XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d AW-Tobacco

All,

My wife and I are at a stand off on the interior color for our X5 order. She wants the Oyster. I want the Tobacco. Either will go with the Alpine White exterior and personally I think that the oyster will be extremely hard to keep clean with a 3 year old. I have heard horror stories of jeans turning the oyster blue, and other crazy issues. Yes the oyster is absolutely amazing looking...but I just cringe thinking it could get ruined within a few years.

On the other hand, yes the tobacco brown is in my opinion the best brown leather I have seen on the current market. Only complaint is that I wish it was combined with the black like the oyster and cinnamon. But as some have posted its a great color and owners have no regrets.

So oyster owners...regrets or raves?

And on that note...has any one had their Bimmer reupholstered? My father did on his pre-owned 8 series coupe and it was amazing. Wondering about going with the Oyster now and then in a few years after its paid off, and when we are ready for a refresh getting the oyster surfaces replaced with a custom brown similar to tobacco.

Sorry for the long post! Love having a group to get feedback from.
      09-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Clockwatcher
Rep
Drives: X5 40Xd MSport

We have Oyster/Nevada. Never had a problem in the last 10 months/21,000Km miles. We wear jeans, chinos, suits, walking trousers etc, no problems yet. Black carpets and bottom sections of the doors make a huge difference to the foot print issues you might get in an interior that uses light colours throughout.

Kept clean by just wiping down with a warm damp microfibre cloth, no leather cleaner or detergent used. Still looks like new.

If it is any help. I posted a few pictures on this thread, excuse the quality of the photography.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461142

CW

Last edited by Clockwatcher; 09-14-2011 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
IGotId
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 M

although i like the actual color, i'm not a fan of the overwhelming monotony of the tobaccon interior. having 3 young kids myself, i think that you'll regret oyster. how about cinnamon?
      09-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Oyster is fine. Driven it every day and the only time it gets dirty is when BMW has it because their techs are apparently always swimming in car fluids.

Only regret I have in regards to the leather is not getting Nappa with AC seats. Gets REALLY sweaty on my back on hot days.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
NeoChaser
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328, E70 35d

We choose cinnamon over tobacco due to it having more contrast in the interior (similar to what IGotId said). Went with it because we have a 3 yr old and a 1 month old baby. If no kids, would have gone with oyster no doubt.

E92 328 AW / Coral / ZPP / ZSP / CA / Paddle

E70 X5d LCI DSB / Cinnamon / ZNA / ZJK / ZJL / ZUD / ZFT / ZUE
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep

We both agree the cinnamon is too red for our liking. Its tough because we are both so picky. Thanks for the responses so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
although i like the actual color, i'm not a fan of the overwhelming monotony of the tobaccon interior. having 3 young kids myself, i think that you'll regret oyster. how about cinnamon?
      09-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
tx_bmw
FIFO
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e - Order Placed!

Anyone have any high quality real world shots of the tobacco interior? It seems like every time I see it in print or online it is dramatically different.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 02:57 AM   #8
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep

If you search on ebay you will find some good pics. But even still after seeing the tobacco in person, I realize no picture has captured how good it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_bmw View Post
Anyone have any high quality real world shots of the tobacco interior? It seems like every time I see it in print or online it is dramatically different.
      09-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep

I think we have decided to go with the Oyster for now, and enjoy it while we can and have the two tone interior. Then when the time comes a few years down the road we will replace the oyster leather surfaces with a darker brown or maybe even a nice grey color.
      09-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #10
Clockwatcher
Rep
Drives: X5 40Xd MSport

Jacb,

If you go with Oyster with a view on changing the colour at a later date, it may be worth getting a rough estimate of the cost involved. The leather can be ordered separately as a part item from BMW, but the cost and fitting may be outrageous.

