XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
dickbutt
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Anyone have any idea what this transmission whine is? UPDATE: Bad Idler Pulley

Hello all,

So I have a 2012 X5 xDrive35d that I custom ordered and purchased brand new four years ago. Warranty's gone and it is almost at 46k on the odo.

As luck would have it, two months after warranty, I start hearing this whining as I'm accelerating and I believe it is coming from the transmission. The sound increases and decreases as the RPMs go up and shifts. No noticeable decrease in vehicle performance and no lights on the dash.

The whine sounds like an electric golf cart or sometimes like a crying cat. It's most noticeable between gears 1-3. It happens when the vehicle is both cold and hot. The sound also happens if I lay off the gas approaching a red light and let it coast. Also happens when on P and the engine is revved.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck this sound is? I'm hoping it's something simple (low ATF fluid?) that perhaps a transmission fluid change may fix. I've looked around on the underside of the car and my garage floor and have not found any indications of leaks.

Below is my video of the noise. I manually shifted so that the RPMs can go higher and it can be heard easier but it does it normally on D as well.

Last edited by dickbutt; 08-24-2016 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
RustyX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5m

Could potentially be water, oil, or vac pump (in my case)...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Well it sounds like it's rpm related so I'd say it's something engine related, but does it make the noise while in park or Neutral and rev the engine ? If it does then you can probably say it's engine related for sure.

I would normally say wine is sometimes diff related.

Haven't heard that on mine. I would suggest a fluid flush anyhow as your getting up in the miles but you could wait till 75k miles.

My trans was transformed with the flush and the jerkiness stopped after it and shifts like brand new so it does help. Good luck with your diagnoses.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
dickbutt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Well it sounds like it's rpm related so I'd say it's something engine related, but does it make the noise while in park or Neutral and rev the engine ? If it does then you can probably say it's engine related for sure.

Haven't heard that on mine. I would suggest a fluid flush anyhow as your getting up in the miles but you could wait till 75k miles.

My trans was transformed with the flush and the jerkiness stopped after it and shifts like brand new so it does help. Good luck with your diagnoses.
Well it still does it after I put the vehicle in Park and rev the engine. Someone suggested that it might be one of the pulleys making noise and is unlikely the transmission or anything behind that.

I have 46k miles. I actually considered getting the trans fluid/filter changed recently to maybe perhaps cross out the possibility that it was the transmission making the noise. So I called the dealer... SA laughed and told me it's lifetime and they simply don't do it. Guess I'll have to find an indy for that.

I just really hope it's the pulley with the bolt that was replaced under recall actiing up... then I can blame the service department and get it fixed free.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickbutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

Well it still does it after I put the vehicle in Park and rev the engine. Someone suggested that it might be one of the pulleys making noise and is unlikely the transmission or anything behind that.

I have 46k miles. I actually considered getting the trans fluid/filter changed recently to maybe perhaps cross out the possibility that it was the transmission making the noise. So I called the dealer... SA laughed and told me it's lifetime and they simply don't do it. Guess I'll have to find an indy for that.

I just really hope it's the pulley with the bolt that was replaced under recall actiing up... then I can blame the service department and get it fixed free.
Life time bullshit just gets to me like you wouldn't believe !

Even the manufacturer of the trans recommends it at 75k or somewhere around their.

My dealer had a machine that transfers the fluid and cleans it out, really made a difference on mine. I guess it depends on how long you plan on keeping the truck, if it's a keeper then do it sooner than later and change it every 50k you'll get many more lifetimes out of the trans.

I agree it sounds more engine related.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 05:52 AM   #6
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
I spoke with someone at ZF a couple of years ago about the "lifetime" aspect if the fluid. He said that is only some "agreement" between ZF and BMW. He concurred that it should be periodically changed, but couldn't provide a recommended interval.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #7
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
I spoke with someone at ZF a couple of years ago about the "lifetime" aspect if the fluid. He said that is only some "agreement" between ZF and BMW. He concurred that it should be periodically changed, but couldn't provide a recommended interval.
When your driving put it in N and see if the sound is still there ... I'm dealing with a similar thing on the 335, I'll be going under the car to check oil level which is a pain to check, has to be between 85 and 95 degs and car running, open fill plug it should only drip a thin film ...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
PGas32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Super Duty

I have something on my X5 that sounds similar. I'm assuming it's a bad pulley/bearing somewhere, but I'm curious to see what you find.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #9
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Sometimes the engine oil pump can make that noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Mine makes a similar noise as well. xdrive 5.0.

See if it gets better or worse with the AC on / off. On mine the noise is increased with the AC on, but doesn't entirely go away when the air is off. I'm thinking it might be the alternator, or bearings in it, or possible an idler pulley.

You could also turn the wheels back and forth in the driveway and see if it's worse / same etc.

If it makes the same noises in P / N then my first belief would be one the engine accessories, like alternator.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #11
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

While in N have you test with the A/C on and off. If the noise changes with it on id first suspect it's pulley related.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 11:53 PM   #12
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Mine does it in N or D. It's louder with A/C on but still there none the less. I think it's a pulley or Alternator. Haven't had the urge to convince my wife to help diagnose it. Just need someone to rev it up a bit while listening under the hood.

Noise doesn't change when turning the steering wheel so I'm pretty sure that's not it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #13
dickbutt
Rep

UPDATE: I went to the dealership to get it diagnosed for $160. They gave me a loaner for a week so I will count it as a rental cost

The result was a failing idler pulley. They wanted $1,000. I said no... I'd rather use the money on some new tires and a vacation. I bought a new pulley from their parts dept. for $55 and installed it myself. Took me 6 hours because this was my first time working on this car so I wanted to be careful, there was a lack of DIY on the Internet (not many people have the diesel apparently), and I am an idiot in general. Thank goodness the fan in front is electric and is technically only held on by two tabs (as opposed to my father's old E39 which is connected to the engine).

Now the whine's gone! Wheeee!
Appreciate 0