XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-23-2018, 02:06 AM   #265
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

I work nights at Boeing so I'm still up :-) The install takes only a few hours, it's pretty easy once you're in there.

Last edited by m5james; 03-27-2018 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #266
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Was it 0-80 on your unit? or 0-40?
Sorry haven't been in the car. Ill check tonight.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #267
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
"Type 8"...is that any option with 8" screen listed? There are 17 options in my list...usually listing chassis and screen size...Mine came default on a 10.25 selection for an Fxx....that was oversized and I had clipping around the edges...

Thx
Did you ever fix the overscan in the original iDrive? My iDrive is also oversized slightly.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #268
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5james View Post
Besides a GPS splitter and upgraded Aux cable are there any other "must get" items I should order?
IF you route the USB cables to the armrest, you'll need 1m USB extensions. I would also upgrade the Aux cable, instead of using AVIN's, $0.02.
      02-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #269
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
Did you ever fix the overscan in the original iDrive? My iDrive is also oversized slightly.
Per boneca, I used "8. F02 (2009-2015) 10.25 inch" and that's about as good as I think I can get. Nothing is cutoff, but it's very close to the edge.
      03-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #270
DJLoky06
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
+1

Voice input says there is no device. I bought a mic that i was goint to install on the input. Weirdly the phone works fine over bluetooth.
Have you tried this yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #271
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLoky06 View Post
Have you tried this yet?
Eh they told me it wouldn't work, so i didn't try.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #272
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
My AVIN Media Volume max is 40. I purchased mine in early Jan, assuming yours is more recent, I wonder if this is the volume fix?
Hey, you were correct. I have mine set to 30.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #273
fantaxp7
Rep
Drives: 2014 xDrive50i Msport

Anyone have a link to the latest firmware?

I am having issues rooting. Kingroot looked like it worked ok, then supersume seemed to only work half way through. Now it has removed kingroot, shows and not rooted and I can no longer install kingroot.

Thinking if I update to the latest I may be able to try again.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 07:13 AM   #274
ggabriele3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Msport

Is it correct that the Avin unit plays audio only through the stock AUX port?

i.e. it doesn't play directly through the stock stereo, rather it outputs an analog signal to the X5's aux in?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #275
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: || E70 35i | R32 GTR ||

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggabriele3 View Post
Is it correct that the Avin unit plays audio only through the stock AUX port?

i.e. it doesn't play directly through the stock stereo, rather it outputs an analog signal to the X5's aux in?
Correct if I'm understanding your question

2010 E90 335i 1M FBO MHD Tune (SOLD)
2009 E92 335i FBO JB4 G5 ISO (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #276
ggabriele3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E70'11 View Post
Correct if I'm understanding your question
I'm concerned about audio quality.

So, the preferred way would be for the AVIN unit to send a digital signal to the BMW system, as if it were part of the car.

The less preferable way would be the AVIN unit to do the D-A conversion itself, then output an analog signal to the BMW AUX input, as if it were an external device. Kind of like plugging an analog cable into an android tablet.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #277
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggabriele3 View Post
I'm concerned about audio quality.

So, the preferred way would be for the AVIN unit to send a digital signal to the BMW system, as if it were part of the car.

The less preferable way would be the AVIN unit to do the D-A conversion itself, then output an analog signal to the BMW AUX input, as if it were an external device. Kind of like plugging an analog cable into an android tablet.
Yes basically that would be the route you would be going. Some people have complained about the Avin sound quality. Myself, I use my OEM speakers because I'm not to concern with hearing sound from the Avin unit.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #278
ZFRED10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

So I just purchased this unit and am still a bit confused on everything being discussed. I read through all of the pages, but there are still a few things that are unclear - Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

To start off, I'd like to say I just bought my 2013 X5 35i and it has the premium sound package. I also want to mention I have factory navigation. Not sure if that was standard in 2013, so I bought the GPS splitter as well. With the OEM System, I noticed the Bluetooth Phone works, but not bluetooth audio? I saw some compatibility issue threads from people with iPhones. For this reason, i opted for the additional external bluetooth mic from AVIN to hookup to try to use that bluetooth instead, but now I'm seeing people saying to use the OEM Bluetooth instead of the AVIN Unit Bluetooth?

So just a few of my questions:

1: Has anyone used the AVIN Bluetooth with success? With our without the additional external mic. How is the quality compared to OEM? I'm curious about Bluetooth Audio & Phone. Can you enable/disable either the OEM and AVIN Bluetooth at any time and only use one or the other? I figure if I can find out why my OEM Bluetooth audio won't work I can just switch back to OEM in the future if it's better than the AVIN Bluetooth.