CW
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #11
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep

I spoke with a reputable custom interior shop in Austin yesterday, will probably go with a non-BMW leather so we have more options. And they seem pretty reasonable for quality of work we would get. I would say all in all about 2 or 3 grand for the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwatcher View Post
Jacb,

If you go with Oyster with a view on changing the colour at a later date, it may be worth getting a rough estimate of the cost involved. The leather can be ordered separately as a part item from BMW, but the cost and fitting may be outrageous.

CW
      09-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Jobu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 911 Carrera S

Garage List
2006 911 Carrera S  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 530i  [0.00]
I have Oyster on my new X5, and, well no regrets in 3 weeks! I know that might not help! I keep microfiber and leather cleaner in the storage well in the back, so I have no fear of my 2 kids (7 and 9). They love the car and are quite respectful.
2003 E39 530i - Auto - Black Sapphire on Black
Gone: 2001 325Ci - 5MT- TopazBlue/Black Trackday Count: 10
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #13
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep

You have what I think is probably one of the best combos out there, the plat grey with oyster. Yeah we will have the cleaner on hand as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I have Oyster on my new X5, and, well no regrets in 3 weeks! I know that might not help! I keep microfiber and leather cleaner in the storage well in the back, so I have no fear of my 2 kids (7 and 9). They love the car and are quite respectful.
      09-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #14
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

I had beige interior for 7yrs in my e53. My son was 2-9 in that car, plus his two cousins that are the same age and +4. We had no problems except the backs of the seats, which I could Never seem to get clean to my liking, and the piece of carpet between the rubber floor mats in the back. That carpet was NASTY. Foot issues outside of the seating zone seemed to be the problem with that car -- walking on the seats, food on the seats, whatever, not so much. Rules? No sharpies or ball point pens in the car. (Well, no shapies anywhere).

When I got my e70 in 2010 I considered tobacco because the leather is so beautiful; it would be like driving on my sofa. But I was bothered by being surrounded by brown (one of my dealer's demos had tobacco). I got Oyster and had it for a year and Loved it. Its nice and light, and black, black, black everywhere your feet will ever touch.

When I ordered my e71 this April I considered Cinnamon for a change and it would look really good with DSB. I thought it was too red too so I got Oyster its holding up great. However, after going to the dealer several times and experiencing both an X6 and some other model with Cinnamon, its really grown on me; I think its really rich and I like the two-tone. Perhaps our next one will have Cinnamon.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep

Austin TX! Sweet, that is where we plan to retire. Love it there, was just there this summer visiting family and love every chance we get to be there.

Thanks for the feedback, I think we are going to take the gamble on oyster and see how it goes. I will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I had beige interior for 7yrs in my e53. My son was 2-9 in that car, plus his two cousins that are the same age and +4. We had no problems except the backs of the seats, which I could Never seem to get clean to my liking, and the piece of carpet between the rubber floor mats in the back. That carpet was NASTY. Foot issues outside of the seating zone seemed to be the problem with that car -- walking on the seats, food on the seats, whatever, not so much. Rules? No sharpies or ball point pens in the car. (Well, no shapies anywhere).

When I got my e70 in 2010 I considered tobacco because the leather is so beautiful; it would be like driving on my sofa. But I was bothered by being surrounded by brown (one of my dealer's demos had tobacco). I got Oyster and had it for a year and Loved it. Its nice and light, and black, black, black everywhere your feet will ever touch.

When I ordered my e71 this April I considered Cinnamon for a change and it would look really good with DSB. I thought it was too red too so I got Oyster its holding up great. However, after going to the dealer several times and experiencing both an X6 and some other model with Cinnamon, its really grown on me; I think its really rich and I like the two-tone. Perhaps our next one will have Cinnamon.
      09-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #16
avalon652
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon to be 2024 X7 M60i

Another PG/Oyster guy here...I tend to keep my cars in pristine condition and have been "satisfied" with how the leather cleans up. I've had no issues with anything staining besides jeans. Now there's a point of clarification on this one. Not all denim rubs off...traditional levis, tommy bahama, nordstrom branded seem to be fine. It's actually the raw denim that causes issues (7, diesel, rock and republic, William rast, true religion, etc.). These will turn the left and front edge of the driver's seat a light blue over a few months...I clean it up as often as I can but it never gets back to perfect. That said you can really only see it in direct sunlight.

