XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-01-2023, 07:05 AM   #1
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

2012 X5D Steering Wheel Controls not working

Yesterday afternoon, engine check light came on. Thing seems to drive fine and no warnings on the screen. Got home and tossed on the OBD reader and it would not connect. Tried again and then it would not even power up. Wipers came on permanently when the key is in and/or the vehicle is running and do not shut off. Also, none of the steering wheel controls work.

Disconnected the battery and removed the steering wheel to clean the steering angle sensor disc but wasn't dirty.

Clock Spring ?? Looking at some images, looks like a red tab comes out on the back and mine seems to be broken off.

But concerning is that the OBD scanner doesn't connect now or even power up.

Anyone have any thoughts or run across this before. I did a search and nothing for the e70 platform.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 07:30 AM   #2
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

OBDII fuse (#134) is blown. Assuming that's why the scanner is not working. The scanner did power up the first time but would not connect. Now it won't even power up (assuming because of the blown fuse). But I've used this Autel scanner a million times and never had issues. So this is concerning.

The quest continues to find answers
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 11:21 AM   #3
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Waiting on fuses coming in this afternoon.

It should be noted that when putting back the clock spring and the steering angle sensor, the right alignment for re-installation has to happen for the disc on the steering angle sensor. Otherwise as soon as you reconnect the battery, the horn goes off and stays on until the battery is disconnected again. Ask me how I know all about this
Appreciate 0