2: I understand that sounds from the AVIN Unit will be playing through the AUX input, but I don't understand what people are referring to when stating "you don't always need to connect to the Aux-in connection in the centre console to get Android Audio" How would the audio from Android play without it connected to the AUX input? How would I know if my car specs would allow it?

3: Is the USB outlet in the glovebox still able to be used? If so, does it work only with the OEM CIC interface or with the AVIN interface as well?

I'm sure I'll find out more when I get my unit and install. Just trying to get an idea of what I'm looking forward to.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #279
kms
Rep
Drives: E70

Poor Sound Quality of Android screen 10.25 for CCC analysis

Hi all,
I also purchased one of these Android screen 10.25 for my E70 with CCC. I also have a CarPlay adaptor for this unit and I am happy with the interface and the touch screen.

I am not happy at all with the poor audio Quality of this unit. As a tmporary solution I feed the Audio of my Iphone directly into the 3,5 mm connector of my BMW. So the sound quality is great for me. (I have BMW Individual Sound system retrofitted). Iphone headphone connector quality is quite good.
I investigated a bit furthor why the sound quality oft he Android screen is so poor and I found out that the android system does not have a flat frequency response.

(See attached pdf for details).

Compared to the Iphone connector the Android screen produces a great a attenuation for very low frequencies and also for heigh frequencies:
Result: 40 Hz, -14dbcompared to 1 kHz
Result: 15 kHz, -20db compared to 1 kHz

Also it produces high distortion on high frequencies (probably caused by bad coding): Reproduction of 10 kHz sinus signal,
10 kHz reproduction: -3,8 dB, 6100 Hz with -23 dB!
THD > 10%
Reproduction sounds dirty.

This means for me that this unit can only be used for people with a low level sound system in their cars.

Has anybody an idea how I can connect an external USB to 3,5 mm sound card/adapter?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Android Screen Poor Audio.pdf (706.5 KB, 532 views)

Last edited by kms; 03-26-2018 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: PDF Attachment not visible
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #280
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kms View Post
Hi all,
I also purchased one of these Android screen 10.25 for my E70 with CCC. I also have a CarPlay adaptor for this unit and I am happy with the interface and the touch screen.

I am not happy at all with the poor audio Quality of this unit. As a tmporary solution I feed the Audio of my Iphone directly into the 3,5 mm connector of my BMW. So the sound quality is great for me. (I have BMW Individual Sound system retrofitted). Iphone headphone connector quality is quite good.
I investigated a bit furthor why the sound quality oft he Android screen is so poor and I found out that the android system does not have a flat frequency response.

(See attached pdf for details).

Compared to the Iphone connector the Android screen produces a great a attenuation for very low frequencies and also for heigh frequencies:
Result: 40 Hz, -14dbcompared to 1 kHz
Result: 15 kHz, -20db compared to 1 kHz

Also it produces high distortion on high frequencies (probably caused by bad coding): Reproduction of 10 kHz sinus signal,
10 kHz reproduction: -3,8 dB, 6100 Hz with -23 dB!
THD > 10%
Reproduction sounds dirty.

This means for me that this unit can only be used for people with a low level sound system in their cars.

Has anybody an idea how I can connect an external USB to 3,5 mm sound card/adapter?
Can you get a Fiio? ill try my X3 when i get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #281
argento
Captain
Rep

Another question....

1. In AVIN SETTINGS I set the NAV button to CARPLAY Map, but now I want to go back to OEM NAV...however I don't see oem nav as an option to select. Can I set it back to OEM NAV?

AND thanks for the sound analysis above...
      03-27-2018, 08:43 AM   #282
ZFRED10
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another question....

1. In AVIN SETTINGS I set the NAV button to CARPLAY Map, but now I want to go back to OEM NAV...however I don't see oem nav as an option to select. Can I set it back to OEM NAV?

If you're talking about the "NAV" Button from your iDrive, no there is no way to set that button to OEM NAV. It wasn't even an option before you set up CarPlay. With the unit installed, you can only set the button to open Maps from the Android unit whether it be the Google Maps or another Application you downloaded. I recently had the same question and was told by AVIN Support it was not possible. Fairly disappointing.

I just set up Apple CarPlay for my iPhone last night with the unit. Can you not skip tracks with the steering wheel controls?! I can only adjust audio. Can someone please advise if this is the case for them as well?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 10:28 PM   #283
ZFRED10
Private
United_States
Rep

So I have been messing around with the unit the past couple of days and wanted to give my feedback to anyone who may be considering buying. Not to mention, if anyone has any resolutions to the issues I'm having, it would be much appreciated.

