XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Question Rear View Camera Retrofit

I need some advice here from people who has a rear view camera on the X6.

I rememeber that someone posted that the rear view camera of the X6 has a very low quality resolution, my car does not have one but it will be good to have it since the car has a poor rear visibility.

Now the camera retrofit is not cheap so I need a good advice, is it really so bad ? My wife has a Q7 and the camera is great on day and at night too.

Best regards to all
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 02:52 AM   #2
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 08 X6 35i

it's ok during day or well lit places at night but once it's dark it's useless
      04-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
yyzx6
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 xDrive35i

The X6 ones are garbage compared to the Q7.
      04-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEmZ View Post
it's ok during day or well lit places at night but once it's dark it's useless
+1
this sums up what I think of mine, fine unless it's dark.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
flz9636
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0

Did anyone though about changing into an aftermarket one, i mean if there is one?

Last edited by flz9636; 04-29-2009 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Here's a thought. If the camera bugs you that much, simply turn it off and use the radar graphic instead.

That camera has been in use in the X5 since early 2007 and I cannot believe folks are still agonizing over it.
      04-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 08 X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flz9636 View Post
Did anyone though about changing into an aftermarket one, i mean if there is one?
maybe if you can get hold of one of the new cameras fitted in the new 7 series
      04-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Here's a thought. If the camera bugs you that much, simply turn it off and use the radar graphic instead.

That camera has been in use in the X5 since early 2007 and I cannot believe folks are still agonizing over it.

I had 2 X5's and didn't get the camera. I Installed aftermarket one that was cheaper and better quality day and night.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
I need some advice here from people who has a rear view camera on the X6.

I rememeber that someone posted that the rear view camera of the X6 has a very low quality resolution, my car does not have one but it will be good to have it since the car has a poor rear visibility.

Now the camera retrofit is not cheap so I need a good advice, is it really so bad ? My wife has a Q7 and the camera is great on day and at night too.

Best regards to all
If you get this done do you think you could get your installers to take some pics of where the camera attaches to the connection. I am wondering if it's a standard connection or something specific to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 03:25 AM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
If you get this done do you think you could get your installers to take some pics of where the camera attaches to the connection. I am wondering if it's a standard connection or something specific to BMW.
I might be wrong here, but I would assume that the X6 rear view camera puts out a standard composite video signal. If that's the case, you could simply use a different (better quality) image sensor/camera to replace the existing one.

It also depends on the iDrive controller and how they handle the digitization of the analog video signal and the following image processing (if they do any).
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I might be wrong here, but I would assume that the X6 rear view camera puts out a standard composite video signal. If that's the case, you could simply use a different (better quality) image sensor/camera to replace the existing one.

It also depends on the iDrive controller and how they handle the digitization of the analog video signal and the following image processing (if they do any).
Yes that's what I was thinking, if it's standard composite I have one I could try. I was curious where it connects and how hard it is to get at ( do I have to remove the entire rear floor and hang like a spastic monkey ).
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
I'm not an electronic guy, my idea was to install the factory rear-view-camera using the factory iDrive interface.
I know there are good aftermarket cameras out there, but then comes the problem where to install the monitor in the dash and how to fit the camera on the factory location which is above the license plate?
It will be great if the OEM camera can be changed to a high quality camera but keep the OEM wire harness
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

re' ( do I have to remove the entire rear floor and hang like a spastic monkey ).

Well the camera is in the hatch/trunk lid so you won't have to remove the rear floor. Just lie on it on your back and work on the trunk lid over your head in the dark.

Question is whether they run separate wires for the camera or drive its output onto their optical bus. (" Vehicle models from the E65 on,it is the first time for BMW to use fibre-optic cables as the standard for communication between control units. The optical buses in question are the MOST bus, primarily used for in-car entertainment electronics, and the byteflight bus, which serves predominantly safety-critical functions.")

It would be amusing to find a VGA connector back there. Has anyone got a wiring diagram?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
I'm not an electronic guy, my idea was to install the factory rear-view-camera using the factory iDrive interface.
I know there are good aftermarket cameras out there, but then comes the problem where to install the monitor in the dash and how to fit the camera on the factory location which is above the license plate?
It will be great if the OEM camera can be changed to a high quality camera but keep the OEM wire harness

I understand in you position I would do the same, I'm looking at the last option ( if doable) of just switching camera.
keep us posted on how it goes I know others have thought about what you are doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #15
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
re' ( do I have to remove the entire rear floor and hang like a spastic monkey ).

Well the camera is in the hatch/trunk lid so you won't have to remove the rear floor. Just lie on it on your back and work on the trunk lid over your head in the dark.

Question is whether they run separate wires for the camera or drive its output onto their optical bus. (" Vehicle models from the E65 on,it is the first time for BMW to use fibre-optic cables as the standard for communication between control units. The optical buses in question are the MOST bus, primarily used for in-car entertainment electronics, and the byteflight bus, which serves predominantly safety-critical functions.")

It would be amusing to find a VGA connector back there. Has anyone got a wiring diagram?
What I was wondering is where the camera terminates (figure it's not in tailgate)and what kind of connector it has.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #16
X650i Beast
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 blk, '09 335i mont blu

This is my first BMW and I must say that I was very surprised at how bad the rear view camera was! Our Lexus IS and GX cameras are fantastic. Sad for a vehicle that costs $80k!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #17
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X650i Beast View Post
This is my first BMW and I must say that I was very surprised at how bad the rear view camera was! Our Lexus IS and GX cameras are fantastic. Sad for a vehicle that costs $80k!
Ya there are some areas where BMW is ahead like bluetooth/ipod connectivity (think Mercedes is offering BT as option now) and others like camera/display screens where they are behind. not sure how this happens. I'm a second gen geek and love gadgets but I love cars more so I really buy BMW's for their performance, who else could make a big 5200 LB car handle the way this one does. But they still need to work on the gadgets/foo foo if they are going to attract the female demographic (IMHO).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #18
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Yes that's what I was thinking, if it's standard composite I have one I could try. I was curious where it connects and how hard it is to get at ( do I have to remove the entire rear floor and hang like a spastic monkey ).
I believe that they are running two separate connections to the camera. One is power and control and the second is the composite video out from the camera that runs to the iDrive control unit.

In case you do end up 'hang like a spastic monkey', please don't forget to setup a camera and post the video on youtube
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #19
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I had retrofit instructions for a different BMW model that explained step by step what you needed to do to hook up the camera. I would assume that the basics for that camera system and the one for the E71 is the same as the iDrive controller is of the same generation.

I found something rather interesting. The retrofit reversing camera kit for the X6 (E71) is NOT the same as the camera that comes factory installed!
Appreciate 0