XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
scottyv
Modding Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 5.0

wheel option denied by bmw

Just got info from my dealer on my new X6 5.0 order

I ordered the sport package with the upgrade to 20" wheels, now the standard sport 20" wheel for the 5.0 is style 259 star spoke.

I really preferred the 20" y -spoke style 214 which is standard on a X6 3.5 with the 20" sport package upgarde.

I figured and the dealer did also, that I could opt for the Y-spoke since the upcharge was exactly the same.

They just informed me that BMW will not allow this which I think is ridiculus.

Each vehicle model (3.5/5.0/X6) can only be odrered with specific wheels....... I can see the logic for maybe the X6M but I think this is total BS.

Each sport package (3.5/5.0) is married to a specific sport wheel.

If I want these wheels on a 5.0 I have to order them as an accessory and keep the wheels that are standard offerings as well (order 2 sets).

If I'm getting accessory wheels they sure wouldn't be 20's anyway so this blows.

Anyone ever try anything similar to this from the factory and have any success? (Getting a 214 style wheel on a 5.0 as a standard order?)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyv View Post
Just got info from my dealer on my new X6 5.0 order

I ordered the sport package with the upgrade to 20" wheels, now the standard sport 20" wheel for the 5.0 is style 259 star spoke.

I really preferred the 20" y -spoke style 214 which is standard on a X6 3.5 with the 20" sport package upgarde.

I figured and the dealer did also, that I could opt for the Y-spoke since the upcharge was exactly the same.

They just informed me that BMW will not allow this which I think is ridiculus.

Each vehicle model (3.5/5.0/X6) can only be odrered with specific wheels....... I can see the logic for maybe the X6M but I think this is total BS.

Each sport package (3.5/5.0) is married to a specific sport wheel.

If I want these wheels on a 5.0 I have to order them as an accessory and keep the wheels that are standard offerings as well (order 2 sets).

If I'm getting accessory wheels they sure wouldn't be 20's anyway so this blows.

Anyone ever try anything similar to this from the factory and have any success? (Getting a 214 style wheel on a 5.0 as a standard order?)
If I were changing wheels, I would get the X6M forged wheels instead of worrying about cast wheels.

But yeah, what you see on the BMW order site is what you can get. Nothing different. This has been true since I can remember across all BMW models. Might having something to do with supply/parts/model manufacturing ensuring they have enough for the model intended.

I don' think it is rediculous. I am sure the decision would make more sense if we had all the facts.
      10-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
scottyv
Modding Master
United_States
Rep

Chuck, yeah I should not be surprised I just was a little pissed as I had my mind made up (after much consternation!) on these wheels.

Funny thing is I read in a thread here, they now are going to offer an M package as an upgrade to the 5.0 with all the wheels, the perf upgarde 40hp, and body effects as an add on package.

If they were so picky on wheels specific to each X6 model then why let someone get the look of an M when it really isn't one?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Chuck, yeah I should not be surprised I just was a little pissed as I had my mind made up (after much consternation!) on these wheels.

Funny thing is I read in a thread here, they now are going to offer an M package as an upgrade to the 5.0 with all the wheels, the perf upgarde 40hp, and body effects as an add on package.

If they were so picky on wheels specific to each X6 model then why let someone get the look of an M when it really isn't one?
Another option you have is negotiate with the dealer to swap the wheels out at time of delivery with the ones you want. About 20% of the dealers will do this, the rest don't care and won't bother.
      10-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
scottyv
Modding Master
United_States
Rep

My local delaer has no volume and can't do it, so they say.

I am checking with another dealer to see if it's possible. On a leased vehicle I'm not so sure, as upon return I would think they would want it as close to normal/stock options as possible.

My order is already in with a deposit, and a don't want a nasty fight about this, probably fine with either wheel, but if another dealer is willing to do it I'd like to let them know it is in fact possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Chuck I agree with you ...
"I am sure the decision would make more sense if we had all the facts."

It just that we can't ever get BMW to cough up what the formula/logic/process is for how they decide what will be offered where on what. They do this with trim and that has no effect on performance, guess it's just one of those things.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

that is really stupid..in EU we do not have such problems,however we dont have yours packages.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Swains
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

I think. what you really need to do is order the car from the individual office. I had to do that when I wanted to add some other options in stead of whole package!

just check the individual office.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 07:24 AM   #9
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 ///M

I am having the same problem with my BMW Dealer. I had a trade in equity of about $10,000 and put down $8,000 cash already on a X6 xDrive35i and I ordered the Sport Package that comes with the Style 212 wheels.

