XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-17-2016, 01:27 AM   #67
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY10 View Post
Thank you for this. Well my last smoke was at 4pm today. the patch stayed on until 9:15 when I came home from work. Took a shower, no smoke, ate a little something no smoke. So for me to come home from a long day of work and not smoke then eat something and not smoke is big.

It's now 11:07 and I'm getting into bed no smoke before bed.

So tomorrow starts the first full day. When I left for work I made my girl throw out every single pack, lighter, ashtray everything. Came home they're gone don't want to know where thry are or if they are even still around the house.

I will say it was nice getting out of the shower and in bed and not smelling like smoke.

Tomorrow will be a FULL day with none. I was fine for the most part until about 9:30 when I was a little bored and wanted a cig.

I want to get past these next few days and just every night smile that I'm not smoking anymore.
I'm not going to lie, this will be the hardest day for you. However after one full day it does get easier, I promise. You just have to keep reminding yourself what a waste of time/effort the last 24hrs would've been if you did have just the one cig.

As I'm sure you've noticed the cravings pass after a short while.

If your at work let everyone know your giving up to explain the possible mood swings you may have. Hopefully your colleagues will offer support

Keep up the good work, remember tomorrow WILL be easier, not easy but definitely easier than today

Let us know either way, I really hope you can beat the evil nicotine 1st time
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 01:48 AM   #68
SDH
Captain
Rep

Oh yeah, don't forget to reward yourself with something nice at the end of today. Big fat pizza for dinner or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 01:49 AM   #69
SDH
Captain
Rep

Or ask the wife/partner for a reward that'll lower the blood pressure
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      08-17-2016, 02:49 AM   #70
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

OP, good advice from several posters.

I quit a 2+ pack a day habit years ago. Here were the keys to my success in quitting:

Really want to do it. It sounds like you are ready to be serious so you have a great chance.

When you get a craving, brush your teeth really well. Take a toothbrush and tooth paste with you when you leave your house. When the craving is so bad you are ready to light up, go brush your teeth instead.

If you are still tempted to light up, do something to distract the urge to light up. For me, taking a short nap when I had the opportunity was the trick. Go take a walk. Go to a movie. Get yourself laid. Anything to power through the urge to light up.

Keep cigarettes and a lighter and a dirty ashtray with cigarette butts in it next to you. These "triggers" will be around you and you can't ignore them. So, quit with them in your face. If your friends smoke, don't ask them stop smoking around you.

Each day is easier than the last. The time between cravings gets longer and longer.

It is so worth it. I quit 30 years ago.If I'd smoked 2+ packs each day for 30 years I'd be gone I'm sure. Instead, I get to watch amazing grandkids grow up.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:17 AM   #71
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Great stuff from sygazelle I like his chosen replacement behavior. OP, you've heard "one day at a time" before for people and drinking right? Keep that in mind today. You don't have to think about never smoking again. Just don't smoke today - no matter what. You can make it through today - that's all you need to do. One day.

Then, make it one day tomorrow, but wait till tomorrow to worry about that.
      08-17-2016, 06:52 AM   #72
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I second that! One day after another, it gets more easy to get over it. After a week you're be proud to continue since quitting and have hopefully the will to carry on.
Main thing is: Just start!

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #73
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

On day 2 now. Last night went fast and I slept really well.

Woke up had coffee and some breakfast no smoke. First time I had coffee and something to eat and didn't smoke. Wasn't even tempted.

Usually when my eyes opened it was time for my first cigarette of the day but didn't even want it.

I'll admit it was tricky getting into a different morning routine but the feeling of getting out of the shower getting dressed for work and not smelling like a ashtray is pleasant so far.

Last night talked to a good friend who smokes and he offered support. My co workers have been great so far. The ones I work closest too are aware and they are not only supportive they are understanding if I snap at them and even "watch" out for me if I'm heading out of the office.

Being in NYC once I step foot out the door it's w cloud of smoke from the moment I hit the street but today I just kept walking, each person I passed with a smoke I held my breath and didn't look back.

I think breaking all my old habits is gonna be hard. I feel like I had set times and routines for when I wanted to smoke. Plus being in a stressful job, coming home late at night, having a drink sitting down and lighting up to just have a moment of quiet and some thought time.

Tomorrow night I am meeting some friends for dinner and possibly some drinks but they both know what's going on and won't let me touch a cigarette even if I beg for one.

