XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
chasenothing
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Key locked inside car

Hello there,

Relatively new to the forum with a 2012 X5d. We recently had to intentionally break into the car due to the car locking with the key inside. My wife keeps the keys in her purse and as soon as she closed the door it locked. Luckily my infant son was not in locked in the car with it. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is this an issue where I should bring the truck to the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasenothing
Hello there,

Relatively new to the forum with a 2012 X5d. We recently had to intentionally break into the car due to the car locking with the key inside. My wife keeps the keys in her purse and as soon as she closed the door it locked. Luckily my infant son was not in locked in the car with it. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is this an issue where I should bring the truck to the dealership?
Yea that's strange my rear hatch pops open if it doesn't sense anyone in the car and the key is in her purse. Our old A6 did the same thing. Wouldn't lock the keys in the car.

Both had comfort access though not sure if that's the issue.

Does your X5 have comfort access? I would figure that was a standard feature at this price point. Not sure though.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

My wife did lock the car with infant in the car once. Luckily it was in an underground garage and I wasn't traveling on business, so I could go help her.

BMW Seattle had no response to how that was possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 01:30 AM   #4
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

My wife did it once and locked in infant inside too and I caught my self do it too. What happens is if she opens the door with the purse on her and while opening accidentally touches the lock area while the door is swinging on opening the door, it locks the car. Then put the purse inside the car and close the door, it beeps and it's locked.

It's a flaw on the handle design, gotta be careful when opening the door. I have the mirrors set to fold on lock, so now I.know if it locks in that manor
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
Actually tried locking my keys in the car, tried locking it manually from inside but it wouldnt lock. Tried locking it with the door handle (comfort access) and it wouldn't lock.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

You can try locking the car with the key outside while the doors are open then putting the key in the car
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
Parise2713
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 FBO E70 X5

Mine locked on me once too. Think mine was due to the batteries being weak in the key itself. Once I changed the batteries I was good to go. When they were low the comfort access didn't sense the key in the car.

Padnydetailing.com

IG/ Facebook: Padnydetailing
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 10:54 PM   #8
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

This has happened twice to me in the most inconvenient of situations, a far way from home.

I traced it to a low battery charge in the key fob, replaced the battery and the trunk popped as it should.

Both times the key was in my laptop bag, thus poor transmitting to the internal sensor. Still, that's a flaw in design, it should be fool proof considering the consequences that can result-child or pet in car, summer, locked out..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFFZA
This has happened twice to me in the most inconvenient of situations, a far way from home.

I traced it to a low battery charge in the key fob, replaced the battery and the trunk popped as it should.

Both times the key was in my laptop bag, thus poor transmitting to the internal sensor. Still, that's a flaw in design, it should be fool proof considering the consequences that can result-child or pet in car, summer, locked out..
Well if my babes or the dog where locked inside with no way to get them out in a reasonable fashion I'd just bust the glass. Glass is cheap anyway. Now I have a slim wallet key just in case as well as a few spares in the safe.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #10
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

A bit off topic, but my personal habit when my kid was in the car was to never close all the doors with the kid inside. I would always open another before closing the first. That way I didn't have to worry about the doors locking.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #11
Tailwinds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6m

Yes, it's happened to me three times. Once I had to call out pop a lock. No comfort accesses system. BMW had my car for a few days and was able to repeat it once but they never figured out why. It has done this when using the driver door as well as the rear hatch.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #12
xpl0sive
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've locked my key in my car too. It happens if you have your key on you, then accidentally touch the lock part on the handle with the door open, then put your keys inside (in your bag, for example) and then close the door, the car will lock. Definitely a flaw in design. car shouldn't try to lock while one of the doors is open.
Appreciate 0