XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
X6M MDM Mode setup

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I was setting up my M mode button located on the steering wheel, but still don't understand what MDM mode does?
I know EDC is for the suspension (softer or stiffer) and DSC for the traction control activation or deactivation, but MDM ?
thanks in advance !

Bernie
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
MDM - i believe is M dynamic mode
It is the mode that is kind of between DSC on and DSC off
In this mode car is allowed for some slip, some spin, some slide, but just enough so you won't get yourself into trouble
I also think tranny behaves a bit more responsive in this mode
Quote:

M Dynamic Mode for the most satisfying track driving.
In the X5 M and X6 M, the potential of both xDrive and DPC have been fully exploited by BMW M. Via the MDrive menu, the driver can switch DSC to the M Dynamic Mode (MDM), in which –
• DSC’s threshold for intervening via the brakes and throttle is raised, allowing the driver to “push harder” in curves.
• A special xDrive program imparts a handling characteristic more like that of rear-wheel drive.

Together with DPC, these measures result in ultimate M-handling attributes. MDM facilitates maximum cornering speeds with very “late” DSC intervention…and, under the extreme tire-loading conditions at a curve’s apex, outstandingly high exit speeds, event when the road is wet. DSC can be fully de-activated (except for anti-lock braking) by a longer push on its button. What more could the expert driver ask for on a race or test track?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
MDM - i believe is M dynamic mode
It is the mode that is kind of between DSC on and DSC off
In this mode car is allowed for some slip, some spin, some slide, but just enough so you won't get yourself into trouble
I also think tranny behaves a bit more responsive in this mode
Thanks for that great info, so I will take MDM as a race track mode, and will not use it on daily driving....

Last night, I set up my M mode button like this:
Power option set to "Sport", EDC off (softer ride, and if I need it, I will activate it manualy) MDM OFF , that leaves me only with the power-sport option that means (pasted from owners manual) " The sport program permits the engine and M Sport Automatic transmission to respond more spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements. The acoustics of the BMW X6M become more sporty (what It does is that opens both inner exhaust pipes from iddle, usually those pipes are closed until you reach higher RPM's, so using this mode gives you a great real agressive V8 sound in slow driving) and "POWER" is displayed in the instrument panel.

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #4
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

You also need to be in the MDM mode to be able to use the launch control. That is why I have it programmed for MDM to come on with the M button. That way, if you want to use the launch control in a hurry, you can push the button, press the brake,then gas, and you will now be in launch control mode!
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDLORD View Post
You also need to be in the MDM mode to be able to use the launch control. That is why I have it programmed for MDM to come on with the M button. That way, if you want to use the launch control in a hurry, you can push the button, press the brake,then gas, and you will now be in launch control mode!
I totally forgot about the existence of LC...... never used it, last time was in my former E46 M3, can you tell me the procedure to test it ?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
To activate Launch Control,
the driver stops the vehicle,
moves the gear selector into the M/S position and
activates the Sports Power mode, as well as the M Dynamic mode, or respectively, the DSC-Off mode.
Then, with the transmission in stage M1, the driver presses down the brake pedal and moves the accelerator to at least 60% throttle, setting Launch Control to standby. Standby status is confirmed by “starter’s flag” symbol in the instrument cluster. As soon as the driver releases the brake pedal, the vehicle will accelerate with full power in “genuine racing style.” In the process, the M Sports Automatic transmission automatically upshifts at the ideal points, with the fastest possible shifts and optimum wheelspin control. The driver may terminate the Launch Control process at any time by reducing the throttle position.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
To activate Launch Control,
the driver stops the vehicle,
moves the gear selector into the M/S position and
activates the Sports Power mode, as well as the M Dynamic mode, or respectively, the DSC-Off mode.
Then, with the transmission in stage M1, the driver presses down the brake pedal and moves the accelerator to at least 60% throttle, setting Launch Control to standby. Standby status is confirmed by “starter’s flag” symbol in the instrument cluster. As soon as the driver releases the brake pedal, the vehicle will accelerate with full power in “genuine racing style.” In the process, the M Sports Automatic transmission automatically upshifts at the ideal points, with the fastest possible shifts and optimum wheelspin control. The driver may terminate the Launch Control process at any time by reducing the throttle position.
Sounds fun to try it, thanks for the tip !
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:04 PM   #8
imschwaggy
Rep
Drives: e36

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Sounds fun to try it, thanks for the tip !

super random but i was trying to figure out what MDM mode did too since i just grabbed an e70 x5m 2 weeks ago, and noticed you're from/in costa rica. My mom's costa rican.

MDM is definitely different in the e70 x5m than it is the e92 m3 . the e92 m3 especially when supercharged mdm really intervenes , not much different than traction on. But the x5m maybe because its in conjunction with xdrive , its a lot sportier, and not far from traction off.
Appreciate 0