Only thing I get now is the directions/address from connected drive. Never was able to get email either
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #2
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Every time I press Auto the AC comes on, doesn't matter if it's 100 or 0 degrees outside. Also the fact that the system is running when I turn the vehicle on, even though I turned it off before I shut the vehicle off. Very annoying.

Hate not having the option to turn off passenger airbag warning ding/light. Sometimes I have shit on the seat that I need to stay in place and can't have it on the floor.

Maybe these aren't gremlins per se, but rather annoyances.

Last edited by mirob; 12-15-2016 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
jason0
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Every time I press Auto the AC comes on, doesn't matter if it's 100 or 0 degrees outside. Also the fact that the system is running when I turn the vehicle on, even though I turned it off before I shut the vehicle off. Very annoying.

Hate not having the option to turn off passenger airbag warning ding/light. Sometimes I have shit on the seat that I need to stay in place and can't have it on the floor.

Same here with climate always on.. even though i had it turned off previous time.

And with annoyances? Hate the stupid 37F degree warning. Hate how if i take my seat belt off, the warning chime keeps ongoing EVEN AFTER I PUT IT IN PARK.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 07:15 AM   #4
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason0 View Post
And with annoyances? Hate the stupid 37F degree warning. Hate how if i take my seat belt off, the warning chime keeps ongoing EVEN AFTER I PUT IT IN PARK.
Hahaha, YESSSSSS!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Radio interference/static every time I turn on the rear defroster
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:

Having the AC compressor run isn't a flaw, it's actually more of a feature.

The AC compressor serves two purposes, it creates cold air (obviously), but it also removes moisture from the air. I would suggest leaving the climate controls in auto and leaving the AC to run. It should be cooling the air, then reheating it, in order to provide dry air.

Plus, having the climate control running on auto will help to recirculate and filter the air.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Plus, at least for colder climates, it's good to run the AC to lubricate the seals during the cold season.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah...I'll pass on that "feature"...I don't need the car pumping additional cold air in 18 degree temperatures, like this morning...be it dry or damp. What it "should" do is let me decide how I want my ambient temperature/air.

The constant vacuum leaks are also a feature, they prevent you from using full power thus improving fuel economy...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yeah...I'll pass on that "feature"...I don't need the car pumping additional cold air in 18 degree temperatures, like this morning...be it dry or damp. What it "should" do is let me decide how I want my ambient temperature/air.

The constant vacuum leaks are also a feature, they prevent you from using full power thus improving fuel economy...
If the temperature is set to hot, then it should be hot air. Just because the AC compressor is on, doesn't mean you are getting cold air.

If you have the temp set warm, and the controls are on auto, you should only get warm air out, regardless of if it is cold outside and the AC is on. Even if it is freezing outside and your engine is still cold, the vehicle should not put out cold air (or keep the fan speed to a minimum) until the engine has warmed up sufficiently enough to put out warm air.

Have you ever noticed how some cheap or old cars tend to have foggy windows when it rains, or have a musky smell when you're inside? That's all thanks to moist air. If you're smart, you will just keep it in auto and set the dial to the temperature you want.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 07:03 AM   #10
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by getafewlives View Post
If the temperature is set to hot, then it should be hot air. Just because the AC compressor is on, doesn't mean you are getting cold air.

If you have the temp set warm, and the controls are on auto, you should only get warm air out, regardless of if it is cold outside and the AC is on. Even if it is freezing outside and your engine is still cold, the vehicle should not put out cold air (or keep the fan speed to a minimum) until the engine has warmed up sufficiently enough to put out warm air.

Have you ever noticed how some cheap or old cars tend to have foggy windows when it rains, or have a musky smell when you're inside? That's all thanks to moist air. If you're smart, you will just keep it in auto and set the dial to the temperature you want.
I keep the dial right in between hot and cold, but I've never actually waited around to see if it will blow warm air once the engine is up to operating temp. Having the AC compressor running when not using AC just always seemed counterintuitive to me.

Also, recently I've been hearing a whirring sound when the AC does come on so I've been refraining from using it whenever possible fearing a failure may be imminent...but that's a problem for a different thread...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #11
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I keep the dial right in between hot and cold, but I've never actually waited around to see if it will blow warm air once the engine is up to operating temp. Having the AC compressor running when not using AC just always seemed counterintuitive to me.

Also, recently I've been hearing a whirring sound when the AC does come on so I've been refraining from using it whenever possible fearing a failure may be imminent...but that's a problem for a different thread...
Do you live in a fairly cold climate? Right now in Canada, we are experiencing bit of a cold snap with temperatures well below freezing. This morning, when I set the temp to fairly warm and left it in auto, the fans stayed on a very low (almost non existent) speed for the first 5 minutes of my drive until the engine warmed up. The system is fairly smart and knows that if the engine is that cold on a day like today, turning up the fans will only blow out cold air. Even on the intensive auto mode, the fans wouldn't ramp up speed until the engine was warm.