I'm a stubborn bastastard and I don't like to be defeated so there's no way I am gonna give in for a moment. I set a goal for myself and I have to just pushing towards it.
Appreciate 4
fecurtis3262.00
MKSixer34173.50
smoosh2211.50
SDH409.00
      08-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #74
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Today I made the choice to quit.

It's been 3 hours with the patch and 2 packs of gum and I'm struggling hard.

Anyone have any luck with quitting and how long after cravings ended?
I'm 37 and I smoked when I was in HS and when I was in the service.. After I got out and went to college I started working out. Hitting the gym hard helped to get me away from smoking.. I substituted one addiction for another but at least this one has positive benefits.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 08:33 AM   #75
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Woke up had coffee and some breakfast no smoke. First time I had coffee and something to eat and didn't smoke. Wasn't even tempted.

Usually when my eyes opened it was time for my first cigarette of the day but didn't even want it.

I'll admit it was tricky getting into a different morning routine but the feeling of getting out of the shower getting dressed for work and not smelling like a ashtray is pleasant so far.

Last night talked to a good friend who smokes and he offered support. My co workers have been great so far. The ones I work closest too are aware and they are not only supportive they are understanding if I snap at them and even "watch" out for me if I'm heading out of the office.

Being in NYC once I step foot out the door it's w cloud of smoke from the moment I hit the street but today I just kept walking, each person I passed with a smoke I held my breath and didn't look back.

I think breaking all my old habits is gonna be hard. I feel like I had set times and routines for when I wanted to smoke. Plus being in a stressful job, coming home late at night, having a drink sitting down and lighting up to just have a moment of quiet and some thought time.

Tomorrow night I am meeting some friends for dinner and possibly some drinks but they both know what's going on and won't let me touch a cigarette even if I beg for one.

I'm a stubborn bastastard and I don't like to be defeated so there's no way I am gonna give in for a moment. I set a goal for myself and I have to just pushing towards it.
THIS! For me, after I made the decision, it was about not wanting to be beaten - not wanting to wuss out. You know... not dying is good too, but fuck if I will lose a fight that I picked!
      08-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #76
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I'm 37 and I smoked when I was in HS and when I was in the service.. After I got out and went to college I started working out. Hitting the gym hard helped to get me away from smoking.. I substituted one addiction for another but at least this one has positive benefits.
That's exactly what I did, but I mainly did running. Great way to get your mind off of it and the "runner's high" you get when you first start running is a pretty good replacement for that nicotine buzz you may miss.
Appreciate 3
jtodd_fl6703.50
MKSixer34173.50
smoosh2211.50
      08-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #77
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

You are KILLING it!!

Congratulations on finding the best way that works for you!!

Keep up the great work!!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      08-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #78
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I know a couple people who had great luck with hypnosis. One of them had a wife that continued to smoke around him and he still had no desire.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #79
shawnj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I know how it goes.... I'm only 3 days "clean" haha

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #80
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Survival instincts can help you get through anything...

Do you want to watch your grandchildren grow up? Do you want to leave your wife alone for the rest of her long life as you die prematurely? How will she feel being all alone in the house without her beloved?

Keep reminding yourself this, and you WILL get through it...

GL
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      08-17-2016, 04:05 PM   #81
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh

Do you want to watch your grandchildren grow up? Do you want to leave your wife alone for the rest of her long life as you die prematurely? How will she feel being all alone in the house without her beloved?

GL
Fuck, I almost don't recognize you...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #82
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei
Quote:

GL
You know you were thinking the same thing, jail bait...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #83
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Great stuff, great attitude. Keep it up man
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #84
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

GL
Yeah, while sitting in the wilderness, getting up early to watch the sunrise while holding hands singing kumbaya my lord?

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #85
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

GL
Yeah, while sitting in the wilderness, getting up early to watch the sunrise while holding hands singing kumbaya my lord?

Fuck yea that's what I did!!

I also walked through 1.5 miles of bear territory while it was pitch black outside, no mention of that?!?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #86
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

GL

I also walked through 1.5 miles of bear territory while it was pitch black outside, no mention of that?!?
You don't really want the entire conversation dissected on here, do you?

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #87
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

GL

I'll stomp on your ambitions if you post the entire convo shoeis
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #88
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

GL

I'll stomp on your ambitions if you post the entire convo shoeis
That's what I thought...

Now - who's yo daddy??

Appreciate 0