Overall, I'd say I'm pretty disappointed in my experience so far with this unit. Before buying, I did all the research I thought necessary, but there's really no way to see if it's what you expect until you install and try for yourself. I will say, this is definitely a nice upgrade aesthetically for your interior, but the flaws and oversights would have me pulling my hair out if this was a bigger investment. Luckily this was fairly inexpensive for an aftermarket stereo "upgrade". Don't get me wrong, there are some positives to this unit, which I won't really go over, but it's not all bad. I'll add all the pictures I have.

I'll be calling the AVIN Unit "Android" and the Stock BMW interface "CIC"

Cons i've come across:

1: I expected this unit to be better integrated with the factory CIC system. I understand they are both separate interfaces, but there's no options to set what your iDrive controls. For example, the NAV button can only open Navigation applications within the Android Unit. There is no option to have it open you CIC OEM Navigation with the iDrive Unit. For those that plan on using OEM Navigation, this is fairly inconvenient this button does not work. The "Media" and "Radio" buttons on the iDrive controller only open music and radio from the CIC system. From what I know, you cannot change this if you plan on using these buttons to open Music or Radio in the Android unit. The "Menu" "Options" & "Back" buttons work as they should, whether you are in the Android Interface or CIC:

2: When Switching from the Android interface back to CIC, for some reason, it always opens the CIC unit with the "Split Screen Menu" option. I've tried changing the CANBUS CAR type multiple times, and I am sure I am using the correct setting and it still happens. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is a huge pain to have to exit out of the menu EVERY time you switch from Android to CIC. Pics below: Please advise if anyone else is dealing with this and if they found a fix.

Here's the CANBUS CAR TYPE setting: I'm running Option 8: F09(2009-2015) 10.25inch

3: There's no way to "Permanently" set which interface you would like to open when starting your Car. The interface that opens will be the one that it was last on for at least 45 seconds whenever you turned your car off. Not a huge deal, but pretty strange there is not a setting where you can permanently set this. The Android interface takes significantly longer to open when first starting your car. I didn't time it, but I would say at least 20 seconds which can be annoying.

4: Apple CarPlay - Not sure who's using CarPlay, but I have found to get the same message every time I try to open CarPlay Android App. Even checking the Box to "Use by Default" does not work. No matter what, you have to go through this message to get CarPlay to Open. I wish it would open automatically when plugging your phone in. CarPlay does not change songs with the steering wheel! This is a huge disadvantage as you have to be in the CarPlay app to change songs. I was told I was running an old CarPlay App so we'll see if that changes when I update it. If not, i feel like CarPlay is useless.

5: Time Settings. No matter how many times I set the time "the way AVIN suggests" It always gets reset to show military (24 hour) time instead of a 12 hour clock, even when I uncheck the box telling it not to. Don't know if there is a fix for this, but none that I have found.

Those are the main issues I have found and a few others i'll quickly mention: Not being able to move the Android main tiles around. Not being able to move App Locations. The Android interface on startup automatically takes you to the Audio Player, which is only used for stored music. Siri voice feedback on CarPlay is muffled and crackles.

I will also mention, if you plan to purchase the AUX splitter from AVIN, DON'T. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I had no sound coming from the Android unit. Turned out to be a bad connection from the harness to the AUX Splitter. Had to position it just right to get Audio. Just waiting to hit a bump before it goes out again. Bought another aftermarket one that I plan on installing this weekend.

As for the sound quality others have mentioned when playing through the Android Unit. It will not be the same quality as it would be coming from your car, but if you adjust the sound settings accordingly, you can get pretty decent results. I'm speaking solely on wired devices. I find the Bluetooth Audio of the Android unit be pretty terrible. Not that I planned to use that anyway.

As I mentioned, if anyone has gone through any of these things and has suggestions, I would appreciate to hear your feedback. I will update this as things "hopefully" progress from the hearing back from AVIN. Take Care.

Last edited by ZFRED10; 03-28-2018 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #284
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Another question....

As mentioned above, there isn't an actualy OEM Nav as an option but you can go back to your OEM nav. You can hold the menu button for a couple of seconds and it'll default back to the OEM settings to select nav. I did that all the time, is it annoying? It can be but the simple work arounds with aftermarket units right

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #285
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFRED10 View Post
So I have been messing around with the unit the past couple of days and wanted to give my feedback to anyone who may be considering buying. Not to mention, if anyone has any resolutions to the issues I'm having, it would be much appreciated.

Overall, I'd say I'm pretty disappointed in my experience so far with this unit. Before buying, I did all the research I thought necessary, but there's really no way to see if it's what you expect until you install and try for yourself. I will say, this is definitely a nice upgrade aesthetically for your interior, but the flaws and oversights would have me pulling my hair out if this was a bigger investment. Luckily this was fairly inexpensive for an aftermarket stereo "upgrade". Don't get me wrong, there are some positives to this unit, which I won't really go over, but it's not all bad. I'll add all the pictures I have.

