XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW wireless charging smartphone case and snap-in adapter

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW wireless charging smartphone case and snap-in adapter
COMMENTS
Name:  P90194968-highRes.jpg
Views: 70842
Size:  1.17 MB

BMW Press Release

August 27, 2015

Wireless charging as a retrofit solution with snap-in adapter.

Those who use a smartphone with a wireless charging function or wish to upgrade their smartphone with this technology can now also use this comfortable charging method in BMW vehicles. The snap-in wireless charging adapter available as an original BMW accessory offers wireless charging, whilst serving as a safe and stable storage system for the mobile phone. An integrated LED display provides continuous information on the charging process and the status of the mobile phone when it is not in use. The stainless steel/matt black plastic retaining clip ensures that the mobile phone is held firmly in place. The rubberized underside of the retaining clip protects the display from scratches. The inductive connection with the external aerial guarantees optimum network coverage and reduces the level of radiation inside the car. The snap-in wireless charging adapter can be used in all BMW vehicles fitted with a base plate.

Wireless charging also for the Apple iPhone.

The new wireless charging case from the original BMW accessory range permits wireless charging of Apple iPhones (5, 5S, 6 and 6 Plus) in the new BMW 7 Series with the wireless charging option or in all other BMW models with the snap-in wireless charging adapter. The attractive wireless charging case in BMW design is a one-piece unit with a fold-up lid and is used in a similar way to a conventional mobile phone protective case. When the iPhone is put into the case, it is compatible with all Qi-certified chargers – whether at home, at the office or out and about.

Name:  P90194967-highRes.jpg
Views: 52172
Size:  1.23 MB

Name:  P90194968-highRes.jpg
Views: 70842
Size:  1.17 MB

Name:  P90194969-highRes.jpg
Views: 50534
Size:  685.2 KB

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Oo, when can we snag one of this??
Appreciate 2
      08-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
So i imagine this precludes you from connecting the phone to the car with anything but Bluetooth? Compared to other snap in adapters this had no data transfer built in.

So incompatible with BMW apps, high quality music streaming and control?

Nice idea, i was almost excited for a minute there.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
So i imagine this precludes you from connecting the phone to the car with anything but Bluetooth? Compared to other snap in adapters this had no data transfer built in.

If it plugged into something, there would be no reason for wireless charging.
Appreciate 3
      08-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

I need this so I can get rid of my cigarette lighter adapter.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Wait a minute. Is the snap in adapter vertical as shown in the pictures or that's just on the new 7 and the adapter allows you to lay the phone flat? If it doesn't allow it to be flat then this won't work for those of us with i8s.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post

If it plugged into something, there would be no reason for wireless charging.
EDIT: Looks like there's a Micro-USB connector, so you should be able to charge by wire, sync with PCs, and connect to cars. You just wouldn't get the full array of Lightning connectivity like support for camera card readers and whatever other stuff Lightning offers now or in the future. But judging BMW on its timeliness of cradle releases relative to phone releases, I'm not optimistic about the sustainability of this option. Maybe the wireless charge pad will work with other cases?

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 08-27-2015 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #8
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

when I was shopping for cars lexus had a wireless charging pad built in the car. the dumb thing is these days with the camera lens sticking out, I couldn't get the phone to sit flush to even use it ha
      08-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
gvega702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325i Premium | Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86
when I was shopping for cars lexus had a wireless charging pad built in the car. the dumb thing is these days with the camera lens sticking out, I couldn't get the phone to sit flush to even use it ha
If your referring to an iPhone I'm nearly 100% sure it is not compatible with wireless charging. So that's probably why it didn't work in the Lexus. Hence why BMW has created a case that does it instead and then charges the phone from there
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #10
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
The point is that you would have to remove the case to plug the phone into ANYTHING, not just the car. I might want wireless charging but not have to take the case off every time I want to connect to something. I agree that a pass-through connector would have been a lot better. But judging BMW on its timeliness of cradle releases relative to phone releases, I'm not optimistic about the sustainability of this option.
You can't blame BMW for that, it's apples fault for not including built in wireless charging on their phones.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #11
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

