XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
n_sievers
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

Garage List
2012 X6M  [0.00]
Help w/ Flickering Interior Lights - Please!

i have been trying to get resolution to this issue for almost 2 years now. It has been in to the dealer for at least 5 times trying to resolve and they finally told me that they cannot determine the cause (they have acknowledged there is a legitimate issue) and they are not willing to doing anything further. They said a regional tech inspected as well and made the same determination. I have contacted BMW NA customer relations and they too after contacting the dealer and researching the issue indicated that they will be doing nothing further to resolve this for me and took a very negative attitude with me when trying to get an answer as to why they are not willing to work with me in getting resolved. They too indicated that it is a know issue but no further action will be taken. I do not know what further can be done and why i have hit a roadblock in trying to get a legitimate and obvious issue resolved. A little more background on what is occurring: When the engine is running and the interior lights, including reading lights, are on they pulse to the extent that you cannot leave them on for an extended period or attempt to read anything with the lights on. Some may think and have commented on my previous posts that this isn't a big deal and i should just live with it........ i don't agree with this being acceptable/normal vehicle function and would appreciate any help or insight into this. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Has the dealer replaced anything ? Trying to help figure out process of elimination, had a similar issue in our A6 and had to change the over head light switch control.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
muddycharles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M sport

Did you retrofit LED bulbs ? Is the FRM checking the bulbs (there is a way to disable this for the headlights).

Did they change the FRM? I thought there was an extended service warranty for the FRM (that controls light) for the X5

You might also want to invest in the CALY BMW app and OBD connector to see if any error codes are being generated. That would give you more information to take to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
n_sievers
Private
Rep

Garage List
2012 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Has the dealer replaced anything ? Trying to help figure out process of elimination, had a similar issue in our A6 and had to change the over head light switch control.
They have replaced the alternator and on one of the visits was supposed to replace the FRM but paperwork nor speaking with the service manager confirmed whether they actually replaced the FRM....
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
n_sievers
Private
Rep

Garage List
2012 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycharles View Post
Did you retrofit LED bulbs ? Is the FRM checking the bulbs (there is a way to disable this for the headlights).

Did they change the FRM? I thought there was an extended service warranty for the FRM (that controls light) for the X5

You might also want to invest in the CALY BMW app and OBD connector to see if any error codes are being generated. That would give you more information to take to the dealer.

No retrofits have been done. I have the full suite of NCS coding tools and there are no codes present.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
muddycharles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M sport

Perhaps the alternator is failing? Have you checked voltage

Im sorry I don't have more ideas.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycharles View Post
Perhaps the alternator is failing? Have you checked voltage

Im sorry I don't have more ideas.
He mentioned they replaced the alternator already
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_sievers View Post
A little more background on what is occurring: When the engine is running and the interior lights, including reading lights, are on they pulse to the extent that you cannot leave them on for an extended period or attempt to read anything with the lights on. Some may think and have commented on my previous posts that this isn't a big deal and i should just live with it........ i don't agree with this being acceptable/normal vehicle function and would appreciate any help or insight into this. Thanks in advance!
If I understand your post, the lights on the headliner are the ones with the problem... If so, from the Wiring Diagram, and the description of the lights that are flickering, it may be the Function Control Center that has an issue. I do know from replacing the headliner bulbs with LEDs that this is not a straight +12v drive for these lights, but a PWM output used to vary the brightness. You might have a look into the output of this module instead of the FRM.

Hope this helps,
John
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Interior Lighting Diagram.pdf (214.4 KB, 377 views)
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport

Last edited by 95wildtt; 12-03-2016 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
Quote:
A little more background on what is occurring: When the engine is running and the interior lights, including reading lights, are on they pulse to the extent that you cannot leave them on for an extended period or attempt to read anything with the lights on. Some may think and have commented on my previous posts that this isn't a big deal and i should just live with it........ i don't agree with this being acceptable/normal vehicle function and would appreciate any help or insight into this. Thanks in advance!
If I understand your post, the lights on the headliner are the ones with the problem... If so, from the Wiring Diagram, and the description of the lights that are flickering, it may be the Function Control Center that has an issue. I do know from replacing the headliner bulbs with LEDs that this is not a straight +12v drive for these lights, but a PWM output used to vary the brightness. You might have a look into the output of this module instead of the FRM.

Hope this helps,
John
That's what we replaced in our a6 and it fixed the problem, as since it controlled the whole cars inner lighting we guessed that it may be the culprit and it fixed everything. May be worth a try.

Try eBay or take it to the dealer for them to try one from another car to see if it helps.

Anywho that would be where I start.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #10
n_sievers
Private
Rep

Garage List
2012 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
That's what we replaced in our a6 and it fixed the problem, as since it controlled the whole cars inner lighting we guessed that it may be the culprit and it fixed everything. May be worth a try.

Try eBay or take it to the dealer for them to try one from another car to see if it helps.

Anywho that would be where I start.

Thanks much for the insight. Did your issue occur only when the engine was running as well? Mine only exhibits this behavior when it is running.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #11
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Hi n_sievers,

Did you get this resolved?
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #12
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Thanks much for the insight. Did your issue occur only when the engine was running as well? Mine only exhibits this behavior when it is running.
That's a great question to ask to try and troubleshoot the issue.

If it is only when the engine is running, than I would suspect that everything controlling the lights is fine, and the issue is relating to the charging system.

If it occurs with the engine off, then you can most likely assume that the alternator is fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #13
n_sievers
Private
Rep

Garage List
2012 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
Hi n_sievers,

Did you get this resolved?

No resolution yet. BMW NA said they recognize there is an issue but will be taking no further action to attempt resolution, case has been closed. It goes in for service on Monday and am pressing the service manager to further pursue, it also has an issue with autoheadlight always being on when ignition is on and only rarely turning off I full daylight. This too I have had in for diagnosis 3 times but still remains an issue. It makes me think there is an issue with the FRM.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #14
rockstar666
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 3.0SD

I bought the LED's on ebay and after installation it flickers as a strobolamp. Will try to reverse it
Appreciate 0