XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
3soon2b5
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Big Spill in X5 Trunk - Drainage Question

So, long story short, I purchased large bottle of Grey Goose vodka. I left it in the trunk of my 2012 X5 3.5d and when I came back the next morning, it had somehow leaked more than 1 liter of vodka (this story would have been sad enough had the bottle broken outside of the car!). The bottle was nearly emptied during the spill but the trunk carpet was only a little bit damp and there was a distinct vodka smell, but not too overpowering (probably because it was pretty good vodka). I used a wet towel, febreeze and a shop vac to try to pull whatever remaining liquid and odor out of the carpet. It's still damp but I'm hopeful that it will be ok. Have the windows cracked - the car is parked in an underground garage for now.

I opened the trunk compartment that would lead to the emergency spare (I don't have one/didn't order it) and the liner of that lower compartment was only a bit damp. I removed that carpet and am letting it air out in the sun.

I guess I have two questions:

1. Is it possible that the 1 liter of liquid drained to some other part of the car under the spare compartment? If so, where would it go? I should note that the car was parked in 70 degree sunny weather for about 24 hours - maybe it simply evaporated since it's water-based?

2. Is there anything electrical or mechanical back there that could be damaged? I haven't had any warning lights come on yet, but it has only been about 24 hours since the estimated time of the spill.

Any help here is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
CrazyRC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M40I

Who else has keys to your vehicle? Do you have teenage children? Haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 12:23 AM   #3
leebee
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35D,

big spill

I feel your pain but I am still totally envious! My wife spilled a 1/2 gallon jug of Soy sauce. Don't ask, it still makes me cry to talk about it. To answer your questions; the space where the liquid would run is water tight. No way to get out. The alcohol probably evaporated, sweet for you. There are wire bundles and a few electrical bits in that area but nothing that should really be harmed by that relatively small amount of liquid. I know because the back end of my e70 has been taken completely apart. I know the back end of that car better than I ever wanted to. I even used a camera scope to look in frame components for sauce. The smell is mostly gone after working on it for a month. I think I still need to remove the wire bundle wraps and replace them. Any liquids now go in a plastic tote. Live and learn.
Appreciate 0