I'll be calling the AVIN Unit "Android" and the Stock BMW interface "CIC"

Cons i've come across:

1: I expected this unit to be better integrated with the factory CIC system. I understand they are both separate interfaces, but there's no options to set what your iDrive controls. For example, the NAV button can only open Navigation applications within the Android Unit. There is no option to have it open you CIC OEM Navigation with the iDrive Unit. For those that plan on using OEM Navigation, this is fairly inconvenient this button does not work. The "Media" and "Radio" buttons on the iDrive controller only open music and radio from the CIC system. From what I know, you cannot change this if you plan on using these buttons to open Music or Radio in the Android unit. The "Menu" "Options" & "Back" buttons work as they should, whether you are in the Android Interface or CIC:

2: When Switching from the Android interface back to CIC, for some reason, it always opens the CIC unit with the "Split Screen Menu" option. I've tried changing the CANBUS CAR type multiple times, and I am sure I am using the correct setting and it still happens. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is a huge pain to have to exit out of the menu EVERY time you switch from Android to CIC. Pics below: Please advise if anyone else is dealing with this and if they found a fix.

Here's the CANBUS CAR TYPE setting: I'm running Option 8: F09(2009-2015) 10.25inch

3: There's no way to "Permanently" set which interface you would like to open when starting your Car. The interface that opens will be the one that it was last on for at least 45 seconds whenever you turned your car off. Not a huge deal, but pretty strange there is not a setting where you can permanently set this. The Android interface takes significantly longer to open when first starting your car. I didn't time it, but I would say at least 20 seconds which can be annoying.

4: Apple CarPlay - Not sure who's using CarPlay, but I have found to get the same message every time I try to open CarPlay Android App. Even checking the Box to "Use by Default" does not work. No matter what, you have to go through this message to get CarPlay to Open. I wish it would open automatically when plugging your phone in. CarPlay does not change songs with the steering wheel! This is a huge disadvantage as you have to be in the CarPlay app to change songs. I was told I was running an old CarPlay App so we'll see if that changes when I update it. If not, i feel like CarPlay is useless.

5: Time Settings. No matter how many times I set the time "the way AVIN suggests" It always gets reset to show military (24 hour) time instead of a 12 hour clock, even when I uncheck the box telling it not to. Don't know if there is a fix for this, but none that I have found.

Those are the main issues I have found and a few others i'll quickly mention: Not being able to move the Android main tiles around. Not being able to move App Locations. The Android interface on startup automatically takes you to the Audio Player, which is only used for stored music. Siri voice feedback on CarPlay is muffled and crackles.

I will also mention, if you plan to purchase the AUX splitter from AVIN, DON'T. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I had no sound coming from the Android unit. Turned out to be a bad connection from the harness to the AUX Splitter. Had to position it just right to get Audio. Just waiting to hit a bump before it goes out again. Bought another aftermarket one that I plan on installing this weekend.

As for the sound quality others have mentioned when playing through the Android Unit. It will not be the same quality as it would be coming from your car, but if you adjust the sound settings accordingly, you can get pretty decent results. I'm speaking solely on wired devices. I find the Bluetooth Audio of the Android unit be pretty terrible. Not that I planned to use that anyway.

As I mentioned, if anyone has gone through any of these things and has suggestions, I would appreciate to hear your feedback. I will update this as things "hopefully" progress from the hearing back from AVIN. Take Care.
Answering your number 3 con, everytime I start up my car my OEM menu is how mine is set. I will double check on my settings because I know you can set either the OEM or Avin as your start up of choice. I think someone else has mentioned that in previous posts

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 08:09 PM   #286
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFRED10 View Post
My $0.02:

1. Not seen anyone say they can change it.

2. Y, always.

3. From Avin: You can set the monitor to remember which UI menu to boot into each time your car starts. To set the monitor to boot into the Android Menu UI: 1. Open the Music Player 2. Now turn off the car and wait 45 seconds. 3. Turn the car back on and the monitor will remember to boot back into the Android menu each time. However it sounds like this isn't working for you, but it worked for me.

4. I also feel that I wasted $99 on Carplay. I don't use it at the moment. I'm HOPING they will release updates that fix these issues.

5. The checkbox worked for me at install.

Currently only using the OEM menu, however the NAV button mapped to the AVIN is quite annoying. Also annoying is pressing the voice control button to change satellite channels and it goes to the AVIN menu and I have to press the OEM Radio button and then press Satellite to get back where I was. Despite these issues, I do like the larger screen. Surely these items are fixable and they could spend a little effort OR maybe they're updating a new monitor that will hit the market soon for another $XXX??