XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
RPM Surge and CPO Claim

Hey guys,

Here is my questions, my 35i is having rpm surge issues and a feel of lack of power. I am certain that the car needs spark plugs and coil packs replaced and possibly a walnut blast to resolve this issue.

BACKSTORY: I have noticed that when I am driving the car when coming near or to a stop the RPMs will surge up, it would feel like someone is on and off the brakes leaching forward (but no moving)

I took the car into the dealership that a friend worked at and they updated the DME stating that this would resolve my issue. After a few days of driving the car is doing it even more and the car feels really sluggish. Going up parking inclines seems like the car is flat on its ass. So i talked to my friend and the dealership is telling me that there techs will not work on the car as they do not get paid for diagnostics as the car is not showing any check engine lights. (I know this is bullshit, and having another friend who works at another BMW dealership look into my issue for me)

Has anyone experienced this kind of behavior with there 35i? Take a look at the video, surging starts at around 19 seconds in.

any advice would be helpful. I am pretty much at a point where I am going to buy new plugs and coils, but want to get some advice before I start putting money into it and not resolving this.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
Hey guys,

Here is my questions, my 35i is having rpm surge issues and a feel of lack of power. I am certain that the car needs spark plugs and coil packs replaced and possibly a walnut blast to resolve this issue.

BACKSTORY: I have noticed that when I am driving the car when coming near or to a stop the RPMs will surge up, it would feel like someone is on and off the brakes leaching forward (but no moving)

I took the car into the dealership that a friend worked at and they updated the DME stating that this would resolve my issue. After a few days of driving the car is doing it even more and the car feels really sluggish. Going up parking inclines seems like the car is flat on its ass. So i talked to my friend and the dealership is telling me that there techs will not work on the car as they do not get paid for diagnostics as the car is not showing any check engine lights. (I know this is bullshit, and having another friend who works at another BMW dealership look into my issue for me)

Has anyone experienced this kind of behavior with there 35i? Take a look at the video, surging starts at around 19 seconds in.

any advice would be helpful. I am pretty much at a point where I am going to buy new plugs and coils, but want to get some advice before I start putting money into it and not resolving this.
If you have access to Rheingold, try to pull Air-to-fuel-ratio numbers - it's possible that you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Also, if the spark plug replacement interval is 60K miles, so if it hasn't been changed, you're well past the due date.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I just looked at my records, and the spark plugs were last replaced on 9/16/14.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

I had the exact same issue and had my transmission fluid as well as the transfer case and diff's fluid changed and it was resolved.

I'm thinking try having the trans fluid flushed.
It transformed the way the car drove, needed it bad, I took the car into the dealer at 100k miles and had the walnut blast done but they said I could have waited till 150k miles as it was pretty clean still. They said the x5 due to different programming and stuff they have seen less oil char buildup where as the cars with the n55 need it bad at 100k

But the surge was fixed with the fluid change so I'd start their. I know it sounds strange but I also tried updates and all and didn't help.
So give it a shot, Probably need to do it anyway if your high mileage.

As far as lost power not sure their I only ever experienced the rpm surge while braking just before a complete stop.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #5
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I had the exact same issue and had my transmission fluid as well as the transfer case and diff's fluid changed and it was resolved.

I'm thinking try having the trans fluid flushed.
It transformed the way the car drove, needed it bad, I took the car into the dealer at 100k miles and had the walnut blast done but they said I could have waited till 150k miles as it was pretty clean still. They said the x5 due to different programming and stuff they have seen less oil char buildup where as the cars with the n55 need it bad at 100k

But the surge was fixed with the fluid change so I'd start their. I know it sounds strange but I also tried updates and all and didn't help.
So give it a shot, Probably need to do it anyway if your high mileage.

As far as lost power not sure their I only ever experienced the rpm surge while braking just before a complete stop.
interesting. thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0