XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
sparky-eg
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 4.8i M sport package

E70 Air suspension problem

Hi,

my 08 4.8i sometimes is sagging evenly from the back like a low rider, this happens intermittently and the strange thing is that sometimes I park the cars for a few hours to return and find it sagging , other times the car is parked for two days and everything is normal, when it is sagging once I open the door the compressor does its job and inflates the air springs quickly then stops.
I had the car inspected by the dealer and they provided me a quotation of 1700 $ to change both air springs, adding that if the problem is not solved I should proceed with changing the compressor which I find stupid if they can not decide which part of the system is causing the problem. they said they found both air springs leaking.

Is it normal to find both sides sagging at the same time intermittently due to leaking air springs? or it might be the solenoid valve block deflating the system during night?

any input is appreciated !

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky-eg
Hi,

my 08 4.8i sometimes is sagging evenly from the back like a low rider, this happens intermittently and the strange thing is that sometimes I park the cars for a few hours to return and find it sagging , other times the car is parked for two days and everything is normal, when it is sagging once I open the door the compressor does its job and inflates the air springs quickly then stops.
I had the car inspected by the dealer and they provided me a quotation of 1700 $ to change both air springs, adding that if the problem is not solved I should proceed with changing the compressor which I find stupid if they can not decide which part of the system is causing the problem. they said they found both air springs leaking.

Is it normal to find both sides sagging at the same time intermittently due to leaking air springs? or it might be the solenoid valve block deflating the system during night?

any input is appreciated !

Cheers.
Just changed my air spring and it took less than an hour, their super simple! The fact they are 290 a piece, and the dealer quoted you 1700 is just plain robbery! They would have it done in less than 2 hours and parts are only 600, it's possible both are leaking but I'd ask them where they found the leak just to make sure. If it's just the air bags then do it yourself if you can it's very very easy
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #3
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Search this forum for "Arnott." You will find that this is an easy and inexpensive DIY repair (if you have the tools and time)
      09-10-2016, 02:53 AM   #4
sparky-eg
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 4.8i M sport package

Had a set of Arnott air springs shipped internationally to my location, have to say the springs are of great quality and fitting them solved the problem

Thank you mates!
Appreciate 0