XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #89
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
That's what I thought...

Now - who's yo daddy??

Me.

Back to our originally scheduled thread.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #90
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer
Quote:
That's what I thought...

Now - who's yo daddy??

Me.

Back to our originally scheduled thread.
Not until I get our agreed upon contractual obligation...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #91
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Not until I get our agreed upon contractual obligation...
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #92
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

08-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #93
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

I could not handle chantix. Made me paranoid...not good had to stop, but it does work as described above if you can take it.

Best advice is to make up your mind to do it. Nicotine patches are ok to use for maybe the first 2 or 3 weeks.

Good luck, I will be joining you soon. It is not easy.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      08-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #94
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
@NY10 How'd it go today? Inquiring minds want to know.
      08-17-2016, 10:14 PM   #95
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Hey OP, how's everything going? You hanging in there ok?

I know I said this before but the first week or two will be hell on earth with the ups and downs, especially if you're having a really shitty day in general. Hope you're staying strong!
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      08-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #96
RoundelObsession
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: S65M3

NY10, it will be a never ending journey but oh so worth it!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #97
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

Day 2 complete. Not 1 smoke all day.

I was crazy busy at work until 9 tonight which helped pass the time but with the crazy work and insanity I was nervous for when I left the building. Walked to the train passed about 100 people smoking just walking.

When I got to my car I opened the glove box for something and found my "spare" pack and lighter. I will admit holding the pack was hard. I sat there for about 15 seconds and went through about 500 thoughts, finally I put it back in the box started the car and drove home, got in my driveway took out the pack and the lighter and threw it in the trash for pick up tomorrow morning.

It felt great.

Tonight one of my friends called and for the first time I went out on my deck (my usual smoking spot) and sat outside and talked on the phone. I did that every night while lighting one after another while being on the phone but tonight just walked around the deck, soaked up the cool breeze (finally in NY) and talked to my friend.

The urge is there 100% but my fight to never pick up another one is stronger. I keep telling myself I didn't spend the last 24 hours going through this to just stop and waste it now, and with each day the more time I put into quitting the more strength I'll have not to F it all up.

So tomorrow is day 3 and being there's not one single cigarette left anywhere in my position and I'll be damed if I go waste money on buying a new pack it'll just be another day getting my health back.
Appreciate 5
MKSixer34184.50
smoosh2211.50
pz6193278.50
bimmette6453.50
fecurtis3262.00
      08-17-2016, 10:41 PM   #98
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY10 View Post

I was crazy busy at work until 9 tonight which helped pass the time but with the crazy work and insanity I was nervous for when I left the building. Walked to the train passed about 100 people smoking just walking.

When I got to my car I opened the glove box for something and found my "spare" pack and lighter. I will admit holding the pack was hard. I sat there for about 15 seconds and went through about 500 thoughts, finally I put it back in the box started the car and drove home, got in my driveway took out the pack and the lighter and threw it in the trash for pick up tomorrow morning.

It felt great.

Tonight one of my friends called and for the first time I went out on my deck (my usual smoking spot) and sat outside and talked on the phone. I did that every night while lighting one after another while being on the phone but tonight just walked around the deck, soaked up the cool breeze (finally in NY) and talked to my friend.

The urge is there 100% but my fight to never pick up another one is stronger. I keep telling myself I didn't spend the last 24 hours going through this to just stop and waste it now, and with each day the more time I put into quitting the more strength I'll have not to F it all up.

So tomorrow is day 3 and being there's not one single cigarette left anywhere in my position and I'll be damed if I go waste money on buying a new pack it'll just be another day getting my health back.
Good for you! Congrats... as someone said, each day will get just a little easier. You will feel a difference. Good for you. Ignore the bullshit in here... sorry I took up space. On the other hand, if you want Oxy, pretty sure someone here has a hookup. Heh. Hey, you need a replacement behavior. (I kid, but laughter is good too!)
      08-17-2016, 10:46 PM   #99
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

It felt great.

Keep up the great work. You have this covered.
Your thoughtful recaps tell me that you are in control of your mind and managing your environment which will keep you on the pathway to achieving your goal.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #100
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It felt great.

Kicking ass man, keep it up! As each day goes by it'll, as a whole, become easier.

Just think that if you give into that urge, all of the hard work you've done so far will be down the drain and you'll have to experience this all over again when you try to quit again.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #101
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I smoked as a kid in the 1970s (yes, they had cigs back then, even in packages) Quit one day after having a wonderful French Toast breakfast, which I puked all over the floor after having a drag outside.

Every now and then I still catch a whiff of someone smoking, and so want to just grab a quick hit. Have faltered a few times in Vegas with a cigar. I know when the cravings will end, but this way at least it will be a lot longer in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #102
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Man, it's great to hear how strong you are being. Keep it up! Being from NY, it has to be difficult as I feel everyone in the City smokes. Have to hold my breath half the time walking through Manhattan. This is the best decision you'll ever make.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #103
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I smoked as a kid in the 1970s (yes, they had cigs back then, even in packages) Quit one day after having a wonderful French Toast breakfast, which I puked all over the floor after having a drag outside.