Even if you have a large commercial building, say a large office tower, the air being pumped into the building will generally be cooled first by a large central air conditioner, then reheated (or cooled further) at the zone level. Having moist air in a vehicle or in a building can cause many issues, such as mold or mildew.

With a vehicle, since the AC compressor is belt driven, the extra fuel required to turn the compressor is pretty much negligible and I would bet that you're more likely to run into issues with the system by never using it, than by using it frequently.

Is the whirring sound you are hearing only when the AC compressor is on? Or just when air is being blown? If it's only when the AC is on, there could be something wrong with your compressor, if it's all the time, it could be the blower motor.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 06:17 PM   #12
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Anyone have an idea why no text messages after comms update?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #13
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by getafewlives View Post
Do you live in a fairly cold climate? Right now in Canada, we are experiencing bit of a cold snap with temperatures well below freezing. This morning, when I set the temp to fairly warm and left it in auto, the fans stayed on a very low (almost non existent) speed for the first 5 minutes of my drive until the engine warmed up. The system is fairly smart and knows that if the engine is that cold on a day like today, turning up the fans will only blow out cold air. Even on the intensive auto mode, the fans wouldn't ramp up speed until the engine was warm.

Even if you have a large commercial building, say a large office tower, the air being pumped into the building will generally be cooled first by a large central air conditioner, then reheated (or cooled further) at the zone level. Having moist air in a vehicle or in a building can cause many issues, such as mold or mildew.

With a vehicle, since the AC compressor is belt driven, the extra fuel required to turn the compressor is pretty much negligible and I would bet that you're more likely to run into issues with the system by never using it, than by using it frequently.

Is the whirring sound you are hearing only when the AC compressor is on? Or just when air is being blown? If it's only when the AC is on, there could be something wrong with your compressor, if it's all the time, it could be the blower motor.
I don't want to derail the thread any further...but yes, the whirring only occurs when the compressor is on.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #14
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:

Can you elaborate on the constant vacuum leaks ie. do you keep getting error codes or do you just feel a loss of power?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #15
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Can you elaborate on the constant vacuum leaks ie. do you keep getting error codes or do you just feel a loss of power?
It's a combination of both when it occurs. Usually under load. I've replaced multiple vacuum lines, they are just ridiculously brittle. Some are easier to do than others.

I no longer have issues with this.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #16
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Driver side mirror stopped folding/unfolding! Dealer says the motor is bad! About a grand to repair!
      12-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #17
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Driver side mirror stopped folding/unfolding! Dealer says the motor is bad! About a grand to repair!
WOW crazy!

That's definitely one where you find a wrecked 2013 and buy the mirror assembly on the cheap and swap the motor.

Car-part.com is a good place to start.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #18
Mudd46738
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
I can't take my car in without spending a grand or more. Recently dropped 4G's on her with oil pouring out, water pump and many more troubling things. I would say that is my biggest gremlin. I also heard a whirring sound. They replaced the o-rings for the AC and the whirring as stopped. Oh and the awesome idea of a gasket behind the alternator bracket.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 04:10 PM   #19
Dan_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

When my car sits in the sun for a few hours and the interior heats up, my flasher/high beam stops functioning. It doesn't throw a code to make things easy.... and as of yet the dealer is yet to find a solution. The FRM has been replaced so far to no avail, frustration is setting in.... IF ANYONE CAN HELP PLEASE DO!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 04:40 AM   #20
Dan_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Well thanks for all the help...

FYSA the problem has been fixed.

The fault was a malfunctioning Steering Angle Sensor that would fail when heated up.

I'm going to post a new topic with all the details, so people hopefully get a hit on the search if anyone else has the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #21
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

About once every 25 starts the radio doesn't play sound. I have tried everything including rebooting the iDrive system (by holding down the eject buttons while pressing power on my 07 CCC system). Reboots iDrive but still no sound. Turning off/on the car fixes the issue.

Also if I pop the moon roof up it takes about 3 or 4 times to recess it back flush with the roof. It thinks something is blocking the sensor I guess.

Summer Fun - 2016 F80 M3 | Tanzanite | Black FULL Leather | 6MT | Executive | Lighting | Driver Assist | Adaptive Suspension | 19" Black Wheels | Black Grills & Sides | Roof
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #22
roboe70
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 3.0

Being able to open the hatch (have comfort access) without unlocking the doors and then having the car lock when I close the hatch with the keys laying inside. Car is supposed to sense the comfort access key inside and pop the hatch back open.
Appreciate 0