I dont like the look of the wheels and I wanted to order the X6 M style 300 wheel and tire package but BMW said those would void my warranty. I like the look of the M style wheels but they wont let me get them.

The next best thing is style 275 and they are $6500 so I am going to get those but I will have 2 sets of tires.

BMW will not subtract the cost of the wheels that come with the sport package and deduct that from the cost of the car.

I am experiencing the same problem as you, I will now have 2 sets of rims and tires so I will probably be seeling my style 212 wheels here shortly. This is rather frustrating however, that BMW could not foresee these types of circumstances and create ways to accomodate customers who faithfully and loyally want to upgrade their BMW cars with genuine BMW parts.

This has really pissed me off since the X6 I am getting is costing me almsot $75,000. I was so mad that I couldnt get the X6 M style rims I almost just bought the X6 M.

I can afford it but I really dont want the debt right now. I wish BMW would sell the X6 M style 300 rim for the 35 and 50 models.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrosis View Post
I am having the same problem with my BMW Dealer. I had a trade in equity of about $10,000 and put down $8,000 cash already on a X6 xDrive35i and I ordered the Sport Package that comes with the Style 212 wheels.

I dont like the look of the wheels and I wanted to order the X6 M style 300 wheel and tire package but BMW said those would void my warranty. I like the look of the M style wheels but they wont let me get them.

The next best thing is style 275 and they are $6500 so I am going to get those but I will have 2 sets of tires.

BMW will not subtract the cost of the wheels that come with the sport package and deduct that from the cost of the car.

I am experiencing the same problem as you, I will now have 2 sets of rims and tires so I will probably be seeling my style 212 wheels here shortly. This is rather frustrating however, that BMW could not foresee these types of circumstances and create ways to accomodate customers who faithfully and loyally want to upgrade their BMW cars with genuine BMW parts.

This has really pissed me off since the X6 I am getting is costing me almsot $75,000. I was so mad that I couldnt get the X6 M style rims I almost just bought the X6 M.

I can afford it but I really dont want the debt right now. I wish BMW would sell the X6 M style 300 rim for the 35 and 50 models.

This is pretty much standard procedure for BMW in US , we get what the car comes with or packages that are offered for it. outside US they get to do à la carte.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
I'm like you, a fan of the 214's - it's a shame they don't offer their wheels across the board, but no doubt it's a manufacturing/marketing thing.

I believe it's also a practice with all auto manufacture's package options. Otherwise you have to pick and choose individual options and it ends up costing more.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I'm like you, a fan of the 214's - it's a shame they don't offer their wheels across the board, but no doubt it's a manufacturing/marketing thing.

I believe it's also a practice with all auto manufacture's package options. Otherwise you have to pick and choose individual options and it ends up costing more.

Well I got over it, cause I just purchased the X6, ill post a thread with the details on the main forum so I dont lol

I truly do wish that I could a'la' carte pick what I want. Car manufacturers need to steer away from the 1950's pick of the lot. Its all about custom nowadays and they havent gone in that direct full steam yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrosis View Post
Well I got over it, cause I just purchased the X6, ill post a thread with the details on the main forum so I dont lol

I truly do wish that I could a'la' carte pick what I want. Car manufacturers need to steer away from the 1950's pick of the lot. Its all about custom nowadays and they havent gone in that direct full steam yet.
I agree. At least one or two car manufactures are doing ala carte, and it seems an American motorcycle brand is doing it, too. It's all in computers, just in time delivery, etc. Everything's modular anyway, mark it up ala carte or package, they'll make money either way. What better way to find out what people really want.

The other side is sometimes I think manufactures want their cars to look a certain way, so when other potential buyer notice a new car, they don't get turned off by some people's choices. It's just a guess, but I wonder why some manufactures offer a lot of optional colors and upholstery choices and others are very limited. FWIW

Enjoy your x6.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-31-2009 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The classic thing about it is that car manufacturers arent thinking about their younger customers at all even though they say they are gearing for it. This is 2009 and we should not be having limits, we live in a world of excess. Now I will have an extra pair of rims because some bean counter at BMW decided to make it so when you select the Wheels/Tires in the Accessories portion of the Build Your Own website it doesnt de-select the rims that come with the Sport Package. Hence you get 2 sets of rims and tires and this is a company that is building hybrids and making fuel efficiency claims and they are sending you excess crap that you have to sell.

Some of the processes of the BMW USA Build Your own website are not refined. There corporate inefficiencies and clashes shine brightly when you go to build a car.

Let me put 2 and 2 together.

