XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
NeoChaser
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328, E70 35d

WSTO: Review / Purchase experience.

Hello fellow Xer's

'Tis the season to think about winter wheels/tire setups. Or if you live below the snow line, perhaps you are thinking about a new set of rims/tires. Here is a little write up I have about my purchase experience with WSTO

I took delivery of my 35D back in March, in the middle of July I begun my research for my next set of winter setup. After searching the various forums and threads as well as my local tire shops on tire options, I decided to give WSTO a call. (I m sure many on the forum have read this thread)

Julius, who is known as Julius@WSTO on the board answered my first call. We had a very courteous conversation, he was very knowledgeable and patient while I asked many questions on various options. In the next 30 days, we communications via phone / PM and email on the topics of sizing, shipping etc, all while I felt no pressure or annoyance from him.

I wanted to do a 20" setup, he recommended the following:
Wheels: TSW Nurburgring 20x9 ET20
Tires: Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow - 275 / 40 / 20 All around.

I had doubts on the offset as it seemed like a drastic change from the OEM ET40. Again, phone calls were made and emails exchanged, so 2.5 months from our initial call, I was finally convinced and decided to pull the trigger.

I picked up my setup today and I must say I m very impressed with WSTO. The packaging was superb and better than purchases from tirerack. The indiviual wrapped wheels had their entire surface covered with two pieces of cardboard on both sides (prob from the TSW box). No metal surface was exposed. After taped to the wheel, the package is then again clear wrapped. Took me good 3-4 mins to open each one. There were no scratches from the mounting machine on any of the tires. Therefore I believe that is why they are able to sell high end items as they can take care of all types of wheels.

Still a little worried about the ET20, I decided to put on the front wheel and compare it with the OEM setup. It does stick out a little bit, however I think it is very acceptable and it looks great from the front. I will be posting an all around picture once the season rolls around.

Finally, I just want to say that there was a mutual trust from the very beginning as Julius was very accommodating with my shipping request.

Thanks WSTO.

The packaging.

During the day.

ET20.

OEM ET40.

From the top.

Mounted.

E92 328 AW / Coral / ZPP / ZSP / CA / Paddle

E70 X5d LCI DSB / Cinnamon / ZNA / ZJK / ZJL / ZUD / ZFT / ZUE
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

Looks like a great setup!! I honestly think I'm sold on this setup, I might copy you, sorry in advanced haha

Few questions though:
Would the ride height change a lot with this setup, requiring headlight leveling?
How about spare tire? Are The winter tires run flats? Would think about having a spare especially during winter with non run flats
And if u don't mind, how much did this cost you?(pm me if u want)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
NeoChaser
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328, E70 35d

Thanks,

The ride height does not change and as for headlight leveling, it would be auto anyways

Knock on wood this is now my 2nd set of winters that are non-run flats. I don't have spare as I have 3rd row.

E92 328 AW / Coral / ZPP / ZSP / CA / Paddle

E70 X5d LCI DSB / Cinnamon / ZNA / ZJK / ZJL / ZUD / ZFT / ZUE
Appreciate 0