Every now and then I still catch a whiff of someone smoking, and so want to just grab a quick hit. Have faltered a few times in Vegas with a cigar. I know when the cravings will end, but this way at least it will be a lot longer in the future.
Not trying to threadjack (great job OP) - I've never had a cigarette, but I have a cigar probably once a week in the summer, and then nothing all winter (I'm a fair weather cigar smoker only). Thus far, I believe I've never felt a need for a cigar or am addicted, but I always figure this is exactly what addicts say. So, when you had cigars, did you get the same feeling you got when you used to have cigarettes? Is it the same or different?

Do you crave cigars as equally as you crave cigarettes (assuming you had the time to smoke a cigar - ignore the time convenience factor).

I'm just curious as it might be beneficial to me to understand. One of my very few serious posts.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #104
rohitsja
MUHAAHAA
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i/ 09 E92 335i

Good Job OP, it is tough and but if you push through enough you will eventually be able to get rid of it. I myself recently quit, June 15, 2016, so 2 months and a few days so far on this new journey of my life.

I started during my undergrad, a few ciggs a day and then it became a habit (10-15 ciggs a day) for the next 11 years although back in 2012 I had decided that I will eventually quit at some point but it is not now, kept on telling that myself day by day and weeks and months went by. By the end of 2012 I went from 10-15 ciggs a day to 8-10ciggs, I stopped smoking back to back as a first step. When i was comfortable enough with that, in 2013 I lowered my goal to 6-8ciggs a day, at this time I was also keeping a watch on my triggers and habits, I realized I had a set schedule for the day pretty much.

Then I started attacking one particular timing of the day, kept myself busy with something else during that time, if I could go without smoking for that timing for the next week consistently, I would reward myself by smoking in that exact time window of the day, I know it may sound weird but I am a doofus so to get myself to do somethings somtimes, I have to tell myself there is something in it for me lol if that makes sense.

Then in 2014, it went down to 4-6 ciggs a day and then last year it was to 2-4 ciggs a day and from early this year I dropped down to 1 cigg/ day and then started skipping days. June 15 was not a planned date, it so happened.
Now when I have had the chance to hold a cigarette twice in my hands, thanks to my friends, I think about resetting my counter which I am not ready for now.

I am not even sure if I would ever smoke again, I dont think I want to, biggest problem for me was getting over the urge to smoke when u r drinking. Hence the slow and gradual path for me worked the best, friends around me encouraged as well and then my loving fiancee offered to give me a BJ anytime I had the urge, you can bet how that was going to work out

Not suggesting by any means that you should continue to smoke for a few years, just wanted to share my story. Cheers and Good Luck !
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #105
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Not trying to threadjack (great job OP) - I've never had a cigarette, but I have a cigar probably once a week in the summer, and then nothing all winter (I'm a fair weather cigar smoker only). Thus far, I believe I've never felt a need for a cigar or am addicted, but I always figure this is exactly what addicts say. So, when you had cigars, did you get the same feeling you got when you used to have cigarettes? Is it the same or different?

Do you crave cigars as equally as you crave cigarettes (assuming you had the time to smoke a cigar - ignore the time convenience factor).

I'm just curious as it might be beneficial to me to understand. One of my very few serious posts.
It's the rush of inhaling TOBACCO (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) smoke into my lungs. Whether it is wrapped in more tobacco, or in paper, or in a pipe really doesn't matter as much. It is still much more difficult to inhale cigar smoke, but some goes in and the nicotine does its work. Sometimes, just a deep breathe of second-hand is enough. In Vegas any more, I just keep the cigar in my mouth unlit, unless I really want the table all to myself
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #106
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Hmm, so you got the same feeling then basically? I wondered if it was all the chemicals in cigarettes that contributed to it being different / more addictive.

Maybe cigars are just as addictive, but I don't think they are?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #107
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post

Meh you aren't inhaling it with cigars so it's different. I guess you could inhale cigars if you wanted to throw up all over the place.

I can smoke 3 cigars in a day with some Macallan, and not have the urge to have another cigar.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      08-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #108
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Meh you aren't inhaling it with cigars so it's different. I guess you could inhale cigars if you wanted to throw up all over the place.

I can smoke 3 cigars in a day with some Macallan, and not have the urge to have another cigar.
This.
When are we hanging?
Appreciate 1
fecurtis3262.00
      08-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #109
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
This.
When are we hanging?
Roll on out to DC.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      08-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #110
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
It's the rush of inhaling TOBACCO (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) ....
I think the rule is "d" before "e" except after Uncle, so its really UncleWeed.
Appreciate 0