F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 67 reg F30 335D X Drive replacement front pads
ARMA SPEED

04-20-2023, 02:02 PM   #1
WJ95
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D X Drive F30 LCI 67 re

67 reg F30 335D X Drive replacement front pads

So I've had my 67 reg F30 LCI 335DX since December 2022, it came with what I can only assume are "original pads" or "OEM" as they are frankly not great. The initial bite is not brilliant and for a 3L car with over 300 BHP it's quite dissapointing, the caliper looks like the basic 4? piston one and it's grey, not "M Sport" blue or painted another colour. The front rotors appear to be 340mm in diameter.

I want to replace the pads with something much better, i've heard that StopTech, EBC Red/Yellow stuff are very good performance "road" car brakes and i've previously always used Brembo pads on my previous cars.

What i'd like to know is that I assume these pads are just "clip in" and will fit? I've seen some of the EBC pads state that they will ONLY fit a Brembo brake caliper... i've no idea if mine is or isn't, it's just a standard brake caliper grey in colour and doesn't appear to have any obvious text/marking on it.

I'm also curious to know what the folks on here are running and their views.

I can tolerate brake dust, but I don't like squealing and want strong bite performance, the ones the vehicle came with are frankly awful compared to my parent's BMW X1 which has very "grabby" brakes. The ones on my 335D are to the point where I have to "brake earlier" and spend longer on the brake pedal than cars with brakes that have more bite to them, I also feel a slight juddering sensation from the car (either very slight wheel wobble or the brake pads themselves) under braking load.

The car has been in the garage recently as it was involved in a hit and run accident where it was struck side on, and had a lot of replacement parts including suspension components, and a whole new steering rack, so i'm confident this slight juddering is nothing "untoward". It was also present prior to the accident.

As much as i'd like a Big Brake Kit i don't have a spare £3k-£5k laying about to fit one, otherwise I would.

The rotors are fine for the time being but i'll likely replace those soon with StopTech or something akin and preferably drilled discs.

As I understand brake pads will only fit a certain rotor size? I.e I have 340mm front rotors and therefore I assume some pads won't fit them - only asking as one site does not list the compatible rotor size on some of the EBC brakes I looked at.

Although the photo of the calipers isn't my photo, mine are exactly the same as these, same colour, and no text on them.

View post on imgur.com

It's the grey one of these - the 4 piston by the look of it. My VIN has option code P337A

View post on imgur.com

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by WJ95; 04-20-2023 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0