XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-27-2018, 03:27 PM   #23
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbakking View Post
What I'm confused about is X5M's AGM Battery is considered "Power AGM" like Optima or Odyssey? then should be snowflake regardless

Or is it regular AGM? then it depends on the ambient temperature car vs. snowflake.

If I had a "power AGM" battery...then I would use the snowflake setting (Optima, Odyssey, or other).

If the ambient temps are between -4°F and +41°F...then I would use the snowflake setting.

If I were using the "car" setting and it was not charging my battery...I would then try the "snowflake" setting to see if things changed. If they didn't, then I'd consider it time for a new battery.

BTW, is this the original BMW battery, a replacement battery of a different brand...and what is the current ambient temperature range where the vehicle is currently located?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #24
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

Confirmed with BMW dealer SA, OEM batteries for E70 X5M (S63) are considered "POWER AGM" thus needs to be selected "Snowflake" not "Car" mode regardless of ambient temp range, not so sure about other X5's 3.5/35D/5.0 OEM batteries.
And Dealer quoted me $675 for S63's new battery, told me S63 pretty much uses most $$$ battery in BMW along with M5/M6.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #25
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbakking View Post

And Dealer quoted me $675 for S63's new battery, told me S63 pretty much uses most $$$ battery in BMW along with M5/M6.
Replacement battery brand is solely an individual thing. But more than likely you either need a 95R/H9 class size battery or a 49/H8 class size battery.

You can find multiple "brands" that sell a 95R/H9 or 49/H8 battery for less than $675.

In the US market...there are only 3 major battery manufactures that make 90% of all the battery brands in the US: Exide, East Penn, and Johnson Controls. Then there are a few "boutique" brands out there made by smaller battery manufacturers.

You can see in the East Penn battery chart below what the "specs" are for the various battery class sizes. Most other battery's specs will be very similar in the 4 marketing catagories listed below. Some may be a few specs higher or lower here and there...but will pretty much be close to each other in specs. But the price and warranty may be the deciding factors:
  • CA - cranking amps
  • CCA - cold cranking amps
  • RC - reserve capacity
  • AH - amp hour

The 95R/H9 battery is the longest (case wise)...so make sure that it will fit in your battery compartment. If too long, then look for a 49/H8 battery class size...because it will have the next highest AH rating:

Here's examples of the Duracell (wet) 95R/H9 battery sold at Batteries Plus (this is an East Penn battery)...pic is from 2013 and is NOT an AGM battery which will probably cost a bit more:

I bet if you call around locally or go online to some of the automotive websites and search info for a 95R/H9 or 49/H8 AGM battery...very few of them with the specs your current battery has will cost $675.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #26
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

Thanks Qsilver7!!! for the info, I wasn't going to pay that ridiculous amount at the dealer, I'm going to look for aftermarket batteries like you've recommended.

Thanks again Qsilver7 !!!!!!
Appreciate 0