XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

01-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
bleudyno
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Melbourne Red X6///M

Garage List
2010 X6M  [9.50]
2010 X6M  [0.00]
Sending my X6M for prototype Exhaust, intake scoops, and Chip...anyone interested?

I will be taking my car in soon to RPI (Race Precision Inc) to let them use my car for test fitting for an exhaust, intake scoops, and chip tune. Is anyone here interested in getting any of these things for their car? If you're not familiar with RPI, the make a lot of products for high end cars (BMW, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Porsches) Check out their website www.raceprecision.com. I had the intake scoops for my old 545i and they really made a noticable difference. The process will probably take around a month so I wanted to see if there is anyone with an X6///M that is really interested in these products. I will post pics and dyno charts as soon as everything is completed. I am really excited about the gains that will come from their products. The chip may be upwards of about 90-100 hp gain, 10-20 hp for the intake scoops, and I am not sure about the exhaust. Post replies if you're interested!

X6///M Melbourne Red/Merino Black leather MODS: Matte black grill, Tinted head lights, Euro clear side reflectors w/ tint, Tinted white stip on tail lights, 22" Iforged Legacy Convave (Matte black center with Gloss black lip) RPI Race exhaust, Vorsteiner CF front lip, CF rear deck lid spoiler, CF rear diffuser, vented CF race hood, RPI intake scoops UPCOMING MODS: RPI software tune
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
bobox6m
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '10 X6 M; '13 Granturismo MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleudyno View Post
I will be taking my car in soon to RPI (Race Precision Inc) to let them use my car for test fitting for an exhaust, intake scoops, and chip tune. Is anyone here interested in getting any of these things for their car? If you're not familiar with RPI, the make a lot of products for high end cars (BMW, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Porsches) Check out their website www.raceprecision.com. I had the intake scoops for my old 545i and they really made a noticable difference. The process will probably take around a month so I wanted to see if there is anyone with an X6///M that is really interested in these products. I will post pics and dyno charts as soon as everything is completed. I am really excited about the gains that will come from their products. The chip may be upwards of about 90-100 hp gain, 10-20 hp for the intake scoops, and I am not sure about the exhaust. Post replies if you're interested!
+1. Im interested, especially in the exhaust. Please make a video of the new exhaust when it is done! thank you so much. However, i live way up north in canada....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
ZKA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 M

So what happens to the flap in the exhaust? are RPi gonna keep it, ot get rid of it?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

No thanks. In my opinion there is not much to gain by modfying the X6M. The exhaust system is large diameter and efficient. I admit you could possibly improve the sound, but at what detriment to the factory engineering of the engine systems. The boost can be raised, especially on the M because it is reduced to 18 psi. due to the more efficient exhaust manifold and turbos. But, you had better have the fuel curve mapped exactly to avoid detonation with these high boost levels. This is a trial and error process to be sure, and you risk some damage in the process.

There is the warranty issue also. The warranty on your vehicle is barely a few months old. It is sure to be voided by any modifications, so I would think very carefully about why you want to do this. What if BMW improves the vehicle in the next few years such as with the 8 speed transmission, you would like to trade it in for an upgrade, and no dealer will touch it because it has been modified?

Of course, if it is chump change, then by all means, go for the gusto!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Andrew 912
//M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 - MR X6M

+1
Very Interested, please kindly keep your progresses update. Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDLORD View Post
No thanks. In my opinion there is not much to gain by modfying the X6M. The exhaust system is large diameter and efficient. I admit you could possibly improve the sound, but at what detriment to the factory engineering of the engine systems. The boost can be raised, especially on the M because it is reduced to 18 psi. due to the more efficient exhaust manifold and turbos. But, you had better have the fuel curve mapped exactly to avoid detonation with these high boost levels. This is a trial and error process to be sure, and you risk some damage in the process.

There is the warranty issue also. The warranty on your vehicle is barely a few months old. It is sure to be voided by any modifications, so I would think very carefully about why you want to do this. What if BMW improves the vehicle in the next few years such as with the 8 speed transmission, you would like to trade it in for an upgrade, and no dealer will touch it because it has been modified?

Yes voids the warranty but as LL states if not issue then go for it.
I would be curious to see the pics so I can see the scoops and how they are placed.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Get the real thing!

I've discovered that even the 3.5i tt engine can be prone to problems even straight fr. the factory. Check threads on Engine Malfunctions.
Even if there's no warranty issue there can be a lot of finger pointing between BMW & the mod. company if any issues occured around the modified area of the engine.. The owner of such a car is left in the middle.
There are very few bmw modifiers, Steve Dinan, is one, that is totally committed to modifying bmws for years, & has a good reputation backed by a good warranty. ( Have yet to pay a visit to Morgan Hill)
Caveat Emptor.!
If $$ is no object & u want more power, get Carrera GT, McLaren F1, Buggatti Veyron, etc.
And leave the fiddling to lesser mortals!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
TonyTone
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 VERT

Interested if works on X5M
      04-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
Iluxa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40D; X7 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Interested if works on X5M
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

GL with the R&D

RPI FTW...if I end up getting an X6 .50 at the end of the year, I'll be looking to RPI for scoops and a tune as well...

