XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Bob Lutz chimes in on the Automotive Enthusiasts vs. BMW debate

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Bob Lutz chimes in on the Automotive Enthusiasts vs. BMW debate
COMMENTS

In my opinion, Bob Lutz is pretty much as close to a god as we have in the car enthusiast world

For us BMW people, don't forget that Mr Lutz was on the BMW Board around the time of the 3-Series and development of BMW M! He also has been reported to be the one to bring the "Ultimate Driving Machine" tag to BMW. He authored the best seller "Car Guys vs. Bean Counters". Hes done a whole host of amazing things for other brands as well, but who cares about that.

In a short answer to an enthusiast question, over at Road and Track, Mr Lutz argues that BMWs transformation to a more 'mainstream' brand might hurt us a little bit, but is overall a great move for the brand's bottom line.

Quote:
Dear Bob,

Do you think BMW is going the way of the bean counters nowadays with the introduction [not in the U.S.] of the front-wheel-drive 2-series and soon-to-be-released 1-series?–Rafael Akopyan Havana, Cuba

Answer:
BMW has ceased to be a company designing responsive, sporting cars for enthusiasts. It has gone mainstream, which, from a shareholder's perspective, has been a good move. The brand is greatly respected, and BMW earned that respect. Most BMW buyers today pay a monthly lease and have no idea why they bought the brand, other than that it enjoys instant recognition and respect among the owner's peers. Taut ride, superb handling, sharp steering, and symphonic-quality engine sound have mostly fallen by the wayside; today's BMW customer neither notices nor cares. Front-wheel drive, minivans, small pickups—all toxic to the original owner base—are possible and will/would sell just fine.

07-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
OutlawX3M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP. 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Car guys vs Bean Counters is a must read IMO.

And you have to love a guy that will drop a 'Vette V8' into a Fisker body.
http://jalopnik.com/henrik-fisker-an...the-1751935261
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

BMW is a company in business to earn profit like any other. They have a duty to their shareholders to do just that. If the market will buy it, they will build it and they will build it how the mass market wants it. Small groups of enthusiasts won't impact that, unfortunately.

However, I do believe BMW M will continue to build great cars for the niche market. The M2 is a great, current, example
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 7
ATX_M3185.50
zoppp43.00
VRG_135836.50
Jono2112156.00
      07-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Lutz is one of the more respected and credible auto execs around. His accomplishments make him credible in the industry, and he is definitely a car guy, not a bean counter.

His reply succinctly captures the sentiment of driving enthusiasts with respect to modern BMWs. BMW leadership today aspires to build the brand into a global force. This means marketing and design to the mass consumer. The brand strategy reminds me of GM when the bean counters were in charge in the bad old 70s and 80s.

Ironically, GM learned, is now led by a car lady (and guys), and builds better enthusiast cars than BMW.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794

Last edited by tetsuo111; 07-26-2016 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

BMW has to make a profit, however, in the age of electronic suspension, steering, etc, I find it hard to accept they do not have a 'BMW mode' where the car more or less behaves as it should

They continue to make enthusiast cars in their M division and fortunately I can afford those, so I'll just keep buying Ms. The M5/6 are the best of their segment and the M3/4 is the most track/race ready of its segment as well, so they have not completely lost their way

They are receiving really bad press and it's only a matter of time before the BMW brand loses some of its status. If everyone else is going after the enthusiast in their regular models it seems like a mistake that BMW is going in the opposite direction
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

I believe much of BMWs challenge, and much of the reason they get knocked in the press and enthusiast forums, is because their evolution as a brand has run counter to many other companies. BMW started with driver-focused automobiles and then migrated towards every market segment...while many others started with a wide swath of cars and a populist philosophy to capture market share and then, when they grew a pair, decided to launch a couple driver-focused cars.

Many other companies that started with enthusiasts in mind kept moving in the direction towards cars that are out of reach for many, if not most, drivers.

