XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
valueguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: Civic

Increased Use of Plastic

BMW is more and more over the last few years using plastic in their SUVs. I am talking about the plastic in the bumpers. Audi used to have plastic in the A4's and I never liked it.

The old X5 had some plastic, but there was still some original color on the bumpers, but now the bumpers are all black plastic! Does this not annoy you guys? I have seen white X5's with black plastic bumpers, it just doesen't look as nice. Maybe there is a technical reason for this (and im sure you guys will let me know), but looks wise its just bad!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E90 325, E70 X5 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by valueguy View Post
BMW is more and more over the last few years using plastic in their SUVs. I am talking about the plastic in the bumpers. Audi used to have plastic in the A4's and I never liked it.

The old X5 had some plastic, but there was still some original color on the bumpers, but now the bumpers are all black plastic! Does this not annoy you guys? I have seen white X5's with black plastic bumpers, it just doesen't look as nice. Maybe there is a technical reason for this (and im sure you guys will let me know), but looks wise its just bad!
My x5 is white and the black plastic looks good on it. I saw a white X5 with all bumpers painted white. It looks ugly. Just my personal taste.

What I hate about the use of plastic and aluminum is that they are so flexible that the left and right symmetry is impossible. I notice all new X5's have different left and right alignment in the fender, hood, and headlight meet area.
      05-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
erick_c
Rep
Drives: E46 (E90 Post Lurker)

IMO, the plastic adds a level of ruggedness to the new X5. I agree with meruyailir that white X5s look good with it (esp. with the aero-kit and blacked-out grills). I understand it's more of a road-car now than before and will most owners wouldn't dream of driving it in a mud puddle, but the unpainted bumpers should serve their purpose of reducing repair costs. Just think, it's easier to clean scratched unpainted plastic than it is to repaint (or 'buff out') painted parts.

What should trip you out even more is the fact that the front fenders are thermoplast and not metal.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
valueguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: Civic

I totally agree with the off road thing and that it was way more practical, and it definitely is. My point is that you are paying top dollar for a BMW, it is a luxury vehicle, and thats why at the minimum there should be an option, whereby the plastic stuff should make the vehicle cheaper, and you can get the same colored bumpers at the regular price or something.

The other concern is that if you look at the e92 they are selling in Europe, a part of the back bumper is plastic, in NA however, its all metal. I hope there is not a increasing trend going towards plastic!

I am attaching an image of a X5 with matching bumpers..I dont know if they painted over the plastic or installed a kit?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
erick_c
Rep
Drives: E46 (E90 Post Lurker)

I'ts painted to match the body color.

Here are photos of an X5 with the M-Sport Package (not available in US).http://www.x5world.com/x5-e70-forum/...highlight=pack

Notice the bumpers (front and rear) are different.

I think you're confusing unpainted parts with the term 'plastic', because ,like I mentioned before, the front fenders to both the X5 and the X6 are "advanced thermoplastic". Yes, in a word they are plastic. BMW did this in order to maintain a near 50/50 weight distribution over the car.

Many cars made after the 70s (and 80s for some) stopped using metal bumpers in favor of 'plastic'. I think we've moved beyond the 'increasing in trend towards plastic'.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123070

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick_c View Post
I'ts painted to match the body color.

Here are photos of an X5 with the M-Sport Package (not available in US).http://www.x5world.com/x5-e70-forum/...highlight=pack

Notice the bumpers (front and rear) are different.

I think you're confusing unpainted parts with the term 'plastic', because ,like I mentioned before, the front fenders to both the X5 and the X6 are "advanced thermoplastic". Yes, in a word they are plastic. BMW did this in order to maintain a near 50/50 weight distribution over the car.

Many cars made after the 70s (and 80s for some) stopped using metal bumpers in favor of 'plastic'. I think we've moved beyond the 'increasing in trend towards plastic'.