XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Bigtimekegger
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Engine Replacement Under Warranty - Thoughts Please?

I went to the BMW dealer last week because my truck was burning white smoke/running rough. White smoke an indicator a possible valve seal failure as it generally indicates that the engine is burning coolant.

The mechanic said that because the valve seals were faulty - coolant entered into the cylinder and caused it to overheat and warp. Because of this, the cylinder walls were scarred and beyond repair.

BMW decided to replace the entire engine all under warranty - apparently the cost in parts and labor is around 30k.

Lucky me I get a brand new engine on a vehicle that has 55 thousand miles.

Has anyone had there entire engine replaced under warranty through BMW?

Also do you think there is an argument to be made that the value of the vehicle has been negatively impacted? - In my opinion, If I was to purchase a vehicle second hand second hand, and the engine was replaced... although it sounds like a good thing... it would raise a lot of questions.

My other concern is, once BMW messes around with all the other components... what else could fail as a result?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
Bigtimekegger
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

BTW I am speaking of the N64 engine here
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
JeST
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M

If it was a collectors car, yes. The value of the car would depreciate but we own family cars so I wouldn't worry about that. I believe on top of the CPO warranty you have the engine itself will have a warranty also. I'd be pretty happy about it
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

As far as resale values go I would argue that it would greatly improve them for a vehicle like the X5. To my knowledge there hasn't been a stigma attached to the X5 that someone would associate it with constantly blowing engines. With that being said you're now the proud owner of a X5 that has super low mileage on it. in my opinion it would increase your resale value tremendously. I think you lucked out and got a new engine on the house. congrats!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Not sure about you, but I would think that a brand new engine with zero miles is generally better than an engine with 55K miles. I'd be worried if someone performed this swap in their personal garage, but if it's done at a BMW dealership, then I'd have ZERO worries.

I recently had my entire dashboard ripped out to fix the A/C and I got it back perfectly clean and not a single rattle since they did it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
Bigtimekegger
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

My AC is shot too... they are fixing that as well.
I wonder if they will have to rip out the dash also
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtimekegger View Post
I think they have to rip out the dash for the evaporator. Considering BMW is a "replace everything rather than fix the small part that may or may not be the problem" type of company . . .I'd expect my dash to be ripped out.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtimekegger View Post
What's wrong with your A/C? If it's the evaporator core, then yes. It's all coming out. They fixed mine and the A/C now blows colder than EVER. So I'm actually really happy now that it's fixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
Bigtimekegger
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Depends on the weather... on a super hot day it stands no chance of cooling the interior.
On a mild day it will cool my interior... however I need to have the fans on full blast.

whats interesting is that the left side of the vehicle is cold and the right side of the vehicle is warm.

I decided to charge the AC system myself... although it helped temporally it never fixed the problem.
Appreciate 0