XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Dinan vs BMW original Performance Power Kit 11122183957

Can someone please comment and/or suggest what are the advantage/disadvantages of going with either Dinan Performance Power Kit (additional 95HP) or with BMW Performance Power Kit 11122183957 (additional 40HP) for 09 X6 E71 with 4.4L twin turbo (400HP) engine
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
concerthiker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 11 X6 5 / 09 Z4 35

I have the Stage 2 Dinan software for my 2011 X6 5.0. Incredible. This is the 3rd BMW I've installed the Dinan remap in. Love it. In the X6, brings it to 495hp and 575lb ft torque. Eats up the road. You get more power/performance out of the Dinan than the BMW upgrade, but I think you pay more for it (still, price to performance ratio, the Dinan is a better buy). In terms of warranty.......the official story is you may need to take the car to a Dinan shop/BMW Dinan dealer for warranty repair work which BMW claims relates to the upgrade. Most non-Dinan BMW service centers generally work with it anyway. Shop the dealers though. There are 2 in North Jersey, one a BMW center, the other just a Dinan dealer (most of these techs come from BMW and get trained in Dinan). I've been going to this dealer for years, since before BMW become a Dinan dealer. I trust them, have sent friends there, have upgraded 3 cars there myself. One advantage from them specifically - check your dealers - they will reinstall the Dinan software if BMW has to reprogram your car at no charge. The BMW center by my may do the same thing, but I have no experience with them. Last thing I can tell you.......from a trade in or resale to BMW perspective, the Dinan upgrade may only be "recognized" by Dinan BMW centers where the BMW performance upgrade is honored by all BMW dealers since they can all install them (or most at least). Either way, you'll appreciate the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by concerthiker View Post
I have the Stage 2 Dinan software for my 2011 X6 5.0. Incredible. This is the 3rd BMW I've installed the Dinan remap in. Love it. In the X6, brings it to 495hp and 575lb ft torque. Eats up the road. You get more power/performance out of the Dinan than the BMW upgrade, but I think you pay more for it (still, price to performance ratio, the Dinan is a better buy). In terms of warranty.......the official story is you may need to take the car to a Dinan shop/BMW Dinan dealer for warranty repair work which BMW claims relates to the upgrade. Most non-Dinan BMW service centers generally work with it anyway. Shop the dealers though. There are 2 in North Jersey, one a BMW center, the other just a Dinan dealer (most of these techs come from BMW and get trained in Dinan). I've been going to this dealer for years, since before BMW become a Dinan dealer. I trust them, have sent friends there, have upgraded 3 cars there myself. One advantage from them specifically - check your dealers - they will reinstall the Dinan software if BMW has to reprogram your car at no charge. The BMW center by my may do the same thing, but I have no experience with them. Last thing I can tell you.......from a trade in or resale to BMW perspective, the Dinan upgrade may only be "recognized" by Dinan BMW centers where the BMW performance upgrade is honored by all BMW dealers since they can all install them (or most at least). Either way, you'll appreciate the upgrade.
Thank you for such a detailed response. I am still leaning towards the BMW kit, which has several advantages: 1.Price factor 2. BMW warranty factor 3. Resale value. Is the Dinan at 95HP increase really makes that much of a difference vs. BMW kit with 45HP increase?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
concerthiker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 11 X6 5 / 09 Z4 35

What's the difference in torque? You'll probably notice that more than the hp. Expect to pay between $2500 and 3k for the Dinan upgrade. I don't think the BMW packages were out when I upgraded my cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

i got the ess tune for my activehybrid, i'll let you know if it works. We've been tinkering with it the last week or so trying to get it to work.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Dinan stage-2 $3,500 vs. BMW $950 or so. Power per dollar, BMW definitely wins. Not really sure if it is worth to spend more $$$ with Dinan. Is it really worth it?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx5 View Post
Dinan stage-2 $3,500 vs. BMW $950 or so. Power per dollar, BMW definitely wins. Not really sure if it is worth to spend more $$$ with Dinan. Is it really worth it?
I don't think the power to dollar ratio is that linear. Although I have not sampled the BMW performance software, I know that that Dinan tune is super noticeable and you know immediately what you've paid for. Having had BMWs for many years, mostly ///M models, I've experienced that BMW is conservative in their approach. I would rather spend more on an upgrade that I will definitely recognize than blow a $1000 on something that may not make a difference, except psychologically. I've never had to ask myself if the Dinan made a difference. When we're talking about horse power, especially in low quantities, the verdict can be very subjective.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess///M View Post
I don't think the power to dollar ratio is that linear. Although I have not sampled the BMW performance software, I know that that Dinan tune is super noticeable and you know immediately what you've paid for. Having had BMWs for many years, mostly ///M models, I've experienced that BMW is conservative in their approach. I would rather spend more on an upgrade that I will definitely recognize than blow a $1000 on something that may not make a difference, except psychologically. I've never had to ask myself if the Dinan made a difference. When we're talking about horse power, especially in low quantities, the verdict can be very subjective.
I guess that I better start saving some $$$ for Dinan Spoke to Dinan representative and he mentioned that every few months they are having a 15% discount on their performance packages. At $3500 price 15% is a good chunk
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #9
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

The ESS tune is amazing so far, it has really transformed my activehybrid. It is surprisingly fast now, 0-60 comes stupid fast now.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
I guess that I better start saving some $$$ for Dinan Spoke to Dinan representative and he mentioned that every few months they are having a 15% discount on their performance packages. At $3500 price 15% is a good chunk
Good plan! I did the same thing when I got the software, suspension, and exhaust. The specials they run are worth it.
Appreciate 0