They should definitely design this in the cigarette lighter/ash tray compartment, NOT the center glove box, seems very often you wind up leaving it in car and have to come back for your cell.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 2
      08-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The point is that you would have to remove the case to plug the phone into ANYTHING, not just the car. I might want wireless charging but not have to take the case off every time I want to connect to something. I agree that a pass-through connector would have been a lot better. But judging BMW on its timeliness of cradle releases relative to phone releases, I'm not optimistic about the sustainability of this option.
You can't blame BMW for that, it's apples fault for not including built in wireless charging to their phones.
EDIT: Case has Micro-USB passthrough. Native wireless charging support would be better, but I don't think anyone will stop using an iPhone over lack of wireless charging, but they might avoid certain accessories that cause inconvenience, so right or wrong, it's in BMW's interest to work around Apple, not tell Apple customers to blame Apple.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 08-27-2015 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #13
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR
They should definitely design this in the cigarette lighter/ash tray compartment, NOT the center glove box, seems very often you wind up leaving it in car and have to come back for your cell.
Since I have Combox and therefore Bluetooth steaming, every single time I've connected my phone to charge or get higher quality audio, I've left it in there when I got out. Drives me nuts.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #14
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That would indeed also solve the problem, but given that they didn't, BMW could have designed a case with a pass-through Lightning connector for convenience. I don't think anyone will stop using an iPhone over lack of wireless charging, but they might avoid BMW's wireless charging case over this inconvenience, and therefore right or wrong, it's in BMW's interest to work around Apple.
You technically should be able to use any wireless charging case, but I don't think any of them have access to the lightning port. They need the port for the charging.

I am guessing BMW is also taking a hunch that the next iphone will have wireless charging.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #15
JasW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR
Since I have Combox and therefore Bluetooth steaming, every single time I've connected my phone to charge or get higher quality audio, I've left it in there when I got out. Drives me nuts.
Which is why I don't care that there is no snap in adapter for my phone (a Note 4), other than the fact the space in the center console is wasted. I just use an angled ProClip mount to the right of the nav display for the phone, and a 128GB USB stick in the console for music. If I have to charge, I'd much prefer the rapid charger I can use in the lighter over the regular speed of the snap in. And I never forget my phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #16
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
You technically should be able to use any wireless charging case, but I don't think any of them have access to the lightning port. They need the port for the charging.

I am guessing BMW is also taking a hunch that the next iphone will have wireless charging.
There are wireless charging cases with Micro-USB passthrough, which at least allows you to sync to PCs and charge the phone even if it doesn't allow full Lightning functionality. That's still a much better option. You do raise a good point about compatibility, though. I'd be curious about that as well.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #17
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There are wireless charging cases with Micro-USB passthrough, which at least allows you to sync to PCs and charge the phone even if it doesn't allow full Lightning functionality. That's still a much better option. You do raise a good point about compatibility, though. I'd be curious about that as well.
The picture here does show a mirco usb slot. Are you sure it's not passthrough?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #18
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW View Post
Which is why I don't care that there is no snap in adapter for my phone (a Note 4), other than the fact the space in the center console is wasted. I just use an angled ProClip mount to the right of the nav display for the phone, and a 128GB USB stick in the console for music. If I have to charge, I'd much prefer the rapid charger I can use in the lighter over the regular speed of the snap in. And I never forget my phone.
Agreed, I bought a Scosche USBC242M 12Wx2 charger and it's amazing, so at this point the only time I ever connect my phone is when I want higher quality audio than Bluetooth streaming offers, but that's only on the very rare longer road trip. I've thought about the flash drive option, but playlists don't work as well (or at all?), it's one more thing to remember to update when you add new music to your library on your PC, and of course you can't pull from Pandora that way.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #19
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
The picture here does show a mirco usb slot. Are you sure it's not passthrough?

Serves me right for looking at this thread from my phone and giving the text more attention than the photos.

[Editing previous posts now....]

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #20
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Serves me right for looking at this thread from my phone and giving the text more attention than the photos.

I don't have an iphone, but I would guess it's still not ideal for you guys. It seems like most apple users don't usually have micro usb cables lying around to charge with.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #21
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
Wait a minute. Is the snap in adapter vertical as shown in the pictures or that's just on the new 7 and the adapter allows you to lay the phone flat? If it doesn't allow it to be flat then this won't work for those of us with i8s.
Based on the text it's a snap-in (flat) adapter for everything but the 7. The 7 probably has it built in, which is why it has a little pocket for it.
      08-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #22
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't have an iphone, but I would guess it's still not ideal for you guys. It seems like most apple users don't usually have micro usb cables lying around to charge with.
I've got enough other micro USB devices to have cables where I need them, and they're cheap anyway. Unlike Lightning cables....

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0