Last edited by geneatals; 04-28-2010 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
dbae1978
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleudyno View Post
Congrats David can't wait to see the dyno numbers! don't forget the sound clips too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDLORD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Yes voids the warranty but as LL states if not issue then go for it.
I would be curious to see the pics so I can see the scoops and how they are placed.

I've had extensive mods on my 535i (n54 engine) and have just about all the bolt on mods available on my M5. I have never had any warranty issues whatsoever at the dealership, with either vehicles. The only way your warranty will be voided is if they can prove the issues are directly related to the mod.

the only thing i've heard from the dealerships are nothing but compliments!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
aerotom1
aerotom1
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6M

How did it all workout??

Hi, I have just bought an X6M in Australia (also Melbourne Red). Picked the car up in Brisbane and drove to Adelaide - MAGNIFICENT!!
I am also thinking of upgrading the performance by first getting the chip upgrade.
Can you tell me about your experience and after-thoughts??

Cheers,
Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Congrats! I couldn't ask for a nicer ride!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
X6Monster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6M E71

Garage List
2010 X6M  [0.00]
2010 X6M  [0.00]
Well I am here to send a simply warning to all of you X6M drivers. Mine is in the shop right now with a broken rear half shaft. Mine too is chipped by Powerchip, with full turbo back exhaust and 3.5" down pipes. I made 600+to the wheels with comparable torque gains. The rear end will not hold up very long if you plan on launching it regularly. I am having issues with warranty covering repairs now because of my mods. Just a heads up. If anyone here knows how to go about getting a round part repair voids because of mods please let me know asap!! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #15
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6Monster View Post
Well I am here to send a simply warning to all of you X6M drivers. Mine is in the shop right now with a broken rear half shaft. Mine too is chipped by Powerchip, with full turbo back exhaust and 3.5" down pipes. I made 600+to the wheels with comparable torque gains. The rear end will not hold up very long if you plan on launching it regularly. I am having issues with warranty covering repairs now because of my mods. Just a heads up. If anyone here knows how to go about getting a round part repair voids because of mods please let me know asap!! Thanks
what mods do u have aside from the PC tune? Isn't that tune supposed to be invisible?
      08-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
RPIpower
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, G80 M3

your rear broke because it was NOT tuned correctly. Some tuners out there think its about turning the boost up and making some fuel adjustments. There is a lot more to it than that. This is why we are still working on that tune. There are torque limits in place relative to rpm, speed, load, etc that is set to protectice components of the drive train. Hopefully from this incident, people start to open their eyes to how things should be done.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 03:24 AM   #17
spicysausage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 5.0i

I have no doubt that RPI will create such an amazing product...if only I had the M. Hey RPIpower, this is Elya's friend....the one with the POS Meistershaft exhaust you installed today. HA!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 01:50 AM   #18
bleudyno
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 X6M  [9.50]
2010 X6M  [0.00]
I was there when he was installing it and I must say that I was really shocked to see what bad quality Meisterschaft put out in their exhaust. I mean, to charge the amount they do, you would expect a certain level of quality. There were so many things that just wouldn't fit: the pipe on the mufflers that connect to the original pipes were barely big enough to fit and took some prying to get it on. The clamps provided were not the right size and he had to improvise to get it on. Lastly the tips were not welded on correctly and affected the alignment of the tips. I almost pulled the trigger on the Meisterschaft and after seeing that install, I'm so glad I didn't.

Spicysausage: sorry man, I don't mean to talk crap about you new exhaust but I'm sure you agree with me after seeing the installation pictures. It sounds nice though, I'll give it that.

X6///M Melbourne Red/Merino Black leather MODS: Matte black grill, Tinted head lights, Euro clear side reflectors w/ tint, Tinted white stip on tail lights, 22" Iforged Legacy Convave (Matte black center with Gloss black lip) RPI Race exhaust, Vorsteiner CF front lip, CF rear deck lid spoiler, CF rear diffuser, vented CF race hood, RPI intake scoops UPCOMING MODS: RPI software tune
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 02:35 AM   #19
spicysausage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 5.0i

bleudyno - heard so much great stuff about your M. Can't wait to see it person! But yes, you are correct about the build quality of Meisterschaft. I am very dissapointed myself. I think I'm just going to try and enjoy the sound ( about the only positive thing I could say about this exhaust) until RPI makes their own.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 07:26 AM   #20
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

OP, you have an engineering marvel, the X6M....I don't understand why would you mess around with it?

I wouldn't mess around with my M3 ever....it's been produced by the M Gmbh...why would anyone think that a local tuning garrage may really improve the performance on such wonderful cars?
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
bleudyno
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 X6M  [9.50]
2010 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
OP, you have an engineering marvel, the X6M....I don't understand why would you mess around with it?

I wouldn't mess around with my M3 ever....it's been produced by the M Gmbh...why would anyone think that a local tuning garrage may really improve the performance on such wonderful cars?
I appreciate your opinion and I know some members may agree with you but its my own personal preference. I agree that my X6M is already an awesome car but there are still a few things that we can do to up the engine power. I'm not going too crazy - just a tune and exhaust. To each his own....

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #22
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

I hope you don't run in some reliability problems...this thing must be very expensive to fix.

Enjoy your ride.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0