At the end of the day I think it's more about tolerance for imperfections; mine is low but I've made it through.

Definitely buy a leather brush and go for the better brands of cleaners/conditioners (not from local stores in most cases)...

Enjoy!

(BTW..my Oyster observations are based on my wife's 2011 X5 purchased in December and my father in law's new X3 which came in during early spring- his is still perfect; ours not )
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Avalon,

We are going to take it for what it is, a gorgeous leather and we will take the best care of it we can. And if and when it needs to be replaced we will. What color exterior do you have? We were just discussing if the oyster and white would look okay together...I think it will. How does your wife like her X5? Our X5 will be primarily her day to day car as well as the family car on weekends. Better put, I plan on only driving my Saab to and from work haha! Cheers! By the way, something that I was wondering today...does the X5 have rear air? I think so, isn't that the quad-climate control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon652 View Post
Enjoy!

(BTW..my Oyster observations are based on my wife's 2011 X5 purchased in December and my father in law's new X3 which came in during early spring- his is still perfect; ours not )
      09-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #18
avalon652
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon to be 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacb1301 View Post
What color exterior do you have? We were just discussing if the oyster and white would look okay together...I think it will.
I have the P. Gray and My F-I-L has the white with Oyster...it actually looks great. Against the gray the Oyster looks almost white; but against the white it looks a little more beige. Either way you can't go wrong!

Quote:
How does your wife like her X5?
My wife and I LOVE the X5! Ours is the V8 and while we are now on a first name basis with the gas station attendants (from OR...no self-pumping ) we can’t help but get a little excited every time we hop in and drive. It has actually been more utilitarian than I thought too. I have taken 4 sets of golf clubs with passengers for guys weekends, dogs to the beach, and the daily grind and it just holds up to everything so far. My other car is an '11 M3 Coupe; but I've gotta say i get just as excited to drive this as the M3! (hopefully that's not sacrilege )

Quote:
By the way, something that I was wondering today...does the X5 have rear air? I think so, isn't that the quad-climate control?
Ours has it as part of the 4-zone climate control yes: don't remember what packages it was part of or if it was a standalone option, but I do like it as my Mother-in-Law and I have very different ideas of comfortable!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #19
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Avalon

Sounds like an all around great fit for you and I can only expect it will be for us as well. Enjoy and I will let you know when ours arrives. Have a good one!
      09-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #20
Jobu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
You have what I think is probably one of the best combos out there, the plat grey with oyster. Yeah we will have the cleaner on hand as well.
Thanks jacb, I think the color combo is great. The PG doesnt hides dirt, though I tend to keep it very clean BTW, I just hit it with Wolf's Nano Paint Sealant based on a recomendation from a friend. Its very slick and is supposed to last 6m+. Great shine too.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #21
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep

I'll for sure do something like that, especially with a white vehicle. Have you heard of the clearbra? Any chance you have pics of your X5 up somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I just hit it with Wolf's Nano Paint Sealant based on a recomendation from a friend. Its very slick and is supposed to last 6m+. Great shine too.
      09-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #22
Jobu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'll for sure do something like that, especially with a white vehicle. Have you heard of the clearbra? Any chance you have pics of your X5 up somewhere?
Haven't put up pics yet. Getting to busy with kid stuff! Will do it. Clearbras are great. I won't do it for the x5, but i will do it on my next 911 if there is a next one. The X5 is so high off the ground, I doubt I'll get alot of stone chips. The 911 was incredibly low and a magnet for chips. Try detailersdomain.com the blog section has lots of interesting write-ups on how to detail. The forums there are good too. They have great knowledge. (They are near my house too, so I just pop in and ask questions!)
Appreciate 0