XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

Did I fry my batteries?

So I put my X6 on charge since it was parked for a couple weeks. It was charging around 45 mins then I smelt that rotten eggs smell so I quickly disconnected the charger.

I realized I did not select the 2amp setting so it was charging on regular setting.

I let the vehicle air out for an hour or so and then took it for a drive and I didn't get any error messages etc.

I removed the batteries and left them out for about 1.5 hours and then got them bench tested.

The batteries both were still holding a charge so I'm wondering was that smell coming from the vehicle itself? I'm planning on leaving the batteries out and then taking them back to get tested on Sunday evening and see if they still hold charge.

Any ideas as to whether the batteries are still okay?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #2
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Well if the vehicle is fine then there’s no other thing that you can chase after looking for a fault. Smell the battery if the rotten egg is from the battery itself.
If anything, you had desulfate(sp) the battery. Congrats on adding more years to the battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 11:56 AM   #3
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Are you saying that this process may have desulfated the batteries?

I was surprised when one of the batteries tested so high, I wonder if it was residual from the overcharge.

In any case I'll have them tested again tomorrow just to be sure of the charge capacity.

Does each batter serve a different purpose or do they both just power the vehicle? Would it be beneficial to install the higher rated battery in the position closer to the driver or passenger side?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:47 PM   #4
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Higher battery ah will let you park the car for longer period of time because of bmw battery drain problem lol 😂. Both of my x3 and x5 couldn’t sit for more than 6 days without having a “high battery drain” message popping up.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I was getting the high battery discharge message as well. That was at the ten year mark with the stock batteries. I haven't had any issues since I replaced and registered the new batteries.

I'm headed back to the store today to test the batteries and compare the results with what was shown on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #6
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

We have two batteries? Or is it a diesel model?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 10:29 PM   #7
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The X6 50i has two batteries in the trunk.

So I took the batteries today to have them retested and one dropped by 16CCA and the other dropped by 27CCA. I had them removed from the vehicle since Friday afternoon.

Both tested okay and I was able to get my hands on a noco genius 10 which has a 12V AGM charge mode. Both batteries charged and held a charge so it seems like they aren't damaged.

But the odd thing is the vehicle still has that odour coming from it. Not a sulphur or rotten egg smell but it this odd smell I can't figure out.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 08:39 AM   #8
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Can batteries off gas into the vehicle even if the vent tubes are both connected?

I still have this smell coming from the vehicle from the trunk where the batteries are. I recall when the batteries were removed for a few days, the smell was still lingering in the trunk but when I sniffed the batteries I couldn't smell anything.

It's not a strong sulphuric smell but more like something is being fried, it's a weird smell I can't really put my finger on.

If the batteries are still holding charge and have not bulged out etc, could they still be off gassing inside the vehicle?
Appreciate 0