XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
duchozen
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6M / '13 M6 Conv.

LCI headlights

Hey everyone,
Just found the LCI LED headlights for our x6's on ebay.com priced ridiculously at $6,299! Anyone ever tried this or found any cheaper alternatives? Looking to change the looks but that's the price of an akrapovic.

Any comments or tips welcome!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Dumb question, whats the meaning of LCI?
I have seen it so many times and still wondering.......
      06-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Life Cycle Impulse

It's the acronym BMW uses to refer to a mid-cycle refresh of a model, as opposed to a new model (or generation of model) altogether. Generally, if a model lifespan is 7 years, the LCI with updated tech, minor cosmetic updates, etc., will be released around the 4th year. Helps rekindle the sales, and depending on how things went, they may offer more upgrades or changes in a mid-cycle refresh. The X6 was relatively minor changes.

The X6 was released in 2008 as a 2009 model in the US, and the LCI X6, which received full LED headlights (optional), LED taillights, some new colors, and possibly some minor interior changes (not sure), and different trim and placement of fog lights (except X6M, which has none) was released April 2012 as a 2013 model, again talking in the US - I am not sure of the dates in other countries.

Since most of the time LCI releases are minor, using same body panels, owners of pre-LCI vehicles may opt to retrofit their pre-LCI cars with the newly available, upgraded parts, to keep up with the look.

In this instance, the LED headlights look freaking awesome, although $6.5k for lights is a tough pill to swallow for any car as a relatively minor upgrade. They do look killer though. I wouldn't exactly call it a retrofit, since these are optional to begin with.

The other thing I can think of, for the X6M only, is the LCI X6M in 2013 received the "PowerDome" hood with the bulge in it, which was originally standard on the now-discontinued X6 ActiveHybrid.
Appreciate 1
Gutxi3.00
      06-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632
Life Cycle Impulse

It's the acronym BMW uses to refer to a mid-cycle refresh of a model, as opposed to a new model (or generation of model) altogether. Generally, if a model lifespan is 7 years, the LCI with updated tech, minor cosmetic updates, etc., will be released around the 4th year. Helps rekindle the sales, and depending on how things went, they may offer more upgrades or changes in a mid-cycle refresh. The X6 was relatively minor changes.

The X6 was released in 2008 as a 2009 model in the US, and the LCI X6, which received full LED headlights (optional), LED taillights, some new colors, and possibly some minor interior changes (not sure), and different trim and placement of fog lights (except X6M, which has none) was released April 2012 as a 2013 model, again talking in the US - I am not sure of the dates in other countries.

Since most of the time LCI releases are minor, using same body panels, owners of pre-LCI vehicles may opt to retrofit their pre-LCI cars with the newly available, upgraded parts, to keep up with the look.

In this instance, the LED headlights look freaking awesome, although $6.5k for lights is a tough pill to swallow for any car as a relatively minor upgrade. They do look killer though. I wouldn't exactly call it a retrofit, since these are optional to begin with.

The other thing I can think of, for the X6M only, is the LCI X6M in 2013 received the "PowerDome" hood with the bulge in it, which was originally standard on the now-discontinued X6 ActiveHybrid.
This man knows what he is talking about. Well said and very accurate. I miss my X6... I think I may go back in a couple years if when the X6 gets a full face lift and she is even more stunning than she is now.

If the face lift in 2015 doesn't do the X6 justice, then the plan will be to get a CPO 2013-2014 LCI X6M, so I will keep my eye on you guys to see who is willing to part with their X6M in a couple years, lol
      06-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Thanks a lot ddk632 for such a good explanation!
I was feeling kind of lost in translation trying to guess the meaning of LCI , in short words stands for "face lift"
Bernie
      06-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Thanks a lot ddk632 for such a good explanation!
I was feeling kind of lost in translation trying to guess the meaning of LCI , in short words stands for "face lift"
Bernie
Yep pretty much sums it up, I just added some background info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
This man knows what he is talking about. Well said and very accurate. I miss my X6... I think I may go back in a couple years if when the X6 gets a full face lift and she is even more stunning than she is now.

If the face lift in 2015 doesn't do the X6 justice, then the plan will be to get a CPO 2013-2014 LCI X6M, so I will keep my eye on you guys to see who is willing to part with their X6M in a couple years, lol
I had the same feeelings after I sold my first X6 35i... I really missed the car. A year later I got into an X6M.

And I won't be giving her up in a couple of years ... this was me taking delivery in January at the BMW Performance Center (can you tell I was excited?) ...

BMW PCD - 6D-16 by ddk632, on Flickr

Still have the same grin on my face 6 months later You will have to catch me, and then beat me to death, before I give her up!! I love this car, and am a big X6 fan in general.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
ddk632
United_States
Rep

By the way sorry to OP for the threadjack ... I really have no idea where to obtain the Full LED headlights cheaper than what you've found :

But if you check out this thread by motex I just realized he did the same retrofit / install and it cost $7500 installed with OEM parts - so your numbers seem to be about on par.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #8
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW 730Ld

I can get in here in EUROPE (retrofit package) for 3880 EUR. That is the cheapest I could find. But then again there is shipping and customs. If there are some interested I think we could think something out.
      07-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
Stargunz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

I have an LCI model x6 couple of questions and opinions.

The LED upgrade for front and rear is nice but should have been standard for the front as it is offered free in the rear.

The placement of the new fog lights actually look worse and should have been LED to match

I cannot identify any other differences between them other than an optional M trimmed model with a fancy steering wheel and different set of rims.

Just me or anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomdizzle
I have an LCI model x6 couple of questions and opinions.

The LED upgrade for front and rear is nice but should have been standard for the front as it is offered free in the rear.

The placement of the new fog lights actually look worse and should have been LED to match

I cannot identify any other differences between them other than an optional M trimmed model with a fancy steering wheel and different set of rims.

Just me or anyone else?
I agree with you on the LCI should have included the LED headlights with no charge since the rear lights were.

As for the fog lights, I don't know why they changed the placement of them. IMHO, they just don't look right now. They were just fine where they were pre LCI. Just get the M version.... then fog lights will no longer be a concern!