For example, if you want to get the Premium Sound package for the X6 they throw in a 6 disc DVD player. What the hell good is that unless you order the $1700 Rear Seat Entertainment package (LCD screen)??

You can only watch those DVD's on the Navigation screen if the car is stopped so that is a useless thing to throw in. I just wanted the premium speakers without the USB/IPOD connector also but theres no way around that.

It would be nice, like we talked about a'la' carte options, if BMW offered customers the ability to only upgrade to the Premium Sound (Logic 7) speakers and not get the 6 Disc DVD changer or the IPOD/USB adaptor with the Premium Sound package. Granted, you can get the IPOD adaptor seperate but the meat is the premium speakers.

This is another example of corporate beaurocracy that I thought wouldnt be an issue with BMW. If they really wanted to please customers, they wouldnt force you to get extras like the 6 disc DVD changer that are utterly useless unless you are getting the rear seat entertainment package. You cannot get just the upgrades you want without getting the fillers and crap that comes with it to boost the price. I would love to know what the cost of just the speaker upgrade would be.

I took it a step further and e-mailed Bavarian Soundwerks. I am looking for a drop in pair of subs with amp and bass control knob like the one I had for my 06' 325xi that fit perfectly into the trunk well area. It was a custom fit enclosure specifically made for that car and thats what we need for the X6's. I have yet to find a manufacturer that is making enclosures that will fit under a seat or in the rear well area that can provide some thump since BMW has not mastered the sound of the X6 yet.

If anyone knows of a manufacturer that sells drop in sub enclosures like the ones Bavarian Auto sells that you just drop right in, hookup the amp and install the knob let me know. I dont mind spending $1000 bucks for a 1 or 2 speaker (10" or 12") setup that has a Rockford Fosgate amp and control knob. I need to put some finishing touches on my X6 and the body kits and other fix ups are too pricy. Having some decent subs is important and would really help since the Premium Package BMW offers for the X6 is just a way for them to dump excess accessories they produced and want to get off their shelves.

In short, to get the good upgrades, you get fillers with them that increase the cost slightly over what it would be if you got the single upgrade in the package you want. Good marketing strategy but poor when customers catch on. This is the equivalent of a puppet pulling the strings and driving upgrade and accessory prices. They excel at showing their dominance on the US auto industry and their deutschland superiority. Like a Mastadon Matriarch they control what you can and can't get with the car. You will get what they allow you to and it will satisfy you. They are a: "it puts the lotion on its skin" type of auto maker. This reveals just what kind of a company they really are and what evil lies in the decision tree that backbones their industry.

Last edited by artrosis; 10-31-2009 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: refined
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 08:10 PM   #15
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think there's several forces at work, and although I believe the profit motive and marketing are major players in the equation, it's more benign and not conspiratorial.

One is the auto industry, how they manufacture and market automobiles is very old. I think that BMW, even though it seems like a pretty dynamic company, is subject to same industry norms that GM, Ford and Chrysler have had to deal with in this country. Most of the BMW sales staff I’ve dealt with has been a cut above, but I still sense that shark mentality. The other part of it is car lots. Let’s face it, 95 percent of new car owners buy on impulse. When I was first thinking about changing over to BMW, the salesmen didn’t know how to deal with me when they couldn’t get me all excited. I asked them to show me around, but when I said, “I don’t buy on impulse, I’m just looking around”, they looked at me like I was an alien life form. But this also explains why they package things the way they do.

The second big one is corporate structure. As you stated it's bureaucratic, and IMO explains why their electronic packages are a little goofy. If they brought some punk in that knew hy tek electronics like the back of his hand, you wouldn’t see that goofy stuff, but a punk couldn’t cut it in Corporate USA or any other country. So, what you get are stoic EE’s that got their degrees back in 1965. Let’s face it, they know how to make the connections, but fevered thoughts about the hottest tek ain’t burn’n holes in their brains.

The third, and possibly most important, is the product development and bringing products to market cycle. I’ve noticed that once BMW brings a product to market, like the e89 for instance, they don’t really tinker with it too much. That concept is foreign to US manufactures and to what I’m familiar with it. The 2010 sales literature I’ve recently downloaded from the BMW website is the same as 2009. Depending on the manufacture, a new product development cycle including product available for sale can take 3 years or more. That’s a lot of anticipations, educated guesses and assumptions about what the market will need/want. It’s risky, too. I was reading something about a month ago about BMW’s decision making process. The sign off for the x6 was about 2 years before the economic downturn. I’d say we’re lucky to have an x6 or for that matter the X6 M.

BMW may be greedy profiteers, but I don’t think their evil.

This is just some rambling FWIW.
Appreciate 0