Each person will have their own opinion if this is a good or bad thing. But the smart move seems to be to buy an M car and some BMW stock and enjoy both rides. Best of both worlds.
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
BMW is a company in business to earn profit like any other. They have a duty to their shareholders to do just that. If the market will buy it, they will build it and they will build it how the mass market wants it. Small groups of enthusiasts won't impact that, unfortunately.

^This
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
The last great car they built was the e9x M3.
      07-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #9
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:

However, I do believe BMW M will continue to build great cars for the niche market. The M2 is a great, current, example
Totally true.
Jono2112156.00
      07-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

What an amazing list of cars you have owned in the past 5 years. Ladies and gentlemen, here is a car guy!

2016 M2 | Long Beach Blue | 6MT - current
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT
2012 MB C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package
Appreciate 3
      07-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #11
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
It's all a matter of personal taste. I owned a 2009 E90 M3 and felt that it had the wrong engine. I suggest the current M2 is a great enthusiasts car.
      07-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #12
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44
Quote:
It's all a matter of personal taste. I owned a 2009 E90 M3 and felt that it had the wrong engine. I suggest the current M2 is a great enthusiasts car.
I think you'd be alone on that island.
oolas3388.00
      07-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #13
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw M3
Car guys vs Bean Counters is a must read IMO.
This. WELL worth the time and few bucks to buy the Kindle edition and read it on whatever device you find most convenient. I loved it start to finish. So many great stories.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #14
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal

Great point. I'll chime in in support. BMW still makes great cars for enthusiasts. They also make cars for the masses that like a nice, well built, well engineered cars, but don't like the cars for enthusiasts. This is a wonderful thing. In short, the masses are subsidizing BMWs efforts for enthusiasts, and we benefit not only on price, but also great built quality and engineering throughout.

When you can get an M2 for a touch over 50k and an M3 under 70k, you should be thankful someone over in Munich is still thinking about you and quit worrying about the fact that they need to make money and built "normal" cars to do it. Have you seen how much you have to pay for a Porsche to get comparable performance?
Appreciate 2
Jono2112156.00
      07-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #15
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Increasing Sales brings in more money, but...

BMW built its image by designing high performance automobiles for car enthusiasts. Widening the design portfolio, while bringing in more sales, will also ultimately dilute the image of a sharp handling sports car as more compromises are made to luxury and/or the mass market in general.

If the brand finds this to be a huge sales success, enthusiasts lose because performance models become less important/available/focused. If the brand find this to be a huge failure, the brand may disappear altogether, if the enthusiasts change allegiances to a more focused brand.

Radio Shack used to be a very focused store. If you were into electronics, you could find almost any individual component there (transistors, capacitors, resistors, switches, etc). They also had one of the first personal computers (TRS-80). Their sales were driven by a niche market of enthusiasts. Then they diluted their brand in a hope to get more mass market share. Eventually, all you could buy at Radio Shack was Cell Phones, MP3 players, and cheap radio control cars. I expect their sales went up as they embraced the mass market, but they lost their identity, and the enthusiast customers went elsewhere (SparkFun, etc). Now they were competing in a much larger market, with many more players, and just couldn't compete on that level. So they also lost their mass market customers as well. Radio Shack ultimately failed as they lost focus and diluted their brand in hopes to appeal to a larger market, and easily lost to the Best Buy's of the world.

"New Coke" anyone?

I've said it before, but: "If you keep adding water to the Kool Aide, pretty soon all you got is water"
Appreciate 5
      07-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #16
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Having owned one, as well as many others, I really feel like the last "great" car in terms of soul, German-ness, M principles, was the E39 M5. The used market seems to agree with me.

Bob Lutz is right and I'm glad someone with authority has finally pointed that BMW M is slowly drifting away from being an enthusiast brand. They now simply make "good" competent cars that get reasonable fuel efficiency. If that is what you're all about, then you'll love everything they produce. In general, they know it sells and they have the ///Marketing department and journalists in tow.
      07-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #17
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Increasing Sales brings in more money, but...

BMW built its image by designing high performance automobiles for car enthusiasts. Widening the design portfolio, while bringing in more sales, will also ultimately dilute the image of a sharp handling sports car as more compromises are made to luxury and/or the mass market in general.

If the brand finds this to be a huge sales success, enthusiasts lose because performance models become less important/available/focused. If the brand find this to be a huge failure, the brand may disappear altogether, if the enthusiasts change allegiances to a more focused brand.

Radio Shack used to be a very focused store. If you were into electronics, you could find almost any individual component there (transistors, capacitors, resistors, switches, etc). They also had one of the first personal computers (TRS-80). Their sales were driven by a niche market of enthusiasts. Then they diluted their brand in a hope to get more mass market share. Eventually, all you could buy at Radio Shack was Cell Phones, MP3 players, and cheap radio control cars. I expect their sales went up as they embraced the mass market, but they lost their identity, and the enthusiast customers went elsewhere (SparkFun, etc). Now they were competing in a much larger market, with many more players, and just couldn't compete on that level. So they also lost their mass market customers as well. Radio Shack ultimately failed as they lost focus and diluted their brand in hopes to appeal to a larger market, and easily lost to the Best Buy's of the world.

"New Coke" anyone?

I've said it before, but: "If you keep adding water to the Kool Aide, pretty soon all you got is water"
I agree, generally, but I don't think the mass luxury market car buyer sees it this way any longer. They aren't buying for driving feel and performance. They are buying for gadgets, badge status and prestige, and comfort. BMW is simply looking more and more like Mercedes, Lexus, etc. They will continue to have a performance oriented focus for some cars (M, like Mercedes AMG, Lexus' F, etc) but the vast majority of their cars will move to what the market wants.

We forget, here, sometimes that we are a SMALL part of the market. My wife likes the idea of driving a "BMW" but just really wants a nice SUV. So, that's what BMW will build her She represents the vast majority of buyers today IMO.
Appreciate 1
Zyal8r21.00
      07-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #18
PennSt8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i, 2020 BMW M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Most BMW buyers today pay a monthly lease and have no idea why they bought the brand, other than that it enjoys instant recognition and respect among the owner's peers.
If you removed BMWs name and inserted Audi or Mercedes-Benz, the same thing holds true.
zoppp43.00
      07-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #19
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSt8 View Post
If you removed BMWs name and inserted Audi or Mercedes-Benz, the same thing holds true.
Agreed... Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, MB... change the name/badge and its the same story.

Even Porsche is going that way. Many people buying a 911 these days are buying it for the status and not the performance... hence why sedans and SUV's are now really driving the sales of Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #20
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSt8 View Post
Or virtually any popular luxury model.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #21
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Most BMW buyers today pay a monthly lease and have no idea why they bought the brand, other than that it enjoys instant recognition and respect among the owner's peers
I very agree with this. Sometimes I wonder why my wife bought a BMW (wondering whether it was I who steered her this direction) as she was cross shopping IS250, TLX, A4, and C Class. And what eliminated the other choices wasn't based on driving dynamics at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #22
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

I have been driving ZHPs for 10 years and have a 435GC

And yes mainstream is the word. In going from an E46 ZHP to a 435 GC is night and day. I own both and drive both. The 435 is UUUGe and is NOT for carving up side roads and mountain passes- but it is a great highway cruiser for sure- and with the front splitter does add some good traction in the 80-100 MPH Range (not diving in that range much but...) but so are MANY other cars out now who all share the same robotic assembly plants and have pilfered top designers away from the German companies etc...
But where BMW MUST change is the Navigation Infotainment system- the roller ball concept is weak and takes to many steps. The nav system doesn't recognize voice commands for Sh*t. I like the split screen for traffic alerts but its not near as good as my Iphone...
My daughters Ram pickup with the 8" touchscreen option blows the BMW away. And for 65k why did I get such an AVERAGE sound system- the Kia Rios (and many others in the 18-30k range) are just so much better. BMW gets a lot for that logo and that is not a bad thing. The cars for the most part are great- but next time around- how I interact with it the car will be as important as the car itself.
Appreciate 2
zoppp43.00
Zyal8r21.00